Placing a cache at your home

jhellwig

I might be purchasing a place at some point and was wondering if anyone that has placed caches at the place that they live have had any issues from it. I know what you might get people looking for it at all hours of the night but is there any more negatives than positives about it?

I might be purchasing a place at some point and was wondering if anyone that has placed caches at the place that they live have had any issues from it. I know what you might get people looking for it at all hours of the night but is there any more negatives than positives about it?

Some people don't mind finding caches at someone's house, but some of us won't do them. It feels too intrusive to me. Some cachers don't feel comfortable knowing the cache owner is watching them. Will you neighbors be concerned about people showing up?

It kind of depends on where on the property the cache is located. If seen them out by the street (no big deal), or by the front door, and one on the back patio (with access from a side street). If you're clear on what's what you shouldn't have any problems. But you'll still have some that won't look for it because of where it is.

Depends on where you live I guess. If you are out in the country, I see no problem with placing a cache or two on your land. But if you live in the burbs, I would be careful. Placement is everything. If you have a light post or street sign you could place a magnetic nano or bolt on that is just on the edge of your property, I don't see an issue. I just wouldnt hide something under my wife's rose bushes.

I have found a grand total of two caches at two different houses, both of which I previously knew the cache owners. Even then it was uncomfortable being there. I've also bypassed several others and didn't even attempt to look, as it just didn't feel right.

My recommendation, if you chose to have one at your house, is to first let ALL your neighbors know there is a geocache there, and to not get excited about people poking around in your bushes or trees. Some neighbors tend to get a bit anxious when they see strangers pull up in front of the house across the street and start canvassing the place. Having them desensitized to seeing people on your property may not be a good thing either. Perhaps one day it won't be a cacher wandering around, but someone really casing the joint, and they'll just look at them as being one of those "geo people" and ignore them. :ph34r:

I would also put on the cache page that it is on your property, they have permission to be there, to respect the area and not tromp your flower bed, and to NOT search for the cache after dark. You might also want to include as a hint your house number, so there's no mistake that they are at the right place.

With that in mind, just know that not everyone reads the cache page before heading out, or even when at the cache spot. You will probably get a few that will show up at all hours, regardless of what the page says, and some may end up in your neighbors lawn anyway. Which reminds me. Accurate coordinates are a must.

Hope that helps.

My husband, who does not cache by the way, keeps begging me to put one on our property -- just because he would LIKE to watch people look for it! I keep telling him NO... and my reasons are because while I DO believe that most cachers are good and honest people, there ARE "bad", destructive, not well intentioned cachers out there! If people will steal geocoins and travel bugs out of caches, they may likely steal other things too! We live in a VERY safe neighborhood... I don't want to be responsible for "tempting" someone.

My husband, who does not cache by the way, keeps begging me to put one on our property -- just because he would LIKE to watch people look for it! I keep telling him NO... and my reasons are because while I DO believe that most cachers are good and honest people, there ARE "bad", destructive, not well intentioned cachers out there! If people will steal geocoins and travel bugs out of caches, they may likely steal other things too! We live in a VERY safe neighborhood... I don't want to be responsible for "tempting" someone.

If you're shaky on it, don't do it.

Personally, I don't like these caches and don't hunt them. But I thought about doing it for a long time, just because I could and I know some people don't mind them.

It was actually pretty funny. I placed it the day of the Superbowl and had a bunch of people over for a Superbowl party, including a few geocachers. I set it up so it would be published just before the game, so I could see what would happen with those who get the instant notifications on their phone.

The cache was published and within seconds I watched some of the cachers look at their phones, then get up from the couch and run out the door. They didn't have to go far. Only about 50 feet.

The non geocachers were wondering what was going on and I clued them in and we went out and watched the hunt to the amusement of the non geocachers. It was found pretty quickly.

It's been there since and I haven't had any issues yet. It's been found about half a dozen times. I asked on the page to keep the searches to reasonable hours and people have respected that so far.

It's also convenient for me. I'm admit I'm pretty bad with travel bugs and have hung on to them longer than I should. Now I just walk out my door and stick them in the cache on my lawn.

