Taking Forever to Approve Caches

6DogNight

We have several caches hidden, and usually when we post one it is approved within hours, however, our latest cache is STILL not approved and it has been 48 hours now. Anyone else having this problem?

Brian and Shelia Lucero

6DogNight

Albuquerque, NM

The website was very slow indeed on Sunday night when I got home. A couple of approvers were out on business trips this past week and weekend, me included. I left Atlanta Sunday at 8:00 AM and flew to Tampa. I worked there, drove to Orlando, worked some more, found 3 caches on the way to the airport after work (you know, priorities) and arrived back in ATL at about 10:00 PM. I was pretty busy Monday and got home late. Things seemed to get a little faster Monday and definately on Tuesday. Being out Sunday didn't help, but I gotta' work every now and then!

I understand you're quite spoilt over there in the States. I'm waiting already 120 hours for approvement of my youngest cache... One year ago a couple of hours was normal. E-mails not answered... Am I doing something wrong?

quote:
I understand you're quite spoilt over there in the States. I'm waiting already 120 hours for approvement of my youngest cache... One year ago a couple of hours was normal. E-mails not answered... Am I doing something wrong?

Yotian Soldier is the cache approver who normally handles your area. But I'll look for your cache in the queue. Ik kan ook een beetje hollands lezen (maar niet spreken).

Tot ziens,

erik - geocaching.com admin

IMHO, caches should be automatically

approved when submitted, on a conditional basis.

Then, when a reviewer gets around to it, they

can decide to revoke the approval or not.

Only one cache submission per day would get the

default approval. Any additional caches would

require human approval (to prevent programs

from flooding the site with bogus caches). Depending on abuse, the reviewer could also

flip a flag and change the default for that

account to "not approved". New accounts would

also get "default: not approved" until they

have logged at least one cache find. To me,

its a matter of being a pessimist or an

optimist. I say, assume people are good and

aren't going to post bogus caches.

My submission today seems to have disappeared

into some kind of black hole, and now I don't

know whether or not to resubmit it, and the

only email I get is from a bot.

rickrich, don't resubmit your cache. It is in about the middle of the approval queue. About 150 caches have been submitted since yours was, so resubmiting it wouldn't be a good idea.

Cache approval is done regionally, with the approver for a given area working down the list on caches in states or countries that he "covers". Since it's Easter Sunday be patient. icon_smile.gif

As far as caches being automatically posted, I suggested once that the cache approval process be a self approval one; with new pages loading as you reply to questions and fill in the blanks on the previous page. Sort of like an online purchase where you verify address and payment info after verifying your product selection.

Unfortunately there are too many people who would just check the boxes and jump from page to page. We get enough submission that demonstrate that the guidelines have been ignored that we'd set ourselves up for problems.

I'd hate to have to archive a cache containing alchohol buried beside the RR tracks that run over the dam in the National Park after several enthusiastic geocachers have already printed out the page and headed out to be the first to log it. icon_wink.gif

quote:
... be patient ...

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

My kids just couldn't wait for the official post. I had to give them the coordinates just to shut them up. Off they went on their bikes, in the rain with the GPS in a ziploc. Silence is golden. An hour later that plan backfired, because now they want to log it :-).

Can we log it? Can we log it? Can we log it?

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

Yotian Soldier is the cache approver who normally handles your area. But I'll look for your cache in the queue. Ik kan ook een beetje hollands lezen (maar niet spreken).

Tot ziens,

Thanks Eric. It's about geocache X-Treme. I can't imagine there would be anything wrong with it.

The cache still hasn't appeared on the site. What's happening?

Hé great, tot ziens!

quote:
The cache still hasn't appeared on the site. What's happening?

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen a cache of yours in the approval queue.

Are you quite sure it hasn't been posted? If you e-mail me with the cache URL or GCxxxx waypoint number I can check further but all indications are that it's posted or you would have gotten an archive notification. Maybe you screwed up and put in a West longitude instead of East, or made some other mistake that make it not show up where you think it should.....

~erik~

After I approved gr's cache and viewed it it had "This cache is temporarily unavailable..." in red at the top. I re-enabled it to remove that. I would't think that would make the cache not display on the approval queue, but it's possible. Come to think of it, I used to see disabled caches on the queue every now and then but probably haven't in many months.

The moral of the story - don't disable a cache that hasn't even been posted. icon_wink.gif

Disabling a cache will leave it out of the approval queue. This has been changed for several months now since many people like to post a cache and then disable it, which was clogging the queue with unapprovable (a word?) caches.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location