garmin etrex 20 follow un from hating it.

Went out and bought a etrex20 today. Got a very good price from gooutdoors but what a frustrating machine to try and set up.

Tried downloading base map and the free section of birdseye that gooutdoors package with this model. No joy at all.

I dont know if it is me or the unit. So fed up with trying to get to work,taking back tomorrow and will go and buy Magellan and

hope i can make sense of it.

Went out and bought a etrex20 today. Got a very good price from gooutdoors but what a frustrating machine to try and set up.

Tried downloading base map and the free section of birdseye that gooutdoors package with this model. No joy at all.

I dont know if it is me or the unit. So fed up with trying to get to work,taking back tomorrow and will go and buy Magellan and

hope i can make sense of it.

If you are not used to it - I am sure it seems overly complicated - really it isn't - very easy to use device.

Well a few hours later I think Iam might be winning, so will persever. Some help I do need is how to install a talky toasters GB map on to the Garmin.

Have read the instructions on the page without really understanding them Any one got a simple step by step guide.

I think the 20 is attracting many people that are totally new to the GPS game. I did a review of the 20 on YouTube ... And got MANY emails asking me for help with the basics.

I did actually start a set of "basic training" videos for the 20... But stopped when I ran into the sticky issue. I may finish them up once I feel confident recommending it again. ( hopefully thats 2.8 ! )

I do think some on line help would assist a lot of simple folk like myself. I have upgraded from a basic yellow etrex and have foud setting it up very difficult.

The only thing now stuck with is the map bussiness. I hade birds eye select token for £20.00 worth. No way can I get it to work. Just takes me to a pay page and seems to ignor the activate code.

If you hate the garmin you are going to be livid with the Magellan..

Just saying...

Shaun

This is so very very true. They told me they could not help me with a unit of theirs I bought last week since Windows 7 is too new a operating system for them to support. Two units in one week bricked while updating. Never touching Magellan anything again. So frustrating.

Well a few hours later I think Iam might be winning, so will persever. Some help I do need is how to install a talky toasters GB map on to the Garmin.

Have read the instructions on the page without really understanding them Any one got a simple step by step guide.

As simple as I can make it (but it isn't difficult to be honest!).

Go to www.talkytoaster.info

Click on "latest maps"

Select the map you want to download (presumably GB with contours) - now download it to your PC.

It will be saved as a zip file... so unzip (I use 7-zip), and save it as GMAPSUPP.IMG

Finally, (its your choice)

i). upload to your GPS device

or

ii). save it on a micro sd card (my preference!)

Pop the card into your Etrex, switch on, and you should see the maps load up.

Very impressive they are too.

I do think some on line help would assist a lot of simple folk like myself. I have upgraded from a basic yellow etrex and have foud setting it up very difficult.

The only thing now stuck with is the map bussiness. I hade birds eye select token for £20.00 worth. No way can I get it to work. Just takes me to a pay page and seems to ignor the activate code.

The basic yellow eTrex is MUCH more intuitive and easier to use than the eTrex 20!

However, the eTrex 20 allows you to do so much more than the old yellow can do that I think the steeper learning curve is worth it. Still I think Garmin could have made the eTrex 20 easier to use but it is what it is I guess.

getting on top of it now. have downloaded caches and tested in the field using compass. Used a cach I knew and the accuacy was within 2 feet. So far starting to like/ Only problem is the map side. The pre loaded base camp next to useless.

Followed the instruction kindly given to me for Talky toasters. Have downloaded to PC. but not been able to transfer to etrex20.

Can these be downloaded direct to etrex or mist you have a SD card?

It's useless to start a mew topic if the same answer is given in the "old' topic, a minimal knowledge is required, at least how to use windows explorer and you should have a look in the manual and youtube how to transfer maps from the computer too the Gps.

You didn't buy a A > B navigatot, but a more sophisticated Gps this needs a learning curve and a basemap as useless as it seems it is very important, only not now.

The cache was not important, but the map was, so if you go out of the house after only putting some caches on the Gps and no map(s), don't blame the Gps, the Gps brought you too the cache anyway because it needs no map.

Until 2 years ago there where no good free maps and the Garmin map needs a lot more afford getting it on the gps, the TT is made by users like you and me who all contributed too this kind of map, sometimes hours, day and even month, so at least try a little bit harder. Remember a Garmin map will cost you about 110 - 300 depending on country, traffic or topo.

BTW the answer will alway be the same on the same questions.

Edit: in fact know atleast the difference between BaseMAP and BaseCAMP

Edited by splashy

I too have made a huge mistake in buying the Etrex 20. I am a yachtsman, and wanted a handheld GPS unit that would display a screen showing my position in Latitude and Longitude, course and speed on a single screen. My old Garmin did this as a basic function, but like a fool, I gave it to my son and bought the Etrex 20.

It's ghastly. Nowhere can I either find or construct a screen that will give the most basic and fundamental information of all in one place: Position in Lat and Long, Course, and Speed over the ground.

Unless I'm missing something.

The Coordinates screen gives a position in Lat and Long, but appears to be designed for entering a position, rather than displaying current location.

Satellites screen gives a Lat and Long, but no Course or Speed

Compass gives an estimation of bearing with a virtual compass card graphical display, rather than an accurate course in number of degrees, but at least I can get speed in knots.

There's a screen that shows a wiggly line related to my track over the ground, but unrelated to anything useful.

But nowhere can I find a page, or set up a page, giving me Position in Lat and Long, Course in Degrees, and Speed in Knots.

Am I missing something?