Edited by briansnat

I have had a cache at my last two residences, both single-family homes on typical sub-urban streets. For both locations, the same container was used...and it's a big one...30 gallons at least! It has always been on my front porch, and there has NEVER been any problem associated with it. On the contrary, I have had the pleasure of meeting many cachers from far and wide as they visited my cache.

If you make the cache obvious and give sufficient hints (like the house number), any and all cachers should feel confident that they are looking in the right place for the cache.

I say GO FOR IT! It certainly beats the crap out of another LPC!

Me (and just stating my own opinions) - I place caches where someone is taking me to a really unique or little-known cool spot, piece of history, scenic view. I always appreciate those that place caches like this as well. It's kind of like having a personal tour guide. I've never liked caches placed "just because there isn't one there". I've found quite a few of these by accident, and that was one of the main reasons I slowed down with caching.

In my weekly download of local caches in pocket queries, I routinely review every possible cache that might be loaded into my GPS after whittling down many other criteria. After I look at the locations in Google Earth, if they're parking lot caches or people's private property, they get marked as such in my personal database of caches, and they'll never get loaded into my GPS.

But if you really want to do it, I'm sure there are people that will come and find the cache.

Me (and just stating my own opinions) - I place caches where someone is taking me to a really unique or little-known cool spot, piece of history, scenic view. I always appreciate those that place caches like this as well. It's kind of like having a personal tour guide. I've never liked caches placed "just because there isn't one there". I've found quite a few of these by accident, and that was one of the main reasons I slowed down with caching.

In my weekly download of local caches in pocket queries, I routinely review every possible cache that might be loaded into my GPS after whittling down many other criteria. After I look at the locations in Google Earth, if they're parking lot caches or people's private property, they get marked as such in my personal database of caches, and they'll never get loaded into my GPS.

But if you really want to do it, I'm sure there are people that will come and find the cache.

There may be little that is remarkable about my front porch. (Or maybe there is, but I guess you'll never know)

But there is definitely something remarkable about a cache that can hold a bowling ball and a pair of inline skates at the same time. :P

There may be little that is remarkable about my front porch. (Or maybe there is, but I guess you'll never know)

But there is definitely something remarkable about a cache that can hold a bowling ball and a pair of inline skates at the same time. :P

Your original Mine's Bigger! cache is still one of our favorites! We couldn't believe such a huge thing could be a cache. B) We have had a cache in our driveway now for over seven years. 500+ finds so far and nearly 1,500 trackables. Seems to have worked out fairly well for us so far. ;)

>Seems to have worked out fairly well for us so far.

you want to know why ?

it is VERY easy to find, and you tell all about it..

so cachers dont look for it for a very long time during night and wake up all people nearby with their lights and noise.

caches VERY near a home can be alot of fun if made correctly,

or a huge pain to visitors and also painfull to your friends on the road, if you do it wrong.

try to imagine some cachers use alot of brain power into beeing stealty and carefull,

while others dont give it a single brain cell about what they do and where they go..

Edited by OZ2CPU

you want to know why ?

so cachers dont look for it for a very long time during night and wake up all people nearby with their lights and noise.

or a huge pain to visitors and also painfull to your friends on the road, if you do it wrong.

try to imagine some cachers use alot of brain power into beeing stealty and carefull,

while others dont give it a single brain cell about what they do and where they go..

I can't figure out if you are for or against caches near cache owner's homes. You seem to point out that we made ours pretty easy to find. That was our intent. Seems like any cacher who places a cache near their home would do the same thing. What's the problem? :blink:

Put me in the 'it depends' crowd.

I have seen some I just didn't feel comfortable with. Like the one that led us down an alley in a suburban nieghborhood and into a back yard. It didn't say anything about being in a yard or about premission. We drove down the alley and saw where the GPS was leading us a drove on.

On the other hand I have one on my property. We live on the edge of a very small town. The cachce site is at the edge of the property along the alley. It is hidden from veiw of the house by a barn/carport. The nearest nieghbor to the cache is 200 feet away. I've seen normal caches that in urban areas that aren't on private property that have more 'creep' factor.

Edit to add link to the cache.

Edited by Totem Clan

you want to know why ?

