Poll: Tell me About your Swag

What is your favorite kind of swag?

What is your least favorite kind of swag?

Did you ever find a piece of swag that made you MAD?

Did you ever find a piece od swag that made you really happy?

What is the most unusually piece of swag you ever found?

Anything you want say about swag.

Personal signature items left by other geocachers. Those are the only things I trade for.

Once I found graphically offensive "literature". I traded up for it, then disposed of it. I don't think I was really angry about it though, just saddened and disappointed.

I occasionally do the same thing with other items that shouldn't be in caches (e.g., food and scented items).

I've found a number of personal signature items that I've really enjoyed trading for and adding to my collection.

One that comes to mind is a Brazil nut that had been painted to look like a wedge of watermelon.

Edited by niraD

I have different favorites for what I like to hide and find.

Hide - calculators

Find - mini ceramic items (rare to find but my favorites) or handmade items

Least favorite - broken, used and/or dirty anything

Mad - see least favorite plus soggy business cards all over the bottom of a cache

Most unusual item I ever traded for was probably a leather steering wheel wrap - hand mad and adjustable for size

Stuff for kids.

Stuff not for kids.

Yes, Stuff not for kids

Did you ever find a piece of swag that made you really happy?

Yes, Stuff for kids

People who actually go out of their way to leave stuff for kids

Yeah, you're a grown-a** adult go buy your own stuff and leave the rest for the kids.

That and signature items are pretty cool.

Edited by BlueDeuce

swag that makes me mad: dollar store soap bubbles.

Anything new / personalized / which I haven't seen before

Junk! Come on folks, Poundland ain't that expensive! B)

Not yet

A burger king 'operation' magnetic mini game. (And it still worked!)

A hand made knitted dolphin(?) creature

A cache without swag is like a Sunday Roast without Gravy!

I like personalized swag, like Path Tags.

Buisness Cards. No one wants you buisness cards, don't put them in the cache. It's not going to get you more buisness.

I found a cirgerette inside of a Boy Scout cache. Everything in the cache was ment for kids and then someone puts a cigerette in there. Some people have problems. It is a good thing we got it out of there before spring, when the kids would start looking for it again.

A duck call. It was so stupid, and really neat too. Since we end up going to different out door parks, etc., I keep it with me and honk at the birds. It is lots of fun.

It was a little porcelin figureen stuffed into a pill bottle in a light pole in a walmart parking lot. Who new you could get such nice swag out of something that was basically a micro.

Favorite swag? Anything weird or odd.

Swag that made me mad? No, but I dislike people leaving trash instead of swag one chump left his Kroger (super market) card and bragged about it like it was a trophy.

Swag that made me happy? Anything that is neat I just enjoy seeing what others leave.

Most unusual swag? A prisoner's Identification card from a Virginia prison...I searched previous comments no one mentions leaving it or how it got there.

Swag to me is something I normally bring but never take (except for Prison card) I normally leave something I find neat or odd, and something that people do not see on a regular basis

favorite: something that makes my 4 y/o happy.

fave for me: a pathtag

least favorite: lighters . not kid friendly. I've found two so far in under 80 caches. one didn't even work, lol.

made me mad?- soggy religious literature.

happy?- just today I found two lock n lock caches that were nice and clean, and had nice clean swag. that made me happy.... and my daughter too.

unusual? I found a tiny little plastic zombie figure- I thought it was funny

swag: far some reason I'm not big on the actual word itself ( like nosh, moist , creamy, etc) but I always add at least one more item than I take. the last one today I am going to revisit to leave more swag- my daughter took a matchbox car and I didn't have my geobackpack with me so I left a bunch of change. I am going back tomorrow to leave a ( signature, I guess) geo emergency kit complete with tacky poem. ( of COURSE it's funny, lol. at least to me)

Swag exists only to get in the way of me getting to the logbook.

I never trade and rarely only look through the swag to see what is in there.

I never include swag in any of my caches anymore.

I used to trade trinkets, but not any more.

Plastic animals, because I have a couple of "animal caches" that I like to keep stocked. And travel bugs, although I realize that they are technically not "swag."

Business cards, expired coupons, used tickets to concerts or sports events, beer bottle caps, pebbles

Irritated, maybe. See above.

Some new sunglasses on a bright day. I lost a pair while caching once — they fell into an irrigation canal — so I'm even with the universe now.

What is the most unusual piece of swag you ever found?

Still looking for that.

:blink:

Edited by chasclifton

Lately I find that I tend to leave items and not take. However, I just found a really cool blue metal whistle on a key ring engraved with "Got Cache?" I contacted the giver and he sent a couple more for my nieces and nephews!

The only item that made me mad (or, more likely, disappointed) was a bunch of blue pills in a cache outside a church.

One thing I've noticed in these swag threads is all the talk about the quality of the swag, but nothing is more disappointing than opening a wet cache to discover everything inside ruined. Thank you CO's that hide containers with good seals and cachers who re-cap the caches properly!

