Waymark is moving

vhasler

Since I have not found this topic (yet) on the forums current and past, I decided to raise it here to see if there is a consensus.

The waymark is moving to a new location. I have had this occur in two different ways.

1) The item (for example, a statue Waymark WM9X6N) was moved to better protect it from damage by passing cars. In this case, I updated the waymark coordinates to the new location - and included refrence to a local newspaper article describing the effort. (Latter will be another waymark once I remember to stop by and take pictures of the statue in its new spot.) Rationale: The physical item has been moved, so keep and update the original waymark posting.

2) The organization/business (for example, a thrift store Waymarks WM6E4T) closed its downtown location to open a new place on the north side. In this case, my intention (which I see I have not yet completed) was to create a new waymark for the new store - providing the correct information relevent to the new operation. And archive the original posting with a comment referencing the new waymark. Rationale: The organization moved, thus needs a fresh new reference at the new location.

However, I can be convinced otherwise on the second case in that it is the same organization, thus just need to update the current waymark post with the new coordinates, main photo, and information.

Feedback? I can take either action I see for three waymarks which I have archived because they have moved, but have yet to create a new waymark at their new location.

How about another nuance? The reason for the question is that an organization is moving and changing their name. The Habitat Resale Store in Kingsport obtained a much larger facility, thus moving. At the same time, they are adopting the standard ReStore name used for these thrift stores managed for Habitat for Humanity. Would a new waymark in the new location be more appropriate due to the name change?

Consensus?

I have created a new waymark and added a legacy note to the old one. It is not only the coordinates, also the old pictures and maybe a substantial part of the description do not fit the new location.

This has not happened to any of my waymarks yet, but when indeed the physical object is moved, then I would probably update the waymark. (And cross-post it to Relocated Structures)

I'm not in favor of using the term "Legacy" in a waymark title to indicate it is no longer there. Brand new waymarks have this term added as well, making the meaning confusing.

I would prefer something more obvious like a legacy flag that can be ticked or unticked for a search. But meanwhile I keep it like this, you never know what special interest might profit from those gone locations. On the other hand the term "legacy" is kind of weird for a new submission in most categories and should be avoided.

I'm not in favor of using the term "Legacy" in a waymark title to indicate it is no longer there. Brand new waymarks have this term added as well, making the meaning confusing.

I would prefer something more obvious like a legacy flag that can be ticked or unticked for a search. But meanwhile I keep it like this, you never know what special interest might profit from those gone locations. On the other hand the term "legacy" is kind of weird for a new submission in most categories and should be avoided.

My preference would be that every category had two tabs active and archived thus we could archive the waymarks but they would still be viewable on the archived tab for the category.

I think you should update the current waymaks with the new coords/info. I don't see much benefit of leaving the old location as a Legacy WM. Maybe you could add the previous coordinates in the updated information.

If I created a new waymark for the new location, then the old waymark would be archived with a comment about the move and new waymark. (Since search engines can still find the old waymark directly.) I don't prefer the Legacy option, although have used it as a placeholder on a wax museum moving between cities. (Thanks for the reminder as I can now update the coordinates to the new place being constructed.)

Any further insights on the OP? Not the Legacy rabbit trail...

Sure, I think Bruces idea have having "active" and "archived" tabs would be great. But, it goes into the rather bulging hopper of feature requests that Groundspeak will likely never get around to.

In the meantime -- Well, I agree that the term "legacy" communicates nothing, esp. to a new user. While I understand the concept, I think the term itself is vague and could be confusing.

Here is my approach when I become aware that a waymarked site/object is gone or moved. That's what I say! The first word in the waymark title, quick description, and detailed description becomes - GONE: MOVED: or maybe DESTROYED: etc.

Then, this is followed by an explanation, at least in the detailed description, maybe the quick description if it fits, with as much information as I have.

If the site/object has moved then I try to find out where and give information about it. IF I can visit the new location, then I will create a new waymark at the new location. Often I cannot. I suppose there are arguments for archiving the old site, but I think leaving has some value. Each person will see it differently, I suppose, and adjust the waymarks accordingly.

An example: A church I had waymarked met in a building in one part of town, then moved to another building about a 1/4 mile away. The old waymark remains as historical interest, while the current location is active.

I suppose that in some cases changing coordinates might be the best approach. Let's say a sculpture is moved from one side of a park to the other. Keep the original waymark, document the changes in the description, and change to the new coordinates. Maybe if it moves to the next town, keeping the old waymark would make sense, though.

I suppose that in some cases changing coordinates might be the best approach. Let's say a sculpture is moved from one side of a park to the other. Keep the original waymark, document the changes in the description, and change to the new coordinates. Maybe if it moves to the next town, keeping the old waymark would make sense, though.

Did you possibly mean wouldn't?

One of my waymarked sculptures moved across the street to a big park, but I still can't find it. I will change the coordinates as soon as I can figure out what they are.

Edited by Max and 99

Did you possibly mean wouldn't?

One of my waymarked sculptures moved across the street to a big park, but I still can't find it. I will change the coordinates as soon as I can figure out what they are.

I can sure make a slip, but not in this case. If the change in location is relatively small (next building, other side of the park) then I think just a change in the coords and description are sufficient. But, across town - keep the old waymark and create a new one for the new location. I did this for a bookstore, for instance, that moved several blocks away from a basement location to a more spacious second floor location. It would also be nice to provide hyperlinks for each waymark to the corresponding one. That provides a history and timeline.

Again, just my approach - what makes sense to me - but others may have different ideas, and that's fine. If there is one thing we know about Waymarking is that there are very few agreed upon standards and procedures. We're just all over the page.