Lying about the GC on EBay?

Mmm... as far as I know the Magellan eXplorist GC does not have an SD card slot and is specifically for Geocaching.

A seller on EBay right now is asking $307.14 (WOW!!!) Buy it Now for one and is saying that it is best suited for hiking and has an sd card slot. ??????

Maybe you could contact the seller and let them know about their mistake. It could be unintentional.

I looked at that guy's listing. It's a 29 day listing? Don't see that often. Plus, he's got over 20 negative feedback reviews in the past 30 days? His shipping is 7 - 28 days from the UK? It's listings like this that get me to the retail portals I've used before and are tried and true. (I just bought my Magellan GC yesterday at Amazon for $135.99).

Edited by Ohiosiouxfan

Too many frauds on eBay. Try reporting it to eBay, and then forget about it. eBay - Caveat Emptor.

Yep. Ebay is full of swindlers. Pays to know what you are getting before bidding or buying. I get stuff now and then, most of it turns out quite well, but once in a while there's something completely misrepresented .. or I turn the police onto them as I did with some weasel in Hong Kong a few years back, they hauled him in, grilled him and I got my stuff, but that's another story.

Mmm... as far as I know the Magellan eXplorist GC does not have an SD card slot and is specifically for Geocaching.

A seller on EBay right now is asking $307.14 (WOW!!!) Buy it Now for one and is saying that it is best suited for hiking and has an sd card slot. ??????

Lying about the SD card slot is nothing. Having a buy it now price 2.25 times what you can get it for at Amazon.com, that's the kicker. And they retail right on Magellan's website for $149.99.

I learned long ago there are absolutely no deals on new handheld GPS units on Ebay. Why, I don't know. There are many other things where you can get a heck of a deal on. I don't see a link anywhere, what's this guys feedback rating?

Here a link to that. Looks like a power seller with a 98.6% feedback. I start getting cautious at anyone with a feedback of 99.5. hehehe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magellan-eXplorist-GC-2011-Geocaching-Waterproof-Handheld-Hiking-GPS-/350558348570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519ee7e51a

I did try reporting to EBay that auction. But oddly there is no longer a category that matches what that person is doing to file a complaint about. EBay has changed to protect the power sellers.

Here a link to that. Looks like a power seller with a 98.6% feedback. I start getting cautious at anyone with a feedback of 99.5. hehehe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magellan-eXplorist-GC-2011-Geocaching-Waterproof-Handheld-Hiking-GPS-/350558348570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519ee7e51a

I did try reporting to EBay that auction. But oddly there is no longer a category that matches what that person is doing to file a complaint about. EBay has changed to protect the power sellers.

Not too bad of feedback, and quite the power seller. Sounds like he's just completely clueless about the GPS and it's features. He can't possibly be clueless that his buy it now is $17 over double the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Priced though. Or can he?

And yes, I saw he was a UK seller. No way they have to pay double for a Magellan over there. :P

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I learned long ago there are absolutely no deals on new handheld GPS units on Ebay. Why, I don't know. There are many other things where you can get a heck of a deal on. I don't see a link anywhere, what's this guys feedback rating?

My ex got his Garmin Oregon 401T for 200.00 off of retail brand new, when the unit was new on the market. That was many years ago, and he still uses it to this day. Great machine!

I bought my Oregon 401T (hey, lost use of his in the break-up) on ebay for 50. bucks last year. They were honest about what was wrong with it, and I got it fixed for 99. when the lowest units were running 300. + at that time. I paid half the going used price, and got a unit with a warranty.

I used to buy tons off of ebay. You've got to be careful who you buy from and never buy something without a sellers warranty. I tend to buy from the same people, and they have given me even better deals than the general public.

Bought my second GPSr off ebay -- Garmin GPSMAP 60c, which was vastly superior to my old (now dead) Etrex Vista for about $75 less than new price and the unit was hardly used. Had everything with it. Got a lot of use out of it, too. (Still using it as an alarm clock.)

Doesn't mean I'd buy any or every unit on eBay. Some people are just unloading something which was shiny once or a gift and they don't want it.

What I do take a hard look at is the seller with hundreds of listings of unrelated items. Probably a garage sale pro and really never tried it out or understands how to. Check on returns before bidding.