Pathtags or homemade signature items. But when I'm caching with my granddaughter, nice quality trinkets for kids.

Paper or cardboard anything, and TRASH. (leaves, pebbles, feathers, broken crayons, broken anything...)

MATCHES! Fortunately they were soaking wet!

Not swag... but I'm always really happy when I find a traveler... they're so rare to find!

Toe Socks! I didn't take them ... I don't LIKE toe socks... but I thought they were a cute trade!

For the most part I DO believe that swag is for the kids. I almost always leave SOMEthing for the kids - even in the magnetic key holders! (I put cute stickers in tiny plastic baggies) But I know that SOME adults do like to get things too... so I carry a variety of things with me. I rarely take anything though - unless there is a pathtag or other handmade sig item. I've found some regular size caches though that were down to pretty much NOTHING for swag... and I've restocked them. Leave it nice for the next person... that's how I feel!

Favorite swag: Shiny metal things like, carabiners, key chains, etc

Least: playing cards (I mean, really?!)

Mad swag: chewed on party whistle and broken army men (disappointed my cub scouts, whom I was showing how to geocache)

Odd swag: Nice signature items.

Unusual: Too knew yet to know....

Say Anything: My favorite thing about swag is putting cool stuff in a cache and looking for good deals on buying swag.

Favorite swagHat pins-not all of them but "special ones" from Police or fire dept, ones that you normally wouldn't see

LeastKeychains-Ive just seen enough to not want to see anymore.

Mad swag:An unused tea bag. It wasn't even in a foil package-just laying in the cache.

Odd swag a bug, someone had made a bug with googly eyes and put it in a wooden container, unfortunatly when I got to it-adopted the cache-it had been sitting in water for 2 years, and fell apart at the touch.

UnusualA tiny mini flashlight with little elastic to go around your finger.

Say Anything I never was in it for SWAG, If I see something cool or interesting I'll take it, but I usually take something random and just drop it in the next cache.

Say Anything: My favorite thing about swag is putting cool stuff in a cache and looking for good deals on buying swag.

Now, this interests me. Where do you get good deals on swag? Anyone?

I've heard Oriental Trading Company but I can never seem to find anything of interest.

I've heard Oriental Trading Company but I can never seem to find anything of interest.

Most of these are hard to find on a retail website at a price like I'm describing. I'll look in tool and general goods stores on clearance, or in the grab section near checkouts. I have had luck looking on ebay and also at the Harbor Freight store. I look for multi-packs of things to get the price per item under $1.00. I picked up a pack of 12 asst carabiners at Harbor Freight for 3.99, and those are nice, shiny and functional for any geocacher. I also have gone to second hand sales and picked out nice pins (kind of like hat pins) with butterflies on them.

Below is the pack of 50 small Angry Birds erasers for $9 including shipping. I'll drop 2-3 in a small cache - my kids love these.

angrybirdsbahc.jpg

By ohiosiouxfan at 2012-05-11

Lately I find that I tend to leave items and not take. However, I just found a really cool blue metal whistle on a key ring engraved with "Got Cache?" I contacted the giver and he sent a couple more for my nieces and nephews!

The only item that made me mad (or, more likely, disappointed) was a bunch of blue pills in a cache outside a church.

One thing I've noticed in these swag threads is all the talk about the quality of the swag, but nothing is more disappointing than opening a wet cache to discover everything inside ruined. Thank you CO's that hide containers with good seals and cachers who re-cap the caches properly!

It's definitely disappointing to find a poor container that's soggy.

Yesterday I did a lot of caching and found a few unsuitable containers. Standard tupperware that isn't made to be waterproof, food containers, etc. I won't put any trade items in if I suspect they'll just be ruined.

Now if you want really odd look at Archie mcphee.... I think it's www.mcphee.com I

Coins from foreign countries.

Broken or rusty crap.

Yes. It was one of those you are going to hell religious things. It was disturbing and hateful so I tossed it in the trash.

Yeah. I found a magic card that I traded a big toy tiger for.

A slimy doll head.

Once someone left jolly ranchers in a cache. I think the intent was innocent. It was summer and melted on the logbook. Way to go. :huh:

Edited by DannyCaffeine

I rarely trade any more. I carry a few items in my caching bag in the event I come across something I like. I will trade for wooden nickles or small pins with geocachers handles on them because I have a collection display on my wall.

I once found a live .22 round. Took it out. It made me angry, because the previous finder, who placed the item, stated so in their log. I sent a PM to th Co advising the status of the item. I once found a working gameboy color in a "large" cache. That made my caching partner very happy. In a few occasions i have come across food items in caches. They are usually wet, wrapping deteriorating and oozing mess into the cache. I always cito those. I like finding travel bugs, and will move or discover them, mostly to let the owner know they are still there, since so many go missing.

Personal sig items!

