Video: etrex 20 sticky fixed with glonass OFF? (2.71)

My Etrex 20 has never had the sticky issue, I have always had it set to 'GPS & GLONASS' on. Its currently on firmware 2.73...but as I said its just never had the problem regardless of what level of firmware.

One thing that I've never considered as being a possible contributing factor to 'stickyness' (but you never know!!), is that I've always used it on the 'Recreational' setting rather than 'Geocaching' mode.

I've had the Etrex 20 for 4 months now, and so far its 100% reliable, no sticking etc. Glad I bought it!!

Hmmmm...not sure why using a different profile would have any bearing on whether or not there is a "sticky" issue?

But then again, since no one has figured out what exactly causes the issue with some units while it isn't found in others, anything is possible.

I'm just glad they are still trying to fix those that DO stick.

My Etrex 20 has never had the sticky issue, I have always had it set to 'GPS & GLONASS' on. Its currently on firmware 2.73...but as I said its just never had the problem regardless of what level of firmware.

One thing that I've never considered as being a possible contributing factor to 'stickyness' (but you never know!!), is that I've always used it on the 'Recreational' setting rather than 'Geocaching' mode.

I've had the Etrex 20 for 4 months now, and so far its 100% reliable, no sticking etc. Glad I bought it!!

Wanna trade?!?

Wanna trade?!?

Chuckle, chuckle....

Yes, this is indeed what I found as well (I am the "suggestor" the video creator speaks about). At first the machine seemed ok in dual band mode, but then I noticed that it stuck under heavy brush and trees (i.e. bad reception).

Turning glonass off fixes the problem reasonably even during bad reception, it now seems comparable to my old eTrex H.

Theory: Garmin set highest prio on fixing GPS (GPS only is indeed the default mode for the machine). And from what I can see it now seems to be fixed.

Guess we have to wait for Glonass - but that's not so important; Garmin should really fix it though they sell the receiver as glonass capable.

But that siimply doesn't stand up. I've used GPS and GLONASS since Day One, and never seen the sticky problem :unsure:

Could be a serial manufacturing or location-dependent problem. If I am not misminded the gps constellation is weighted such that reception is significantly worse at or near the poles. I'm at 60ºN.

But that siimply doesn't stand up. I've used GPS and GLONASS since Day One, and never seen the sticky problem :unsure:

We get it... Yours works. The rest of us are trying to figure out how to use ours. I even stopped using mine for hiking. It would straighten every switchback on the uphill sections and lag way behind. I would lose a mile off ever 10 I hiked. ( I used the technique from these videos to see how far off my etrex is )

If this update fixes it... I will be the etrex 20s biggest fan! ( after you of course ) even if I can't use glonass.

Yes, this is indeed what I found as well (I am the "suggestor" the video creator speaks about). At first the machine seemed ok in dual band mode, but then I noticed that it stuck under heavy brush and trees (i.e. bad reception).

Turning glonass off fixes the problem reasonably even during bad reception, it now seems comparable to my old eTrex H.

Theory: Garmin set highest prio on fixing GPS (GPS only is indeed the default mode for the machine). And from what I can see it now seems to be fixed.

Guess we have to wait for Glonass - but that's not so important; Garmin should really fix it though they sell the receiver as glonass capable.

That's great news... I'm not looking for perfect, just usable. That last video shows the 20 looking almost matched with the foretrex. I am SO happy with the performance of my foretrex 301... So this is great. Now I'm excited for them to release the update so I can try it!