What to do with a DNF

chris&Annie

Here's the scenario. You go to a cache site but can't find the cache so you log a DNF. A week of two later you go back and score a find. Do you edit the DNF log, the one from a couple weeks earlier, to a Found log or do you post a new found log? I know there is no right answer, just wanted to see what other people do. Also, what if you go back multiple days in a row looking and can't find. Do you log all the days as DNF or just one?

I always log my DNFs... but I never go back days in a row looking... so I'm not SURE on that one! I usually give a week or two inbetween searches, and make sure I'm in the mood to do an even MORE thorough search the 2nd time. If I DNF twice there's a very good chance I'm not going back. (unless I happen to come across a new kind of find that I think just MIGHT be there...) But bottom line is... always log your DNFs! :)

Here's the scenario. You go to a cache site but can't find the cache so you log a DNF. A week of two later you go back and score a find. Do you edit the DNF log, the one from a couple weeks earlier, to a Found log or do you post a new found log? I know there is no right answer, just wanted to see what other people do. Also, what if you go back multiple days in a row looking and can't find. Do you log all the days as DNF or just one?

I've seen DNF logs where the cacher edited a DNF by only adding that they had subsequently returned to avenge the DNF. The original DNF text and log type were not altered in any way. Of course they did then write a find log too. I like that system, but I usually just write a new log (FIND), and let the DNF stand as written. I don't delete my DNF's, and can't understand why anybody would even think that was a good idea.

Well, I only have 414 DNFs. That, and $1.07, will get you a Powerade at the ShopWrong.

If I log a DNF, and return and find the cache, I will log a new log, with the'Found It'. (I'm the one who thinks that DNFs are a waste of bandwidth, and mostly meaningless.)

But, requiring 100 DNFs for 'Challenge Cache' sound like an ALR to me. Ask the reviewer if this is permissible?

Well, I only have 414 DNFs. That, and $1.07, will get you a Powerade at the ShopWrong.

If I log a DNF, and return and find the cache, I will log a new log, with the'Found It'. (I'm the one who thinks that DNFs are a waste of bandwidth, and mostly meaningless.)

But, requiring 100 DNFs for 'Challenge Cache' sound like an ALR to me. Ask the reviewer if this is permissible?

What's ALR?

Do you edit the DNF log, the one from a couple weeks earlier, to a Found log or do you post a new found log? I know there is no right answer, just wanted to see what other people do. Also, what if you go back multiple days in a row looking and can't find. Do you log all the days as DNF or just one?

I post a new Found It log, and leave the old ones. If I gave away the hide in my DNF ("Should have checked the stump, it almost looks hand made!"), or if there's more I can add, I'll edit the text of the DNF.

I don't go back multiple days in a row. If it's a fake rock in a sea of rocks, requiring several days of meticulously searching each rock, then I'd do a DNF for each day (even if I returned multiple times that day, which I'd mention in the log), maybe listing the amount of area I covered that day. I haven't tried that kind of cache, so I can't say if I'd be that tenacious. If it was just plain tough to find, I'll return once I have a new plan of attack, weeks or months later. So that may be another DNF.

ALR is an 'Alternate Logging Requirement'. For a while, COs were putting ALRs on caches (and designating them as ? (Mystery/Unknown)) It got quite out of hand. 'Photo of you standing in your head.' 'Photo of you wearing a tin-foil hat.' 'Use the name of a Honda vehicle in your log.' Those were, for the most part archived, or noted that the requirement was no longer required.

There are challenge caches that require accomplishing a certain set of things. These are still permissible. The DeLorme Challenges, or the County Challenges. (Find a cache on every DeLorme page for the state, or in every county in the state.) These are positive challenges. Find a cache on every day of the year. Find every cache in this series. Find a cache starting with every letter of the alphabet. I just wonder about a cache requiring logging 100 DNFs.

I'd ask the reviewer about that one.

ALR is an 'Alternate Logging Requirement'. For a while, COs were putting ALRs on caches (and designating them as ? (Mystery/Unknown)) It got quite out of hand. 'Photo of you standing in your head.' 'Photo of you wearing a tin-foil hat.' 'Use the name of a Honda vehicle in your log.' Those were, for the most part archived, or noted that the requirement was no longer required.

There are challenge caches that require accomplishing a certain set of things. These are still permissible. The DeLorme Challenges, or the County Challenges. (Find a cache on every DeLorme page for the state, or in every county in the state.) These are positive challenges. Find a cache on every day of the year. Find every cache in this series. Find a cache starting with every letter of the alphabet. I just wonder about a cache requiring logging 100 DNFs.

I'd ask the reviewer about that one.

