Track-able Walking stick how-to

JPfowl

I have a walking sitck and an unused travel bug; can I turn my walking stick into a track-able like this: http://shop.geocaching.com/default/trackable-items-2/trackable-traveler-walking-stick.html?

If so, how exactly do I use it/ how does a track-able walking stick work?

You may attach the TB dogtag in some way, or engrave, woodburn, or paint the TB number directly on the stick. Cachers may log "discover" on your TB, and you can log TB "visits" on caches.

I have a walking sitck and an unused travel bug; can I turn my walking stick into a track-able like this: http://shop.geocaching.com/default/trackable-items-2/trackable-traveler-walking-stick.html?

You may attach the TB dogtag in some way, or engrave, woodburn, or paint the TB number directly on the stick. Cachers may log "discover" on your TB, and you can log TB "visits" on caches.

Picked one of these up for my walking stick http://shop.geocaching.com/default/trackable-items-2/geocoins/trackable-hiking-stick-medallion.html or what you could do since you have an unused bug if attach that to the stick what I would do is drill a hole up here the top of the stick than run a cord through and attach to the TB

My follow up question please: Bought myself and my hiking/geocaching girlfriend hiking medallions for Christmas. If I log a TB "visit" to a cache, what happens? Is my mileage from logged cache to logged cache somehow compiled? I am a premium member, she is not.

Picked one of these up for my walking stick http://shop.geocaching.com/default/trackable-items-2/geocoins/trackable-hiking-stick-medallion.html or what you could do since you have an unused bug if attach that to the stick what I would do is drill a hole up here the top of the stick than run a cord through and attach to the TB

My follow up question please: Bought myself and my hiking/geocaching girlfriend hiking medallions for Christmas. If I log a TB "visit" to a cache, what happens? Is my mileage from logged cache to logged cache somehow compiled? I am a premium member, she is not.

All trackable mileage is compiled.

The owner's status (Regular or PM) is irrelevant.

Random question here, why would you want to add a trackable to your walking stick?

Don't get me wrong I have a walking stick, dragged it out of a woods while geocaching, sanded it down, coated it with a wood strengthener, added badges for local state parks that I've cached in, use it a lot, and recently nailed a spare dog tag to my walking stick.

Why did I do it, because I could and it looks cool.

But my question becomes, is there any logical reason to , and who would ever discover it? Wouldn't I have to be sort of arrogant to carry my walking stick to a meet and greet and set it on the table "for discovering only"?

I suppose if I ever lose the walking stick, whomever finds it may be able to track it back to me.

Random question here, why would you want to add a trackable to your walking stick?

Don't get me wrong I have a walking stick, dragged it out of a woods while geocaching, sanded it down, coated it with a wood strengthener, added badges for local state parks that I've cached in, use it a lot, and recently nailed a spare dog tag to my walking stick.

But my question becomes, is there any logical reason to , and who would ever discover it? Wouldn't I have to be sort of arrogant to carry my walking stick to a meet and greet and set it on the table "for discovering only"?

I suppose if I ever lose the walking stick, whomever finds it may be able to track it back to me.

I collect hiking sticks and park medallions. Two of mine are trackable, I really like the trackable hiking stick medallion they sell at shop Groundspeak because of it's icon.

I have a very similar image as my vehicle TB and use the numbers to the hiking stick medallion. :)

I have a trackable medallion on a walking stick, and if I decide to log a Visit on a cache, or if someone at an Event asks what my "personal tracking number" is, all I need is the stick (although I also have a trackable name badge if I bring that). I've never placed the stick on a Discover Only table, and haven't seen any such sticks on those tables.

And then there's the 50 Foot Walking Stick

I have a very similar image as my vehicle TB and use the numbers to the hiking stick medallion. :)

So basically the same thing here as well looks cool, but not really any useful purpose. Don't get me wrong, there doesn't need to be a purpose, I am just wondering if there is one.

Edited by ham fam

I have a trackable medallion on a walking stick, and if I decide to log a Visit on a cache, or if someone at an Event asks what my "personal tracking number" is, all I need is the stick (although I also have a trackable name badge if I bring that).

How does your trackable medallion help in logging a visit to a cache? Why would someone ask for your "personal tracking number"? And what is a "personal tracking number"?

I have a trackable medallion on a walking stick, and if I decide to log a Visit on a cache, or if someone at an Event asks what my "personal tracking number" is, all I need is the stick (although I also have a trackable name badge if I bring that).

How does your trackable medallion help in logging a visit to a cache?

People can track miles they're traveled cache-to-cache, and even view the tracks on a map. I bring a dragon (trackable toy figure) more often than that stick lately, and take a picture of him with some memorable thing about the the cache. That gives me a page of logs and photos, plus mileage, of places I've been, separate from cache pages. I sometimes do the same with my car, which also gives a rare coin icon to those who discover it.

I sometimes take a picture with my virtual self (the dragon) right there at the log book, so the Cache Owner has more evidence that I actually did find it (such as the photo below at a lonely cache). Might save him a trip to check it.

As for its really useful purpose... it might be about as really useful as Geocaching. :anicute:

Why would someone ask for your "personal tracking number"? And what is a "personal tracking number"?

It's the number perhaps on someone's car, gear, hiking stick. It's kind of like a Geocacher ID, although just a tracking number from a TB or coin. I'd often prefer a personal tracking number over trying to write down someone's cacher name and trying to look it up later.

1c57e5e1-84b9-41a9-9d63-efe07edd1c23.jpg

Edited by kunarion

Mine are functional hiking sticks. One of my favorite is a 60" red oak bow staff. I use it to poke and prod with in places I won't stick my hands. It's a hiking/geocaching aid.

My bad, I understand the functionality of the hiking stick, mine is invaluable. Balancing on logs, crossing fast moving rivers, poking in holes checking for critters or bugs, clearing invisible spider webs that are magnetized to my face, helping a fellow team member up a hill. The usefulness of the stick is incredible.

What I meant to ask is, is there any usefulness of adding the trackable tag to the walking stick?

What I meant to ask is, is there any usefulness of adding the trackable tag to the walking stick?

Most of my owned Trackables were revived after the originals were stolen from caches, trackables that once traveled a little while (or not at all), and then vanished. When I make a new version, it's usually a much nicer than what could ever be expected to survive cache-to-cache. And now they actually do travel. Yet they don't disappear anymore.

I might re-use the tracking numbers on walking sticks. It's a number I already have, and though a medallion on a stick is likely the least "Discovered" of my trackables, it might be cool to have at times. As you said, at least if misplaced, someone can track it to the owner if they're so inclined.

Edited by kunarion
Is there any usefulness of tracking numbers on name tags? Or on T-shirts? Or on dog collars? Or on hats? Or on packs?

In my experience, people keep personal trackables with them at events. So as you wander around and meet people, you might notice that their walking stick or name tag or T-shirt or whatever is trackable. So everyone exchanges trackable numbers for a bit, and then the conversations continue. Later, when logging the event, people also log the personal trackables they discovered at the event.

I have a trackable walking stick medallion Geocoin. It was hard to find, and I've not found more. It was one of very few designs at the time, and the only one I liked. It's heavy, thick, shiny gold, engraved. My idea was to turn a walking stick into a "Geocaching stick", and a golden trackable Geocoin would do. It looks good. I sometimes log a "Visit" at some memorable cache. But it's pretty much just a decoration. I don't place it on a Discover Only table at an Event, and never offered it for people to Discover. It won't be Discovered unless someone asks, and although people have admired the coin, there are no Discover logs.

4318f945-2f99-49b5-8a5c-19627decb415.jpg

(Tracking number not shown here)