First owed cache

GeoGuyB

I had my first owed cache published 2 days ago within 2 hours I had 3 logs on it but no one had found it I double checked the coordinates and it took me within 5 feet of the chache in my description I had the cache being 15 feet from the parking area but realized it was more like 150 feet so I changed it in the description but 2 days later no one else has tried looking for it I'm assuming because the first 3 people couldn't find it should I delete it and try again at a new location?

I wouldn't archive the cache at this stage, I'd go back out there and take more co-ordinates with your GPS.

Walk in to the cache location from 30 - 50 yards away and record the co-ordinates.

Now do the same thing again from 4 or 5 different directions, recording the co-ords each time.

Look at all the coordinates. Are they the same? or at least only out by +/- 1 on the last digit?

If they're not the same then average out the co-ordinates and use the resulting co-ordinate in your GPS to walk in on the location once again from 50 yards away. Is it taking you to the cache?

If you need to change the co-ordinates for the cache then you can do this yourself using the log option "Update Co-ordinates" (as long as they're not more than 528ft out!)

MrsB :)

A simple check is to copy and paste the published co ordinates into Google Satellite view and see how close the green marker is to where you actually placed the cache. It will give you idea of where searchers will be looking. If it's several meters away you will need to look at improving the co ords.

Secondly, think about the hint, as that can sometimes help finders. After all the published co ords won't be spot on and with everyone's element of error, we are all going to be a couple of meters out at best.

If there is a bridge or tall construction near by you hiding spot,

this can reflect GPS radio signals causing read out positions in that area

to be very unacurate, and also very different from day to day,

a trick is to provide a better hint,

and also use google earth to get and check your cordinates,

if/when you update cordinates, please dont delete the log afterwards,

it is important for finders to see you actually did something,

also if you go there and check or fix, always make a note or owner maintenence log,

this tell you are a good cache owner who care to fix and check,

even if all you write is : checked, all is fine.

I personally like to see more of thise logs made be cache owners out there,

and this will for sure engurage others to give it a try.

Edited by OZ2CPU

Well.... let's think about that hint. Just what does it do?

The body of the cache page says to "push down and twist cap"...... and the encrypted hint says what?

I might be a little nit-picky, but c'mon folks, if you plan on providing a hint, make it a hint.

I especially love the hint "behind a tree" when I am standing in a forest.

Are you using a smartphone? sometimes they don't give accurate coords. Suggestion is to ask another cacher who has a GPS to go with you and see if they can get you better coords. Then go to edit your cache and update the coords. If you have trouble with changing the coords you can try asking your reviewer to help you with it. But you first have to get the coords as close or closer to 20 to 30 ft from the cache.

If you rechecked the coordinates and they're still okay, and it looks like you changed the description, you should be getting people searching again assuming they haven't already. What type of GPS did you use to find the cache? If it's a smartphone of some sort, that may be where your problem lies.

One of the folks who logged a DNF said they were looking around a fence and some trees. Is this an accurate description of the cache location?

Your coordinates put it in a field about 10 feet north of an east-west fence and across from a small building at the back of the lot with a pile of junk. The fence on the east side building points just to the east of the cache location. There is no visible feature at the exact spot, so it must be on a small sign, birdhouse post etc that does not show on the aerial photo. If this doesn't make sense recheck your numbers.

A different view shows nothing at GZ, so I assume it is in the brush near the fence, or on the fence itself.

...and now I'ver read the clue...duh.. anyhow, if you tweak the coords just a bit south you should be fine assuming your longitude is OK. If you can see over the fence it should be about 18 ft west of the junk car with the moon roof.

Edited by edscott

Well.... let's think about that hint. Just what does it do?

The body of the cache page says to "push down and twist cap"...... and the encrypted hint says what?

I might be a little nit-picky, but c'mon folks, if you plan on providing a hint, make it a hint.

10 - 4 to that Gitchee.

Hints should be specific and meaningful and especially so in sensitive areas.

Edited by humboldt flier

Your coordinates put it in a field about 10 feet north of an east-west fence and across from a small building at the back of the lot with a pile of junk. The fence on the east side building points just to the east of the cache location. There is no visible feature at the exact spot, so it must be on a small sign, birdhouse post etc that does not show on the aerial photo. If this doesn't make sense recheck your numbers.

A different view shows nothing at GZ, so I assume it is in the brush near the fence, or on the fence itself.

I looked at the cache on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N+35%C2%B0+21.973+W+097%C2%B0+30.128) and it shows a location about 20 feet from the fence. If you rotate the image 180 degrees you can see a bunch of trees/bushes along the fence and if the coordinates are accurate it still shouldn't be that difficult to find.

I don't suppose that there might be a sign at the open sections (coming in from the roads) of that lot which might indicate that access is restricted...

I looked at the cache on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N+35%C2%B0+21.973+W+097%C2%B0+30.128) and it shows a location about 20 feet from the fence. If you rotate the image 180 degrees you can see a bunch of trees/bushes along the fence and if the coordinates are accurate it still shouldn't be that difficult to find.

I don't suppose that there might be a sign at the open sections (coming in from the roads) of that lot which might indicate that access is restricted...

thats the right spot there is no restriction sign I talked to the geocachers who have been there they just can't find it its a camoed bottle and most of the caches I have found seemed easier!

Edited by GuyBowen11

thats the right spot there is no restriction sign I talked to the geocachers who have been there they just can't find it its a camoed bottle and most of the caches I have found seemed easier once you move the bush out of the way you look behind a fence post and its there all need to re-edit this post soon

If the coordinates like they're pointing to the right place it doesn't sound to me like it should be that hard to find. It sounds like there may have been some confusion about the distance of the cache from available parking but a cache with a difficulty of 3 *should* be fairly difficult to find. I know that you're anxious to see the first find but from what I can tell from the listing and the Google satellite view I'd leave it as it is. You can always place another cache somewhere else that should be easier to find.

In the future, it's typically not necessary to indicate how far away the cache is from the best place to park. If there is a specific spot where people should park (and especially if there is a closer spot where people should *not* park) you can add an additional waypoint and specify that it's a recommended parking location. If someone parks there, their GPS will tell them how far they need to go to find the cache.

I wouldn't archive the cache at this stage, I'd go back out there and take more co-ordinates with your GPS.

Walk in to the cache location from 30 - 50 yards away and record the co-ordinates.

Now do the same thing again from 4 or 5 different directions, recording the co-ords each time.

Look at all the coordinates. Are they the same? or at least only out by +/- 1 on the last digit?

If they're not the same then average out the co-ordinates and use the resulting co-ordinate in your GPS to walk in on the location once again from 50 yards away. Is it taking you to the cache?

If you need to change the co-ordinates for the cache then you can do this yourself using the log option "Update Co-ordinates" (as long as they're not more than 528ft out!)

MrsB :)

I do this well before publishing the cache, but with the added step of having my wife, who likes geo caching, but doesn't have time, so she's my tester. She's unbiased, and gives good feedback. Handy.