national trust

hello hope everyone is ok today.weve just been up to fountains abbey yorkshire and much to our surprise they now have a geocaching set up of there own but when we looked on the web site geocaching.com there not there to get the coordinates off.think its the nt way off squezzing more money out of jo public does anyone know of any other properties doing this?

thanks gary

There are caches at Formby and I think at Roseberry topping that have been put out by the NT that are listed both on GC.com and on Opencaching, I guess its down to the ranger in charge of the area where they are listed

Ill reply here as I'm the owner of the GC Caches at Fountains Abbey.

Getting them there was not an easy task but finally I got permission for placement on the estate Fountains/Studley from the authorities.. (initial work 2008)

Then a few weeks later other workers at NT placed Garmin Opencaching boxes on the estate.

One of which is in the same location as one of mine.

Maybe I should delete the logs of folk who sign the wrong log :ph34r:

hello hope everyone is ok today.weve just been up to fountains abbey yorkshire and much to our surprise they now have a geocaching set up of there own but when we looked on the web site geocaching.com there not there to get the coordinates off.think its the nt way off squezzing more money out of jo public does anyone know of any other properties doing this?

thanks gary

One of my fave places! Going to have to get organised to spend a day there now under the pretext of geocaching :D

thanks gary

Nothing about squeezing money out of anyone - Opencaching.org is free, as is opencaching.org.uk - another entirely different geocaching site.

thanks gary

Nothing about squeezing money out of anyone - Opencaching.org is free, as is opencaching.org.uk - another entirely different geocaching site.

One extra thing here.

When I placed the caches at Fountains/Studley the Idea was to park at the NT Visitors centre for a circular style walk.

The parking at the visitor centre is free :D

However if you choose to drive through deer park there is a parking fee by the lake (free for NT members)

There are NT caches at Calke Abbey set by a ranger who also ran a geocaching appreciation event.

I also remember doing some NT approved caches on a circular walk around Tytensfield.

English Heritage can only give Permission if they own the Site. The first approach should be be to the Site Manager, as that is the person whose desk, queries will eventually land on.

If they don't own the location, it is up to the Landowner to decide whether they require "Approval" off English Heritage. The Reviewer will only require Proof of Landowner Permission.

Deci

thanks gary

The local council run country park wanted to charge >£1000 to host http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d98484cb-4e5f-441f-93fb-0b5ec3c8366c for a couple of hours. Hence its now elsewhere.

I am not so sure that the National Trust thing is such a good idea.

In theory I like the idea of it as a way of introducing newbies to this great hobby of ours. However 2 visits to National Trust properties over the last week have made me start to think otherwise.

The loop of 14 we did today at Polesden Lacy near Dorking - lots of the containers were out in the open and no attempt even made to cover them, plus there were 7 trackables listed as being in the caches (all of which have gone missing). The trouble is newbies come along without anything to swap or knowledge of the game and they then take stuff out of the caches not knowing that in the case of TB's they need to move on elsewhere and for anything else then they need to do swaps fairly.

We borrowed a gps at the Vine in Basingstoke after we saw a Garmin notice there - the gps unit had half the co-ordinates wrong where newbies had altered stuff on the gps unit (and had even deleted one cache. Not a great intro to caching for anyone - we used my phone in the end.

So really mixed feelings from me. Although I had 4 trackables I needed to drop off for other people, there was no way I was going to drop them here today.

What does everyone else think?

Hi there I'm a newbie to all this and this is my first post.

We did some of the Polesden Lacey series yesterday. Hubby and I used the (free version of the )geocaching app on my iPhone and the children used the Garmin GPS kindly loaned for free by the NT. It made a great introduction and the children are hooked. I downloaded the full app last night and we went out to do a local series today. Such great fun!

Being able to do it so easily at Polesden Lacey certainly sold this new hobby to my family - I've been going on about it for ages since a friend told me about it but the family weren't convinced.

BUT I had read about Geocaching already and knew about swappables etc. so told my family and I simply signed the log and left the caches as found. Perhaps the NT should be telling their "customers" about the etiquette re swapping and trackables when they give out the GPS devices.

So that explains the appearance of caches on Hadrians Wall by NT ranger with zero visible experience. Also Broomlee Lough

Two new caches appeared near Sizergh Castle estate. Also NT controlled land, and put out by a suspected NT ranger also with zero visible experience.

Boom Boom Trail and Sizergh Fell

Looking forward to cache appearing at Tarn Hows. NT Honey pot.

Garmin now have their own Geocache Listing Site, and through this, each NT Visitors Centre as part of a Sponsorship Deal, between The National Trust and Garmin''s Listing Site. Receives the following package

4 Garmin Etrex

5 containers of various sizes

A number of Posters/Leaflets advertising the Geocaches on the property.

As part of the Sponsorship Deal, the NT have to List the caches they put out on Garmin's own Listing Site. However they are free to also list them on GC. Experiance has proven to the NT Staff, that sole Listing on Garmins Listing Site, does not bring in any visitors, to do their caches, however as soon as the caches are Listed on GC, the numbers start to come in

In case anyone wishes to dispute the above, I recently in support, visited a NT Property, with the Education Rangers, who was on a fact finding visit in regards to Geocaching. We sat with the Education Ranger from that property. She'd already put out Geocaches on the property, before the sponsorship deal. Afterwards she added a couple listed solely on Garmin's site, and they did not have a single finder, despite poster up promoting those caches, at the same time, the original ones, listed on GC. Continued to get finders, it was not until those new caches were listed on GC, did they get finders to them.

The pattern is being copied for many other NT properties, several have had caches Listed on Garmin's site for over 12 months, and yet there is not a single find logged on that site. :yikes:

Now watch all the FTF Ho's run out to claim a FTF on there :lol:

Deci