Bike Power Trails

Tzinny

Hi. I live in IL and am planning a long geo weekend. I would like to go visit a location that has a few power bike trails so I can bring the bike and concentrate on those trails. Can anyone suggest a particular area that has a lot of bike friendly caching?

Tzinny

One thing we do, if we plan on doing it as an out and back (vice one way) we skip every other cache on the way out, and then grab them on the way back. It doubles the distance between stops and isn't as monotonous.

On my only such excursion, my group figured out we should try that about halfway through the 47 or so we did. And it would have been about a 6 1/2 mile ride back. Well, it was still over 3 miles back without caches, but it worked out pretty good. Idea seconded.

One thing we do, if we plan on doing it as an out and back (vice one way) we skip every other cache on the way out, and then grab them on the way back. It doubles the distance between stops and isn't as monotonous.

On my only such excursion, my group figured out we should try that about halfway through the 47 or so we did. And it would have been about a 6 1/2 mile ride back. Well, it was still over 3 miles back without caches, but it worked out pretty good. Idea seconded.

Last week I rented a bicycle while on vacation. It was one of those single gear fat tire bikes and had an extension added to it so that my son could ride on a bike behind me (sort of like a three wheel tandem). One day we rode to the far end of the island we were on for about a 10 mile round trip ride. I found two caches along the way and that was enough.

There are several in north east Ohio and north west pa. All are former railroad right of ways that have been turned into paved bike trails.

Bingo. The Panhandle Trail west of Pittsburgh is fascinating. It is not monotonous because of various terrains and containers. Some require a steep climb, one is a fake bug on a tree, one is under a bridge. And it is all accessible by bike.

There are several in north east Ohio and north west pa. All are former railroad right of ways that have been turned into paved bike trails.

Bingo. The Panhandle Trail west of Pittsburgh is fascinating. It is not monotonous because of various terrains and containers. Some require a steep climb, one is a fake bug on a tree, one is under a bridge. And it is all accessible by bike.

Excellent. I know 3 people who were there last weekend. As a matter of fact, one of them returned a phone call to me from the trail, I had no clue they were there. [:D] The 47 on a rail trail I did mentioned in my other post above (in Ontario) were all smalls and regulars, and included a tree climber, a couple strung up in threes, and a buried in rocks hide. These are my kinds of power trails. Not that either one will help the OP from Illinois. :)

Last week I rented a bicycle while on vacation. It was one of those single gear fat tire bikes and had an extension added to it so that my son could ride on a bike behind me (sort of like a three wheel tandem). One day we rode to the far end of the island we were on for about a 10 mile round trip ride. I found two caches along the way and that was enough.

Oh C'mon, you should know your fellow New Yorker better than that by now. :laughing: What I'm saying is, If you're on a "power trail" and going to bike out 6.5 miles one way with a cache every .15 miles or so, it is a much better idea to do half on the way out, half on the way back, and not 50 caches one way with a 6.5 mile ride back. Trust me, I don't need identically hidden film canisters along a bike trail to entice me to go for a bike ride. :D

Øh, well, as lØng as we're talking abØut Øutside IllinØis .. why nØt CalifØrnia? We have sØme very lØvli bike trails and yØu are far less likely tØ be bitten by a mØØse.

NØt really many pØwer trails in phØenix! :(

There's one coming your way from Apache Junction through Mesa.

Besides, the whole freakin' place is a giant bikeable power trail. :P

Øh, well, as lØng as we're talking abØut Øutside IllinØis .. why nØt CalifØrnia? We have sØme very lØvli bike trails and yØu are far less likely tØ be bitten by a mØØse.

NØt really many pØwer trails in phØenix! :(

There's one coming your way from Apache Junction through Mesa.

Besides, the whole freakin' place is a giant bikeable power trail. :P

Thats a 4 hour ride from where i live. powertrails are all about numbers: i don't want to spend a better part of the day GETTING THERE only to have it getting dark after 10 or so.

Any PT's close to the light rail?

What about someplace like theConfederation Trail? It's on my bucket list!

The confederation trail in PEI is in a word ....AWESOME. It's definity a power trail, but motorized vehicles are not allowed in the trail at all. Every cache requires you dismount and poke around for the hide. It's only gonna get bigger this summer too as we are placing another series of caches along one of the spur lines. If you choose to come up and bike the trail, there is a trackable geocoin that you receive as well i believe.

Oh C'mon, you should know your fellow New Yorker better than that by now. :laughing: What I'm saying is, If you're on a "power trail" and going to bike out 6.5 miles one way with a cache every .15 miles or so, it is a much better idea to do half on the way out, half on the way back, and not 50 caches one way with a 6.5 mile ride back. Trust me, I don't need identically hidden film canisters along a bike trail to entice me to go for a bike ride. :D

Wow, I completely disagree with this sentiment. I find it much nicer to find all the caches on the right side of the road as I ride along. Then, when done, I can ride back without interruption except to find all those that were on the left side of the road on my way out.

Then, sometimes, there are no caches on the right side of the road as I ride out, so I get to ride out without interruption and then on my way back, I'll find the ones that were on the left side of the road.

Now if I was in the UK or some other countries, I may reverse my strategy :laughing: