Legit Cache Container

Need some feedback on a cache container/hide plan. Ok, A 4 oz. fishing sinker, attached to 50 lb. line, attached to a bobber. The sinker has a water proof match stick container attached to it, inside is the log in a ziplock bag. The bobber floats at the top of the water and has a geocaching logo drawn on it. The whole setup is in a small lake so you need a small boat to get to it. The city offers boat rentals, paddle and peddle types, for use in the summer. Also, the cache is under 5-6 ft. of water. What do you think? Is this a legit cache hide? Do you see any fundamental problems with this cache that I haven't foreseen? Thanks

The reason I wanted to use a micro was because you would need to pull up on the fishing line to get the cache out. I would worry about the weight of an ammo can and the line braking. I know its 50 lb. test and could probably take it but I wouldn't want to find out. Also, din't want someone running fishing line threw there hand trying to pull up something to heavy.

Best answer is to do a test. Usually, an ammo can remains watertight and waterproof unless compromised in some manner.

As for the other, a LARGE bobber (or buoy) with the geo'marker' on it. Same thing, but use a heavier line or rope.

I would also mark the buoy with 'PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB'. Geocachers will recognize the geocaching symbol, others will not.

Edit to add: I really like these types of caches. Do think them through and make them worthwhile. You'll get lots of Fav votes.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
how water tight are ammo cans? I know they have a seal around them but are they really of submerged in water?

Lots of underwater caches are ammo cans. You must select one that's in excellent condition, for a decent seal. It's super easy to still get some water inside (regardless of the container) since it's wet when opened. So you might allow for that with waterproof logs or whatever. You might coat the whole can in undercoating or paint for boats.

Some fishing line degrades in sunlight. The selection of line will make or break the cache. I agree that fishing line isn't the best idea for a heavy container.

Sure, it's a "legit" cache. But I do have a couple comments to add to what the others have offered.

The bobber floats at the top of the water and has a geocaching logo drawn on it.
I would expect the logo to fade or wash off relatively quickly, given the bobber's constant exposure to sun and water.

Also, how water tight are ammo cans? I know they have a seal around them but are they really of submerged in water?
I've found an underwater ammo can. It was dry inside. However, if someone closes an ammo can with something (e.g., a plastic bag) trapped in the lid, then the seal will be compromised, and water will wick into the ammo can quickly. But the same applies to any other underwater container.

And FWIW, you have to fill an ammo can about half-way with concrete to get it to sink in water.

And FWIW, you have to fill an ammo can about half-way with concrete to get it to sink in water.

An ammo can floats, and your original concerns about the 50lb line breaking, or the set up being a hazard to fisherman are appropriate. By the time you fill it enough to offset the volume of air inside, it's no longer much of a trading cache.

A matchsafe also floats, but would be far easier to make negatively buoyant, and much less expensive to replace if it goes missing.

How do you proposed to anchor this?

Would the lake management (the city?) be okay with semi-permanent installation in the lake?

I think it would last about 3 days before some fisherman sees a free bobber to add to his tackle box.

A Large percentage of my fishing gear is...reclaimed...from trees, shrubs, shorelines, reeds, and so forth. As a fisherman (and a cheap one at that) I agree. This is a cache that is itching to be muggled.

Need some feedback on a cache container/hide plan. Ok, A 4 oz. fishing sinker, attached to 50 lb. line, attached to a bobber. The sinker has a water proof match stick container attached to it, inside is the log in a ziplock bag.
If you think you need a ziplock bag to make the log safe, you really should rethink the container you are using. See my sigline. To see what I'm talking about, take the container, complete with log & baggie, and ask 20 friends to sign the log and put it back together. I bet your baggie won't survive the first ten. It will either rip, get stretched to a point the seal doesn't work, or worst of all: get caught in the cap when closed, ripping it AND wrecking the seal on the outer container. There just isn't room inside a match safe for a log and a baggie if you want it to stay together. All this will be compounded when the cache is under water. I'd use something larger, such as the Pelican Box inside an ammo can. Best way to avoid needing to pull the box up with only fishing line would be to attach the fishing line to a length of chain or rope (chain would sink nicely...), small enough to be lifted by the line, but strong enough to lift the box. They pull it up with the fishing line, then the ammo box with the real line.
The bobber floats at the top of the water and has a geocaching logo drawn on it. The whole setup is in a small lake so you need a small boat to get to it. The city offers boat rentals, paddle and peddle types, for use in the summer. Also, the cache is under 5-6 ft. of water. What do you think? Is this a legit cache hide? Do you see any fundamental problems with this cache that I haven't foreseen? Thanks
What type of boats are allowed on the pond? power and/or peddle boats, if ridden over the bobber will get the bobber, line, and all caught in the paddles/propeller. You'll nee to make sure this doesn't happen. Not to mention the recycling angler issue.

It might sound like I'm against this idea, but I think it's great! If you can figure out ways around the issues, this would be a long-lasting, awesome cache with lots of Favorite Points.

Edited by Too Tall John

Chris, a couple of thoughts...

Before actually deploying this as a cache, I would recommend testing a few different containers to make sure it will work and have some longevity.

Remember, any "waterproof" container will also hold a certain volume of air, and as such will float unless weighted down enough to overcome the buoyancy. You'll also want to be sure that the container will indeed be "waterproof" over an extended period of being underwater.

I'm assuming you're talking about Canyon Lake. That lake does have quite a bit of in/out current from Rapid Creek and out over the dam, and depending on the weight of the container, could slowly creep along the bottom, eventually not being even close to where you deposited it, thus the coordinates being way off over time. You would need enough weight to overcome that creep. That you would have to test.

It's a great idea though, and could be a lot of fun in the summer. If you wish, get with me... I have a couple of supposed "waterproof" containers I'll give you that you can play with.

:ph34r:

D

Need some feedback on a cache container/hide plan. Ok, A 4 oz. fishing sinker, attached to 50 lb. line, attached to a bobber. The sinker has a water proof match stick container attached to it, inside is the log in a ziplock bag. The bobber floats at the top of the water and has a geocaching logo drawn on it. The whole setup is in a small lake so you need a small boat to get to it. The city offers boat rentals, paddle and peddle types, for use in the summer. Also, the cache is under 5-6 ft. of water. What do you think? Is this a legit cache hide? Do you see any fundamental problems with this cache that I haven't foreseen? Thanks

What about Winter? what do you plan to do when the water freezes?

I think it would last about 3 days before some fisherman sees a free bobber to add to his tackle box.

A Large percentage of my fishing gear is...reclaimed...from trees, shrubs, shorelines, reeds, and so forth. As a fisherman (and a cheap one at that) I agree. This is a cache that is itching to be muggled.

I wouldn't say a large percentage of my gear is reclaimed, but I won't pass up a bobber floating in a lake or a lure hanging in a tree. I recall one cache that was a fake fishing lure hanging in a tree along the water. It didn't last long.

Some fishermen may pull it up, see what it is and leave it be. Others may say "screw that, I have me a bobber". And if someone got their lure tangled in the line I'm sure they'd be cursing the cache owner up and down.

It's actually a great idea for a cache until you think it through. It may work in a lake where there are few or no fishermen.

Monofilament fishing line is death to birds. They pick it up and add it to their nests, then get tangled up in it and die. I have personally found dead birds tangled in monofilament line. Thus, if I *ever* see fishing line laying around in the woods or tangled in the brush, I pick it up and take it home so it won't harm any birds. If I was out hiking and saw a bobber within reach of shore, I'd probably grab it just to dispose of any monofilament line that might be attached.