I can't figure out if you are for or against caches near cache owner's homes. You seem to point out that we made ours pretty easy to find. That was our intent. Seems like any cacher who places a cache near their home would do the same thing. What's the problem? :blink:

Oz is from Denmark, and I'll guess English is not his first language, although he does very well around here, I might say! I'm of the opinion he is totally for them, as long they are easy to find, which he considers to be "done right".

I do remember once myself and a caching partner did in fact spend a lot of time searching in the wrong yard at a semi-rural location. We actually both had met the cache owner previously, so felt at ease. Except we had both taken a Friday off work, and the CO was at work, and nowhere in sight. Fortunately, the neighbors, whose yard we invaded looking like kooks, probably were too. :lol:

I am sorry if I am not clear or can be misunderstood,

please educate me :-)

where can my text be misunderstood ?

I say a home-cache CAN be cool and fun for all people,

IF it is made correct.. (just like yours, that is why yours work good)

by that I mean: made so it fit the area, they can offcourse be different,

but in general you want to make a HOME located cache so it is EXTREAMLY easy to find

for cachers, so they draw less bad attention to their business.

I also say, expect cachers to show up 24/7

and dont expect them all to be nice polite and quiet,

so if the cache is so super easy, they find it fast, and go on fast,

then you get into less trouble with your cache.

I found a few of those special HOME front yard caches,

for me it is VERY important to see a note in the cache discription,

and the attributes used correctly,

specially I like a little note about it like : this is a special front yard cache,

all my nabours know about it, and are fine about it,

or please only show up here during day time, if the sun is down, please dont show up here,

or what ever you think fit your area and style.

My recommendation, if you chose to have one at your house, is to first let ALL your neighbors know there is a geocache there, and to not get excited about people poking around in your bushes or trees. Some neighbors tend to get a bit anxious when they see strangers pull up in front of the house across the street and start canvassing the place. Having them desensitized to seeing people on your property may not be a good thing either. Perhaps one day it won't be a cacher wandering around, but someone really casing the joint, and they'll just look at them as being one of those "geo people" and ignore them. :ph34r:

Thats my concern and why I dont place them at my place or friends.

The newest one in my town is on the front of a house with close neighbors- will not visit. By on I mean it looks like it is actually on the house. My first is in front of my house but it is 123' away on the other side of a patch of pines and can't be seen from my house or any neighboring houses. It has 77 finds and 5 favorites. It's all in the location.

All of you have brought up very valid points. I guess I didn't think about the neighbor aspect. I am so used to not having neighbors to care about that it didn't even cross my mind. Around this town I would probably be thought of as a drug dealer. I was thinking of making an interesting mailbox post and putting a cache on it but the more I think, it wouldn't be a good idea.

I have a puzzle cache in my alley[maint is really easy]

if ya put it in your yard, PLEASE put the house number in your listing and don't put it so close to the house.[i HATE those up by the front door hides]

that nano on your porch light. i found that one and them dogs didn't stop barking the whole time i was there! :laughing:

I have hidden one at our house, an easy peasy one ( but a few have had to come back a couple of times) but good fun to watch from the window or if we are in the garden and spot a cacher, it isn't at a front door or the likes, I forewarned a neighbour who can see any cachers approaching to what they are doing. She enjoys watching them searching in the wrong place saying to herself " its not there" :lol: We have met a few cachers from around the world doing it. PS. Cachers do not need to go into our garden.

Edited by ayrbrain

Would depend a lot on where you live.

If you to do this on you own property, you should be allowed to. On the other hand, I live on a street with a very vigilant "neighborhood watch" and often worry for the safety of any stranger walking down the road, day or night.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Your original Mine's Bigger! cache is still one of our favorites! We couldn't believe such a huge thing could be a cache. B) We have had a cache in our driveway now for over seven years. 500+ finds so far and nearly 1,500 trackables. Seems to have worked out fairly well for us so far. ;)

How did your neighbors feels about this guy? :laughing:

854d8adb-81fa-4a95-b1b8-193ad97130b6.jpg

Would depend a lot on where you live.

If you to do this on you own property, you should be allowed to. On the other hand, I live on a street with a very vigilant "neighborhood watch" and often worry for the safety of any stranger walking down the road, day or night.

