Unable to see GPS on 'L' drive when plugged into PC

DF n JF

When plugging in my Garmin GPS Map 60CSx I see nothing in the L drive of my PC, however if I switch on the GPS and change the setting in - set up / interface, from Serial data format - Garmin to USB mass storage, then I can see the micro SD card with the map on it, but still see nothing of the GPS own memory. This problem alsio happens with an eTrex so I'm wondering if there's a generic issue in my supporting software. What files should I have as drivers and any other please?

Dave DF n JF

When plugging in my Garmin GPS Map 60CSx I see nothing in the L drive of my PC, however if I switch on the GPS and change the setting in - set up / interface, from Serial data format - Garmin to USB mass storage, then I can see the micro SD card with the map on it, but still see nothing of the GPS own memory. This problem alsio happens with an eTrex so I'm wondering if there's a generic issue in my supporting software. What files should I have as drivers and any other please?

Dave DF n JF

Has it worked previously? Are you using MS Windows? It sometimes takes a few minutes (for some reason) for Windows to discover a drive (such as a GPS) on USB. You may also try a different USB port.

Dave DF n JF

Has it worked previously? Are you using MS Windows? It sometimes takes a few minutes (for some reason) for Windows to discover a drive (such as a GPS) on USB. You may also try a different USB port.

No it has never seen the GPS unit. I use Windows Vista home on a 3 year old PC. So should I not expect to see the GPS associated with a drive when I simply connect it with a USB cable?

Dave DF n JF

No it has never seen the GPS unit. I use Windows Vista home on a 3 year old PC. So should I not expect to see the GPS associated with a drive when I simply connect it with a USB cable?

Not the 60CSx - many of Garmin's newer paperless models will show up but not the older eTrex's or the 60 series. You need specialized software to send/recieve information (GSAK, EasyGPS, BaseCamp etc) and the USB driver from Garmin to even do that.

Dave DF n JF

Not the 60CSx - many of Garmin's newer paperless models will show up but not the older eTrex's or the 60 series. You need specialized software to send/recieve information (GSAK, EasyGPS, BaseCamp etc) and the USB driver from Garmin to even do that.

Brilliant. Thanks for that. I'll sort out the send/receive software