Basecamp -vs- GSAK

I got my GPSr (Oregon 450i) for hiking. I learned how to use Basecamp to create and edit routes and waypoints and transfer them to and from my GPSr. This last month, I've been playing around with my 1-month free premium membership. Since I was already familiar with Basecamp, I've been using it to select caches from my pocket-queries, organize them into folders and load them to my GPSr. But I've seen quite a few references to GSAK around here. Are there any good reasons for me to download and install GSAK when I'm already comfortable with Basecamp?

I tend to agree on the differences between GSAK & Basecamp.. I use both, actually, with a Magellan Explorist-GC, where I'll export 3000 caches from a location out of GSAK, (in GPX format) then import them into Basecamp, to get a general idea where they'll land in the map, then use Basecamp to load them into the GC. (Yes, I know there's a loading feature for GSAK.. In the field, this gets to be a pain, having to constantly configure GSAK for the GC, when I've already been using it for the eTrex, (yes, I use both.) and back again.)

Basecamp has it's pros as well as Cons, as does GSAK. BaseCamp, for example, chokes on L-A-R-G-E gpx files. (long story..) takes forever to load anything around 5000 caches + child waypoints, on a 3Ghz AMD-Vision/4GB mem Laptop. (kinda like the GC would, if I gave it all 5000.)

GSAK, you can filter the really big GPX files, down to manageable size. I also use DeLorme Street Atlas USA as a main mapping program. (again, a pain to need to convert from eTrex, to Magellan interfaces.. I generally use the eTrex as a 'live' tracker (feeding SA, for location.).. the GC, now has become more of a PDA (well, it IS Windows-CE based, which explains some lag problems.) and the eTrex, the main finder.

But, once I'm done, BaseCamp does have the upload immediately on new logs, though I'm still not happy with their forcing Internet Explorer, when I find FireFox a lot less buggy less intrusive, and less vulnerable...

It's just a matter of which you find better. Mind you, GSAK does have the ability to obtain info in a flash (GeocachingOnline API).. $30.00 1-time, is dirt cheap. While BaseCamp is free. It's all how you want to use it. Worse case, get GSAK, and use the trial period.. If you like, register for $30.. If not, before it expires, export the databases as .GPX, and delete it..

I'm still not impressed by the in-program method it exports for DeLorme Street Atlas.. I still prefer export as GPX, then convert with the native format of GPS-Babel (which is part of GSAK, but for some reason, the GSAK exported show up as full-sized treasurechests on the map,( exported as .TXT, then imported through Draw) which the Exported as GPX, then translated to DeLorme Draw (.AN1) show-up as Treasurechests up to a certain zoom point, but de-clutters down to small squares beyond that zoom.. (which helps in spotting clusters in an area. (great for spotting numbers-run areas.)

Excuse mind fart.. I'm thinking VantagePoint with the Magellan.. rethinking, (rebooting mind), I still have problems feeding BaseCamp & MapSource both, HUGE .GPX files.. I've actually crashed MapSource with a 10,000 cache .gpx file! (I think I may've left all of the log entries, which probably didn't help.) I also keep a copy of several other maps under MapSource (3 trail maps from one site, IBYCUS-USA 2.01 (patched 2.0) , and a few other Topo maps besides the stock one that came with MapSource. (Topo-100K).. My only complaint, Even though I can export them and display the different maps together on my eTrex and Nuvi devices, I can only view them one layer at a time under MapSource or BaseCamp.

Edited by gelfling6