I wouldn't think the worst of people right away. For example I listed a GC tonight on eBay and discovered that eBay themselves keeps adding all these detail fields which includes an SD card slot field. I've yet to figure out how to get rid of those fields in my listing so I just commented in my own info box with listing that the extra data fields is WRONG and that the unit doesn't even need that slot since it's not geared for power GPS user use but entry level GeoCaching.

So if you have your average retail seller who uses eBay for their e-commerce site, or garage sale pro they don't know the data fields are wrong, wherever those fields come from -- Likely Magellan themselves is the real culprit so just like everything - Caveat Emptor (spelling?) but outright lying? I doubt that very much. Don't think the worst of people so much or you'll give yourselves ulcers not to mention that tossing claims like that around about folks can end you up in court.

Lying about the SD card slot is nothing. Having a buy it now price 2.25 times what you can get it for at Amazon.com, that's the kicker. And they retail right on Magellan's website for $149.99.

Five years ago I did get a good deal on my 60csx, refurbished from a dealer. It was funny though to watch people get into the last minute bidding frenzy and actually bid more than the "Buy it Now" price, even though there were always 20 listed.

Remember the saying--"There's a sucker born every minute." It would seem that no one would even think of paying that much, but I wouldn't rule that out.

The one listed under it is $158, new in the box, with free shipping. Surely people aren't stupid enough to pay double for the same item. As far as the seller not knowing the value. Nonsense. He's a professional eBay seller. He knows how to look up a price on a comparable item. He's fishing for a sucker. It's sad that people fall for it.

Edit:

Yikes! I didn't know that this was bumped from April. The guy is still there trying to sell for almost twice the price.

Edited by Don_J

I wouldn't think the worst of people right away. For example I listed a GC tonight on eBay and discovered that eBay themselves keeps adding all these detail fields which includes an SD card slot field. I've yet to figure out how to get rid of those fields in my listing so I just commented in my own info box with listing that the extra data fields is WRONG and that the unit doesn't even need that slot since it's not geared for power GPS user use but entry level GeoCaching.

So if you have your average retail seller who uses eBay for their e-commerce site, or garage sale pro they don't know the data fields are wrong, wherever those fields come from -- Likely Magellan themselves is the real culprit so just like everything - Caveat Emptor (spelling?) but outright lying? I doubt that very much. Don't think the worst of people so much or you'll give yourselves ulcers not to mention that tossing claims like that around about folks can end you up in court.

I seriously doubt anyone who participated in this thread is going to develop an ulcer from observing that some guy in the UK has a "buy it now" price of $317 for a unit that has a suggested manufacturers retail price of $149. (which I'll bet you is a $50 profit for a retailer). I can pontificate on the interwebs that he's a knucklehead for doing that though. :P

Nope, no ulcer here. Also no worries of a court date as I stated the truth. The GC does not have an SD card slot, so stating that it does, is being a liar.

Kudo's to Robo for making the correction in thier extra info! All sellers should be doing that and calling it to the attention of EBay so that option is removed from that model.

The tripled price is appalling and I would be ashamed to do that on anything that I list. But as GrateBear quoted, "There is a sucker born every minute." Yup, there is, but it is the sellers that decide to take advantage of them. **sigh**

Sometimes when an ebay seller runs out of an item they raise the price really high to deter people from bidding. Then when it comes back in stock they change the price on the listing. Why they don't just end the listing I have no idea but that was what I was told when I asked a seller about their outrageous price.

Yikes! I didn't know that this was bumped from April. The guy is still there trying to sell for almost twice the price.

I just did a search, and the most expensive Explorist GC on Ebay is $199.99 as of a few seconds ago. I don't see the originally quoted price on there anywhere now.

There was one there yesterday for $280 from a UK seller with the same rating as quoted in April. No way to confirm if it was the same seller, but I'm guessing it was.

Sometimes when an ebay seller runs out of an item they raise the price really high to deter people from bidding. Then when it comes back in stock they change the price on the listing. Why they don't just end the listing I have no idea but that was what I was told when I asked a seller about their outrageous price.

I see now just about every GC listing I look at says it has an SD card. Even people selling it below the suggested retail price. I will accept coasties explanation. But not that whole thing about developing ulcers over it. :P

I almost choked when I saw that "1 sold", but then saw that the selling price was $158.70, which is a decent price. Don't know how that works as I wasn't about to add one to the cart.

Same here.

At that price, it better comes with someone to retrieve the cache for me, hand me my Montblanc to sign the log, and drive me to the next cache. And serve tea in between.