http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5679

Changes made from version 3.97 to 3.98:

Added ability to remove the red pin while panning the map

Added ability to set a via point while navigating a calculated route

Added new route activity types

Improved GPS response at low speeds

Improved camera white balance

Improved Arabic fonts

Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from Basecamp (identical maps required)

Fixed Where To? > Address bug that would prevent finding an address

Fixed issue related to not ignoring first screen press after backlight times out

Fixed shutdown related to a shortcut that locks a specific orientation

Problems with this beta software may be reported to MontanaBeta@garmin.com

Dude, the Montana just keeps getting better and better. I love to see "Added" in the change log!

The Montana is pulling further and further away from the rest of the pack. I used an Oregon 450 at work the other day and I hated it. :)

Some screenshots of the new features:

Removal of the red pin is facilitated by tapping the "x" on the display bar along the top.

1334888866.jpg

New routing activities.

1334889083.jpg1334889122.jpg

Routing "Via" option.

1334889175.jpg

Edited by yogazoo

Dude, the Montana just keeps getting better and better. I love to see "Added" in the change log!

The Montana is pulling further and further away from the rest of the pack. I used an Oregon 450 at work the other day and I hated it. :)

Yes indeed, "Added" is a great thing! Those are all useful features too. While the Montana has an off course alarm for a straight line in marine mode, I am hoping to see Garmin add an off course alarm for a non-straight route (such as a hiking trail) so I know when I've made a bad turn at a junction.

That aside, I am still not able to assign a function to the double-click of the power button. I wanted to assign LOCK/UN-LOCK (the screen) to that double-click. I reported it to Garmin and provided them a video. A fix didn't make it into 3.98 or 3.97 so they must be still thinking about it.

I'd like to hear Garmin's thoughts on the new routing modes and the philosophy behind them. I guess its probably as simple as they calculate the trip time more accurately for the mode you're in. I'm curious about mountaineering versus hiking though. Maybe I have to be going vertical for mountaineering mode - climbing El Capitan in Yosemite perhaps.

Anyway, I'm glad Garmin is still willing to add features. I've owned 4 Garmin's now (GPS45, III+, 60CS, and now Montana). The old ones are sitting in a drawer. I loved my 60CS but always wanted a larger one (with similar features) that I could use in my Tahoe. The Nuvi's were cool but dumbed down so much I hated the thought of buying one. Garmin ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT with the Montana. All the coolness of the 60CS (and its successors) and the Nuvi for basic street driving, and then some more after that! No company has ever read my mind like this. I'd marry the Montana in a split second (just need one or two things fixed, and that off course thing above and I'll be looking for a chapel in Vegas).

What's important for a person, varies :lol:

For me, I am still missing a feature to have the geocache description open up at exactly the same place where I left. It's nice they add some many features, but something which is really very irritating to people who try to do paperless multi-caching, isn't implemented. That makes me :(

After upgrading to 3.98, the Where To, Go, magenta line, start point is fixed to the position where I started to walk from. The activity type selected is Direct Routing. Before 3.98, the magenta line has always been going from the current position to the destination. I find no way to change this. Is this a bug that was introduced with the new route activity types or have I overlooked something ?.

After upgrading to 3.98, the Where To, Go, magenta line, start point is fixed to the position where I started to walk from. The activity type selected is Direct Routing. Before 3.98, the magenta line has always been going from the current position to the destination. I find no way to change this. Is this a bug that was introduced with the new route activity types or have I overlooked something ?.

Noticed this too. Haven't figured a way around it, but while I was looking, I noticed that routing can now be done with multiple destinations with 'set via points' like has been available on the higher end nüvi for a years now.

"Added ability to remove the red pin while panning the map."

Oh, I really like this little addition to the Montana firmware.

I also liked "Added ability to toggle map between Track Up and North Up by touching the North arrow" that was added in 3.96 beta.

Garmin has been refining the firmware and making the operating experience, dare I say it, more elegant.

Thank you Garmin.

The most important nobody is talking about.

It does NOT recalculate anymore when importing a route from Basecamp.

That's a big one for me. At present I use track logs and tell my Montana to follow the track log but that means I have to watch the log as it gives me no warning at all if I'm approaching a junction. On a long ride recently I went off course a couple of times as I had pretty much zoned out and wasn't really paying much attention to the GPS.

What I'd really like to see is the Grade indicator being more accurate at cycling speeds. It's a little irritating to be struggling up a hill that's gradually getting steeper only to find the Montana tells me it's a 1% downhill.

Is anyone having problems with map selections not being stored in this version?

In a given profile, I disable all maps except one. Whenever I restart or come back from another profile, several maps are once again enabled. Does this happen to any of you?

This is a long time bug that has yet to be corrected by Garmin.

See Bug 02.

Please report to MontanaBeta@Garmin.com and insist they continue work on this error.

The same issue was present on the Oregon series for a very long time, and eventually solved. I do not know why they have yet to solve it for the Montana.

Is anyone having problems with map selections not being stored in this version?

In a given profile, I disable all maps except one. Whenever I restart or come back from another profile, several maps are once again enabled. Does this happen to any of you?

I don't recall having this problem in the past. I just check my automobile profile and it has my "City Select" map enabled and nothing else. I went to my hiking profile and it has my 24K topo map enabled, but nothing else. SEEMS okay for me.

On a related note, I've seen some people talk about routing avoidances. Some new routing activities were added with 3.98. The routing avoidances have been updated too. Depending on the routing activity selected, certain avoidances are shown or not shown. The problem is whatever you select/deselect does not seem to "stick". Go back a page and go forward again to the list of avoidances and they are unchanged. This has been reported to montanabeta. Perhaps there's some relation to what you are seeing with the maps (although I don't seem to be having that problem).

EDIT: Found a fix for the avoidances thing from another forum (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18523577). Here's what they said:

I found a workaround. Go to Setup >> Routing >> Avoidance Setup, uncheck the selection, then select it again (checkmark is visible). Do this for each avoidance. Go back to Routing menu, and when you return to Avoidance Setup, you’re preference is correct!

Edited by kb6ooc

I did not notice this problem before, but it could be that it was simply my preferred map selection that "stuck".

Now I'm stuck with a file with walking paths on top of my driving map, which causes route calculation errors. I get this every time I change to the automotive profile (every time I place the GPS in the cradle). Very annoying!

Before 3.98, the magenta line has always been going from the current position to the destination. I find no way to change this. Is this a bug that was introduced with the new route activity types or have I overlooked something ?.

Just read on the Dutch forum that someone got a reply from Garmin that this is a bug, and should be fixed in a next release.