Coin Question

chris&Annie

A while back I found a Geocoin that I really admired. I wrote in the log about how cool this coin was and the CO messaged me that I could keep the coin. They only requested that I have the coin "visit" other caches. I did that for a while but have since stopped. I would like to get this coin moving again but don't want to just dump the coin anywhere. I was thinking about finding someone overseas that wanted to trade geocoins and sending it to them. I wanted to know if it is legit to send an active cache threw the mail to someone else or do you have to put it back in a cache. What are the "rules" surrounding this type of trade?

A while back I found a Geocoin that I really admired. I wrote in the log about how cool this coin was and the CO messaged me that I could keep the coin. They only requested that I have the coin "visit" other caches. I did that for a while but have since stopped. I would like to get this coin moving again but don't want to just dump the coin anywhere. I was thinking about finding someone overseas that wanted to trade geocoins and sending it to them. I wanted to know if it is legit to send an active cache threw the mail to someone else or do you have to put it back in a cache. What are the "rules" surrounding this type of trade?

If the coin is yours, you can do whatever you'd like with it!

I was thinking about finding someone overseas that wanted to trade geocoins and sending it to them. I wanted to know if it is legit to send an active cache threw the mail to someone else or do you have to put it back in a cache. What are the "rules" surrounding this type of trade?

You should contact the Coin Owner, and ask what they'd prefer. Usually, Trackables are meant to travel cache-to-cache, but the owners pretty much get to make the "rules" (such as granting you the option to keep it).

I wanted to know if it is legit to send an active cache threw the mail to someone else or do you have to put it back in a cache. What are the "rules" surrounding this type of trade?

Simple .... you cannot trade with something you do now own. You said the coin has an owner but it ain't you so it's not yours to sell or trade.

You can, however, pass it on to another cacher to drop in a cache so it will continue on its journeys. If you do use the mail do not just stick it in an envelop and send as a letter as it will get shredded in the sorting machines at the USPS. At least wrap it in a sheet of paper, tape the ends tightly and use a manila envelop. It'll be thicker than 1/4in so it'll have to sent Parcel Post and avoid the geocoin hungry sorting machines.

If the CO said you can "keep" the coin, you could email him/her and ask if you can adopt it. It would then truly be yours (The CO still owns it and it is in their inventory). At that point you can do anything you want. Normally, if we have an activated coin we own and we gift it to someone, the first thing we do is have the recipient adopt it so it is truly theirs. B)

Edited by JoenSue

If the coin is yours, you can do whatever you'd like with it!

its not theirs if the owner didn't adopt it to them.