Geocache Code Googled

DahliaMilloy

Pretty sure that site has been mentioned here in the forums previously.

Not much of a spoiler for the caches I looked at.

For example:

Coordinates: N 50° ??.??? E 6° ??.???

Published: 16.4.2012, Verified:0x, Last 16.4.2012

Or can you get the actual coordinates if you're registered with them and signed in?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

For example:

Or can you get the actual coordinates if you're registered with them and signed in?

B.

I looked up two of my caches, one published, one unpublished. Both stated "We don't have any informarmation[sic] related to this cache" yet.

Also from their "How it works" page:

The first publisher of the cache has to enter basic data about the cache.

The first publisher of the coordinates gets credits from other users orders after their confirmations.

The second and next publisher of the same coordinates is called the Validator.

Validator gets credits for each valadation.

Validator's IP address and identity must be unique within all cache publishers and validators.

You never know whether the first published coordinates are correct. Still you can be the first one.

You get credits only from Multi or Unknown (Mystery) geocaches.

Your credits must be validated to avoid cheating before you order coordinates.

Credit list:

+10 credits from each order made by user signed up after your invitation - Invite!

+10 credits from each order to the first publisher of coordinates

+10 credits to each validator (next publisher)

+10 credits to the Purchaser who gives feedback (found / not found)

-50 credits for each cache order

What all that means, I haven't the foggiest.

For example:

B.

I looked up two of my caches, one published, one unpublished. Both stated "We don't have any informarmation[sic] related to this cache" yet.

...snip...

Oooh - Just clicked on the "map" link on the website. A map popped up with heaps of flags in Germany followed swiftly by another pop-up:

Google has disabled use of the Maps API for this application. The key provided is not a valid Google API Key or it is not authorised for the Google Maps JavaScript API v3 on this site. If you are the owner of this application, you can learn about obtaining a valid key here: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/tutorial#Obtaining_Key

Followed by a blank screen.

A website dedicated to the German armchair caching fraternity?

The last comment was funny.

Unfortunately, funny as it may be, it's true. There seem to be a lot of "cachers" in Germany that are doing their own thing with no regard to anyone else. Sites like this one underline this behaviour. It's a shame that some find the need to spoil the caches of others.

Sorry for the double-post. I was just curious if any legal action can be taken, seeing as how the site is an obvious knockoff off Geocaching.com ? Or is there a jurisdiction issue? I can't believe they have the (parts) to do that. I would at least threaten legal action anyway, they seem to not respect what a lot of people have worked really hard on.

For example:

B.

The first publisher of the cache has to enter basic data about the cache.

The first publisher of the coordinates gets credits from other users orders after their confirmations.

The second and next publisher of the same coordinates is called the Validator.

Validator gets credits for each valadation.

Validator's IP address and identity must be unique within all cache publishers and validators.

You never know whether the first published coordinates are correct. Still you can be the first one.

You get credits only from Multi or Unknown (Mystery) geocaches.

Your credits must be validated to avoid cheating before you order coordinates.

Credit list:

+10 credits from each order made by user signed up after your invitation - Invite!

+10 credits from each order to the first publisher of coordinates

+10 credits to each validator (next publisher)

+10 credits to the Purchaser who gives feedback (found / not found)

-50 credits for each cache order

Yes, you can get the coordinates once you have signed up/gotten credits. I made an account to see how it worked and this is what I have found. You get credit by posing the final coordinates of a cache, you will get more credit for each person who "validates" that your coordinates are correct, and the "validators" also get credit for doing so. It costs you credit that have earned to actually see the final coordinates of other caches. So in order to get the spoilers, you have to create spoilers and validate others spoilers first. That way you can get credit.

This sucks. What a waste of time and effort. The only people that are getting cheated are the people participating in that website. Although I don't foresee this actually hurting the people who want to play this game the intended way, it still is a bummer to see.