HOAs rarely approve caches so in HOA hoods they rarely have permission.

is that nudecacher?

is that nudecacher?

YES! Thats him!! :blink:

GC14B0Z Irondale Pit Stop is in its third variation and has been on my front porch since 2004. The current version has been there since 2007. It gets regular visits and I have met a lot of wonderful people who have chosen to knock on the door and meet me.

Because of our two yappie dogs I always know if someone is out there but don't open the door unless they call or knock (my phone number is on the listing).

As others have mentioned it's probably best not to make folks hunt for it, so my container is a triple-size ammo can that can be seen from the street.

My neighbors all know about geocaching and know the cache is there so there's never been a problem.

I did get one funny story out of it a couple of years ago when a Mom and her two kids called me and told me they had been searching my porch for 15 minutes and was the cache behind the flower stand? When I quit laughing enough to talk I told her the flower stand was on my neighbors porch! :rolleyes:

After that I added my address and contact info along with the coords to make it perfectly clear where it is.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

>My neighbors all know about geocaching and know the cache is there so there's never been a problem.

great, so one darn day one bad burgler actually show up,

he will be left in peace by all your friendly neighbors,

think about that option too ?

He'll be left in peace until I blow his F*****G a** back out the door.

It's a different culture here. You just don't understand.

>My neighbors all know about geocaching and know the cache is there so there's never been a problem.

great, so one darn day one bad burgler actually show up,

he will be left in peace by all your friendly neighbors,

think about that option too ?

IF the neighbors know about it

and

IF they see someone in front of my house

They (the neighbors) are more likely to watch and see if they find the cache. If they (the visitors) start working on the door lock or the window, the neighbors will probably (let's hope) do something about it.

I have arrived at one or two GZs that were the front yard of someoen's house. I passed them by. I don't usually read the cache page before arriving at GZ, so all I have is the the GC code, name, last 4 logs and the hint, so notes that the property belongs to the CO would pass me by. Not every CO has common sense and I prefer not to answer to a property owner why I'm prowling their property for no discernable reason.

There are a few nearby that I haven't and won't find because they're in a yard. I'm not going in a yard. Just uncomfortable. One exception I made was a cache in a fake birdhouse on a tree near the street. I knew exactly where it was and the house had a "Geocacher Parking Only" sign so I felt OK grabbing that one.

I think some of you are right. It totally depends on where the cache is located. In our case our main drive is right of a high traffic highway and it circles around to come out on the side road next to our house. We have a huge evergreen windbreak on both road sides of the place. We are also less than 1/4 mile north of an Illinois state park which has around 4 caches now I think. Those aren't big enough to help people move travel bugs so my kids, who cache with me when I'm physically able to go, suggested that we put a large one out along the side road. That way people won't be along the highway, with our drive being so large at that end there is plenty of parking, and it is far enough away from our house that usually the dogs, who can't get that far away from the house (wireless radio fence :-)) rarely bark anymore. I think they know it is OK for "strangers" to be at the end of the drive. I'd like to put a much larger container out but I don't have the money for a larger piece of concealment right now. If I can get the cash gathered then it'll be a much larger piece that we can put a 5 gl bucket under.

I digress, however. We regularly have loggers, most of whom are staying at the park or going on or coming back from vacations. It's been a great place for them to drop off a bug that may be too large for the majority of the caches around here. Unfortunately most of the caches in our area have become "small" or smaller yet. Very few are large enough to hold swag of any kind. We've had more than our share of motorcylists stop by, too. Of course, we don't hear complaints as those who don't like to be that close to a cacher's home doesn't try ours.

It really is to-each-his-own. I don't mind this kind of cache but I'm very uncomfortable with caches in high or moderate traffic areas. The kids and I have stealth issues. Mrs James Bond I'm not.

I have had three comments made to me about the cache. I was gently informed that, in case I didn't know, our wireless in-house network wasn't secured (at that time) and several cachers were able to find, sign, replace and log the cache right from their parking spot. That has since been fixed.

Everyone has a type of cache that they are uncomfortable with. Just my cane-wielding 2 cents.

Gravechaser

Illinois