Not that it really matters.... but I thought it was "Additional Logging Requirements". Like I said, doesn't really matter.

In the early days of our caching career we edited our prior DNF logs because that was the example set by a much more experienced local cacher. We have evolved and for many years now have added a new log for subsequent DNFs or finds. This keeps our caching history intact as well as that of the cache.

A point to ponder is the fact that if you edit a prior log the cache owner is not notified. As a cache owner I appreciate seeing the "found it" logs.

There is a right answer. Leave your DNF alone and log your find as a new entry. You will appreciate it more in the future and the cache owner will appreciate knowing you found the cache. :)

I log my DNFs. Mainly to keep track of caches that have stumped me and is my 'white whale' list. Caches that I MUST find. :)

Because of this, it would be really nice if, when looking at your DNF list, geocaching/com would indicate DNFs that you have had, but has subsequently found.

I USED to remove my DNF log once I finally made the fine. Only a couple. But then realized 1) that's too much work and 2) that really doesn't tell 'my story'.

I log all of my visits where I don't find the cache as a separate DNF. The only exception would be if I made several visits in a single day. I would combine them into one DNF log.

If i eventually find it I leave the DNF logs intact, as they are a part of my and the cache's history and enter a find.

Edited by briansnat

Interesting... I logged one DNF and when I went back to find it I simply edited it to a found log. Once I found it, it's no longer "not found" is it? Oh well. Semantics.

True that is no longer 'not found' but on the day you looked and didn't find it it was not found, meaning you DNF'd it...

Not very often, but having an accurate account of when not found and when found can make huge impact the game. It will not only effect maintenance scheduling, but also other aspects of the game too. Sometimes, infact, DNF logs can actually encourage others to go look for a cache, not deter them.

Edited by Arndtwe

Interesting... I logged one DNF and when I went back to find it I simply edited it to a found log. Once I found it, it's no longer "not found" is it? Oh well. Semantics.

The cache owner doesn't get notification of an edited log, as far as I know.

I'm assuming that the DNF and the "found it" experiences happened on separate dates.

So, no, it's not "semantics". It's different experiences.

I know of a challenge cache that is a "turn that frown upside down". The idea is that you need to find caches that you had previously logged as DNF. One needs to have their DNF logs intact and unedited to be able to prove that they've accomplished the goal of the challenge.

I'm looking forward to my hundredth DNF. I saw a challenge cache a while back that you needed 100 DNF's to log.

Um, that's against the Guidelines, unless there's more to it than just having a certain amount of DNF logs:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

All challenge caches must be in the affirmative and require that something be accomplished.

5. A Challenge cache based on non-accomplishments, such as DNFs, will not be published.

B.

What's ALR?

Challenge caches don't fall under the "Additional Logging Requirements" guideline:

3.1. Logging of All Physical Geocaches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=309

B.

The cache owner doesn't get notification of an edited log, as far as I know.

I'm assuming that the DNF and the "found it" experiences happened on separate dates.

So, no, it's not "semantics". It's different experiences.

I know of a challenge cache that is a "turn that frown upside down". The idea is that you need to find caches that you had previously logged as DNF. One needs to have their DNF logs intact and unedited to be able to prove that they've accomplished the goal of the challenge.

Eh, you're probably right, but this was literally the next day and just something that was overlooked. I can see each side I suppose but I think anything less than a week or two later I'd likely just edit the log. If we're talking a month or longer I'd definitely just add a new one. I've had pretty good luck so far so my DNFs have been few and far between to date! :)

I'm looking forward to my hundredth DNF. I saw a challenge cache a while back that you needed 100 DNF's to log.

Um, that's against the Guidelines, unless there's more to it than just having a certain amount of DNF logs:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

All challenge caches must be in the affirmative and require that something be accomplished.

5. A Challenge cache based on non-accomplishments, such as DNFs, will not be published.

Here is the 100 DNF challenge cache

GC1MJ2X

Here is the 100 DNF challenge cache

GC1MJ2X

That cache was published before the guidelines changed. At the bottom of that KB page, you'll see

Note: Challenge caches published prior to the guideline update 3/12/12 are grandfathered into the game and do not need to comply with current guidelines.

Just to be incredibly picky :rolleyes:

the knowledgebook (KB) was recently renamed by the lilypad to "Help Center" B)

Just to be incredibly picky :rolleyes:

the knowledgebook (KB) was recently renamed by the lilypad to "Help Center" B)

Oops. You're right. I wonder if they have a help page for old guys like me that can't remember they changed the name to "Help Center". :lol:

Changes to the Knowledge Books (KB) Help Center (06 December 2011)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=286658

In the Announcement Forum:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=4

:D

B.