Eh, I don't care. Trash like Starbucks lids and used tissue don't count as swag, but I don't like to see it.

No. I did find a piece of swag that would have made someone else furious. A Penthouse centerfold. I took it and made no mention of it in my log. Why give the person that left it the satisfaction...

Lots and lots of times. Too many to count.

A decapitated llama with a green army man's head attached.

26876_1398667722693_1112271360_1169633_686746_n.jpg

26876_1398666922673_1112271360_1169631_5200962_n.jpg

I can take it or leave it. (That's my own little cachin' pun right there.)

Tell me About your Swag.

f9e95d2c-cd58-4c20-badc-f0c37b3727d6.jpg

840f47bd-f595-4214-b367-8fc1800f155b.jpg

4d60b803-8e66-473f-996b-8f2468706d84.jpg

bcfb6191-02ca-4f63-a9fe-112f8a8d76fc.jpg

c6b41132-569f-4268-8150-97ccb7e1ffe5.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

Anything handmade or signature items. I also like fridge magnets and badges. If you are in country other than where you live, I always think it is nice to find some momento of that place, such as a postcard, fridge magnet, keyring etc

broken toys, rusty items etc

I live in southern Spain and we have LOTS of fires every year that damage vast areas of land, some are started by accident, some are started by carelessness, and I HATE finding cigarette lighters in caches. Even though it is against the guidelines I find a lot of them and it drives me mad, I am a smoker, so this isn't an anti-smoker rant, but I would never leave a lighter in cache.

I've found items in caches that I know I have left in caches somewhere else. It is nice to see even my swag travelling around :)

I found a small, handmade, dried flower arrangement in a cache once, that was nice.

I make my own signature items, well all our caching group does and we share what we have made. We make bookmarks, magnets, bracelets, keyrings and phone charms. here is some of our work:

fatdogswag.jpg

Bracelets, user made items, MONEY!! :-p

Trash, paper items like stickers that usually get wet or mold, but, mostly garbage...

I found gum and mints in a cache that was places in a wilderness area... pretty stupid.. just asking for animals to get into it.

I don't know about happy, but I really enjoy swag that makes me smile. Like when I find bracelets or pins. Also, I laughed once when I found a condom... on the wrapper was written "water balloon". I took it for the laugh I got, and the fact that I didn't think the next group caching with kids would like it. Inappropriate, but I laughed.

Money from Sweden. So cool!!

Something that excites the kids. Personally, I'd like to find personalised sig items, but they are extremely rare here in NZ.

Old bottle tops, business cards, and rusty badges (which can spike kids)

The wife thinks that I'm already insane on account of my geocaching...

The Swagosaurus that my son(4) and I found in a cache that had been unfound for a year. It is a small plush dinosaur, and was in perfect condition despite the long time. Best swag ever; he brought it home to give to his sister, who still keeps it in her bed after a whole year.

Nothing in particular, though I'v left some odd items - chinese knots and coins, tiny solar-powered car...

Other

I'm in it for the fun of the search; the kids are in it for the trade of the swag. Others are in it for other reasons. If there were more (any) sig items here in NZ I'd be trading for them, but the only one's I've found so far were simply printed/laminated paper. My personal sig item, by the way, is a customised fridge magnet. 40c each when ordered by the hundred.

-Something hand made. I'll take that over any coupon.

-Anything plastic and disposable.

-No, just puzzled. Like why would someone put a CD of a sermon in the cache?

-Somebody left a miniature lantern key chain.

A letter by the girl who placed the cache. She did it for her girl scout project.

Please, no McDonald's Happy Meal toys.

Edited by ProfessorBenson

Personal sig items!

Eh, I don't care. Trash like Starbucks lids and used tissue don't count as swag, but I don't like to see it.

No. I did find a piece of swag that would have made someone else furious. A Penthouse centerfold. I took it and made no mention of it in my log. Why give the person that left it the satisfaction...

Lots and lots of times. Too many to count.

A decapitated llama with a green army man's head attached.

26876_1398667722693_1112271360_1169633_686746_n.jpg

26876_1398666922673_1112271360_1169631_5200962_n.jpg

I can take it or leave it. (That's my own little cachin' pun right there.)

Tell me About your Swag.

f9e95d2c-cd58-4c20-badc-f0c37b3727d6.jpg

840f47bd-f595-4214-b367-8fc1800f155b.jpg

4d60b803-8e66-473f-996b-8f2468706d84.jpg

bcfb6191-02ca-4f63-a9fe-112f8a8d76fc.jpg

c6b41132-569f-4268-8150-97ccb7e1ffe5.jpg

Those are really really nice. Beautiful work. I would be thrilled to find one on them. Nice job.

Personal trading cards.

Stuff that people had laying under their car seat/

I found sticks of gum yesterday. Looked like they had been sitting there for over a year.

I found a rubics cube a while back. That was cool.

I think it was a fake tooth. I could be wrong though.