If so, I'd be glad of advice. If not, then I'll sell the thing. Does anyone know of a Garmin handheld GPS that has a screen displaying position in Lat and Long, Course over the Ground in numbers (not a compass card visual approximation) and speed in knots?

KB

Edited by keelbolt

I too have made a huge mistake in buying the Etrex 20. I am a yachtsman, and wanted a handheld GPS unit that would display a screen showing my position in Latitude and Longitude, course and speed on a single screen. My old Garmin did this as a basic function, but like a fool, I gave it to my son and bought the Etrex 20.

It's ghastly. Nowhere can I either find or construct a screen that will give the most basic and fundamental information of all in one place: Position in Lat and Long, Course, and Speed over the ground.

Unless I'm missing something.

The Coordinates screen gives a position in Lat and Long, but appears to be designed for entering a position, rather than displaying current location.

Satellites screen gives a Lat and Long, but no Course or Speed

Compass gives an estimation of bearing with a virtual compass card graphical display, rather than an accurate course in number of degrees, but at least I can get speed in knots.

There's a screen that shows a wiggly line related to my track over the ground, but unrelated to anything useful.

But nowhere can I find a page, or set up a page, giving me Position in Lat and Long, Course in Degrees, and Speed in Knots.

Am I missing something?

If so, I'd be glad of advice. If not, then I'll sell the thing. Does anyone know of a Garmin handheld GPS that has a screen displaying position in Lat and Long, Course over the Ground in numbers (not a compass card visual approximation) and speed in knots?

KB

Apologies for the above. I've now been shown by a friend more competent in electronic gadgets than me how to set it up! I now have the screen I want.

Yes you're missing something ... page 28 of the manual where it talks about data fields. You can select up to four to show on screen at any one time. You then have a large choice of what they show, see page 47 onwards of the manual.

You may want to read the whole manual to find how to operate your Etrex 20, it's a really flexible device when you know how :)

You might also want to have a look at the Marine Settings.

Thanks. I did read the manual, but somehow missed the bit about changing the fields. A friend just read my post and told me to double check before opening mouth (or typing). I'll hang on to it for a bit longer and see if I can get the hang of it.

I'm sure once you do you'll be happy with it ... I've had mine for over 2 years now and love it. Interesting to have a marine user in this geocaching forum :)

Thanks, sussamb. I've never really tried Geocaching.

There's a huge move in the leisure marine environment away from fixed equipment to portable. The chart data available for marine use on the iPad is very good. A Russian company produces a programme called iSailor with very accurate charts at very, very low cost compared with Admiralty stuff. I use my handheld GPS as an emergency backup device should I lose electronics on board. Hence my earlier frustrations.

Will have to get to grips with the mapping side of the device. But if it gives me PSN, CRS and SPD with a reasonable battery life then I'm happy.

KB

I'm sure once you do you'll be happy with it ... I've had mine for over 2 years now and love it. Interesting to have a marine user in this geocaching forum :)

Question please: I started again with the Etrex 20, read the manual again (the Quick Start manual isn't very comprehensive) but I can't find a time zone for England / UK or GMT? There's a Western Europe time zone, but that isn't helpful because different parts of Western Europe are on different times. There's Automatic, but that seems to shift depending on your location.

I like to set my electronic equipment to GMT or GMT +1. How do I do this on the Garmin Etrex 20?

The basic yellow eTrex is MUCH more intuitive and easier to use than the eTrex 20!

YES it sure is and the reason why my 20 stays at home in the drawer and the 'H' comes out to play!

B)

Does your playing include geocaching?

Yeah...I've been wondering about that, too. Can't say I've seen a profile quite like that one.

Does your playing include geocaching?

I hang glide, like up in the sky! :ph34r:

Haven't found a cache up there yet but I'll surely log one here if I do... :rolleyes:

Etrex 'H' has proven itself to be amazingly reliable and accurate. :)

For my sport I need 100% reliability, Etrex 'H' is 100% reliable. B)

Don't get me wrong, my 20 has maps...

jrw6t1.jpg

... it's just unreliable.

:huh:

All prices are in US Dollars.

HPC018R - New Caledonia-Fiji $160.70 USD

HPC410S - Esperance-Exmouth Bay $99.28 USD

HPC411S - Geraldton-Darwin $99.28 USD

HPC412S - Admiralty Gulf WA-Cairns $99.28 USD

HPC413S - Mornington Island-Hervey Bay $99.28 USD

HPC416S - New Zealand North $99.28 USD

HPC417S - New Zealand South $99.28 USD

City Navigator® Australia & New Zealand NT (Navteq) $159.99 USD

City Xplorer maps $10 - $15 each

Total retail price: $966.37

That doesn't include Mackay-Twofold Bay which I can't find a price for on garmin.com nor does it include the Sensis city navigator maps.

For one, you can take all the _3d.img image files off of your etrex -- those are 3d buildings which the etrex doesn't support. They're just wasting space. Next, don't have two routable maps enabled for the same area -- that's just asking for trouble. Come back after you've switched to using just one City Navigator map or City Explorer map. I bet some of your issues will disappear. Now, if you truly purchased all of that mapping, you should be furious and call Garmin up and demand a refund of at least $1000. What I would like to know is why you kept purchasing maps if the device is having all of these issues.

No, these are on my SD card and some are for my Nuvi.

But mainly I use them for work with a whole heap of others too numerous to mention.

A $1,000! Try $26,000 would be more like it but the company pays for them and we share them amongst other company users.

I like the 'H' because it's unfussed and delivers what I need for my recreational stuff.

For work the 'H' is no good because you have to rely on maps when there are no landmarks to take bearings off of.