Original Dutch Clay Coin

JackHoe

This year I'm going to be 50, so I thought it would be nice to celebrate this for a change (normaly I don't do that). So I want to make my own coin. As I have pottery as one of my other hobby's, I want to use that to make the coin. As I'm Dutch, I want to use the material from my country, so I choose to use real Dutch river clay.

claycoin002.jpg

I made a sample, send it to get it approved and posted a thread on the Dutch forums. Now I'm getting really bussy B) '

As I'm going to be 50, I'm going to make 50 numbered trackable coins

Teaser01174x132.jpg

and I want it to have it's own icon too. Yes, I'm an addict and like the coins and the icons. And as I'm a amature in pottery, no pro, I don't want to sell the coins. I want to trade them.

I'm planning an event too, so people can come and make a trade. On the event I want to show my whole coin collection and see if there are people who have the courage and perseverance to discover my entire collection :D

I understand that not many of you here will be able to come to the Netherlands to the event and make a trade. So I thought I post here too and give you also the possibility to make a trade.

So here is a look af the backside. I just made it and it's not baked yet. Then it will look red. Just to give an idea of the shape;

claycoin005.jpg

There is still a lot of work to be done, but I'm so very excited, I wanted to share this. There will be not much coins left to send overseas of this numbered version as there are already people I know who would kill me if they couldn't get one of these first 50 ;) , but if there's a lot of interest, I can make an other non numbered trackable version.

To be continued....

Wow, that's great!

I love the idea, and your design - so good to use your local Dutch clay, it looks very fine. :D Will you be firing your coins to stoneware/outdoor temperatures?

I was getting ready to make some pottery sig items, but I had to give up my pottery classes last year, so mine never got fired and they dried out. Another time, though. I like the idea of celebrating your 50th this way - happy 50th!

Nice to see the interest in my coin. I hope this interest will still be there when you see the frontside ^_^

The coincodes are in. I have to wait untill the first tests are dry enough to be baked. Then the production will start.

The event is planed on July 29, but I'm still in negotiation for the location. I hope I also can find some time to make my first cache too :D

Will you be firing your coins to stoneware/outdoor temperatures?

The clay is Dutch river clay. Dutch clay is, as far as I know, never stoneware. This clay can be fired at 1020° and I'm going to reach that with my oven.

What do you mean by outdoor temperatures?

Will you be firing your coins to stoneware/outdoor temperatures?

The clay is Dutch river clay. Dutch clay is, as far as I know, never stoneware. This clay can be fired at 1020° and I'm going to reach that with my oven.

What do you mean by outdoor temperatures?

I Just meant will they be frost proof?

Sorry, was confusing material and method, I think.

Can't wait to see the fronts! Not sure if I have anything you'd want to swap, as I only have a few unactivated coins. Looks as though you will have a lot of Interesting coins for your

50th. :)

If the coin would be with glaze, it could be frost proof. The Dutch clay is earthen work, that means it will not be entirely sintered. This means that the baked clay still absorbe water. When it freezes, that could ruin the coin.

If the coin would be with glaze, it could be frost proof. The Dutch clay is earthen work, that means it will not be entirely sintered. This means that the baked clay still absorbe water. When it freezes, that could ruin the coin.

Oh, good to know!

I don't think many of your coins people swap for will get left out anywhere, so it is by-the-by B) but its interesting to know about the materials and the processes you use, thanks!

I worked hard on my day off from work; 50 Original Dutch Clay Coin lie here to dry :o

This afternoon I hope to hear more about the eventlocation. For the people who are not able to attend the event, the coins will ship out one day before the event, so that will be July 28.

I'm curious to know when you show the other side? Do you want to keep it as a secret untill the event?

I was thinking to show it when I'm ready with organising the event, but if you guess what's on it, I'll show it to you :)

(remember the name of the coin, you see the object a lot here in the Netherlands ;) )

There was a right guess already, so I think I'll have to show you the other side. I have to make a good picture. Please remember I'm not a pro potter, but I really like the image. As I do most of my caching on my bike and the Netherlands is also known for the amount of bicycles I choose a bike for the front side. I think it fits with the original Dutch theme.

Would love to trade with you when its finished. Our personal coin has a Norwegian Elkhound named Wigo on one side and our cachemobile on the other. You can see photos of the one we carry with this trackable reference number, TB1N1D7.

We don't sell this coin, but only trade it. Thanks.

I'm going to wait with more reservations for overseas, because I'm afraid they will run out of stock before my event. That would be not good for the people who are attending the event to get a trade. After the event I'll let you know if there are still some left.

Here is the translation of the event page;

Now that I’m becoming 50 years, I’m allowed to know where Abraham gets the mustard.

As a coin collector I’d rather know where he gets his geocoins.

Therefore an event in the character of geocoins, a discover and exchange event.

In honor of my 50th birthday, I've used my other hobby ceramics, and made a geocoin of clay . Because I'm a Dutchman and want the coin to be as Dutch as possible, I made it of Dutch River clay. In addition, I often search for caches on my bike, and the Netherlands are also known for cycling, so I choose to put a bike on the coin. The result is the;

Original Dutch Clay Coin

Yes, the name of the coin is in English, because the origin of geocaching is in America and I also anounced my coin on the american coin forums. Because I’m becoming 50 years, I’ve made 50 numberded coins. These are trackable an geocaching.com and will have there own unicque icon. I do not want to sell these coins, because I’m not a murchant, but I want to trade them for other geocoins. Besides that, I will bring my entire coincollection to the event, so the can be discovered. To all the visitors of the event; if you have activated coins, do bring them allong to the event to let them be discoverd. The numbers 01 and 50 of the Original Dutch Clay Coin will be there to be discoverd.

The event

The event wil take place on the coördinates on top of the event page. It’s a small room in a big flat, which you can see on the picture (the flat):

The event will start at 11u and last untill 14u. You can congratulate me in that time :D

- There will be free coffee and tea and there is a rumor that there will be a birthdaycake too, but I can’t guarantee that.

- There will be the possibility to swap the Original Dutch Clay Coin. There are only 50 made, so quite exlusive. I will also bring some other coins to swap. The event visitors can also bring coins to swap of course.

- My entire collection will be there to admire and discover.

- There will be a new cache, wich will become available on the event. This will be about 3,5km from the event location, on the east side of Zeist.

- There are enough caches in the surounding area to have a nice caching day.

Edit; typos

Edited by JackHoe

I think I have something with 50 at the moment. This is post #50 :D

As it looks like at the moment, there will be not enough coins for everyone who would like to trade one I'm afraid. Maybe I have to considder a V2, trackable but non-numbered.