Can I (somehow) create a photo-cache

honymand

Hi,

I'd like to create a photo cache - a cache where there is no physical cache, but the finder has to take (and upload) a photo of the area while standing at the cache coordinates.

Is it possible? If yes, then how ?

I guess it was possible with the old virtual caches, but can this be made as a challenge cache (it's not a very hard challenge but still does require finding the right place, taking the photo and uploading). Or can it be made as a puzzle? Well, it is not really a puzzle. You might call it a challenge, only it's not very hard.

Best regards, Hans Olav

I'd like to create a photo cache - a cache where there is no physical cache, but the finder has to take (and upload) a photo of the area while standing at the cache coordinates.

I guess it was possible with the old virtual caches, but can this be made as a challenge cache (it's not a very hard challenge but still does require finding the right place, taking the photo and uploading). Or can it be made as a puzzle? Well, it is not really a puzzle. You might call it a challenge, only it's not very hard.

Best regards, Hans Olav

It sounds like a virtual cache to me:

Virtual Cache Logging Guidelines: A geocacher must visit the location of the virtual cache site to log the cache online. Logging a virtual cache requires compliance with the requirements stated by the owner. This includes emailing the cache owner to provide the required answers and sometimes photographs. Neither answers to questions nor hints should be placed in the logs, even if encrypted.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=310

New virtual caches are not being allowed.

Austin

Hi,

Best regards, Hans Olav

Well..... no.

A cache without a physical cache is either a virtual (disallowed now), or an EarthCache.

Requiring a photo to be uploaded is known as an Additional Logging Requirement (ALR) and those too, are disallowed.

As far as making a challenge, then probably -- I don't know for sure. I'm not into challenges.

Hi,

Best regards, Hans Olav

Would the location or scenic view fit into a Waymarking category?

Hi,

Best regards, Hans Olav

Hi Hans

How do you feel about moving to Montana?: http://coord.info/GC3G79N

I guess it was possible with the old virtual caches, but can this be made as a challenge cache

This is a Geocaching Challenge, creating one is a feature only available to Premium Members. So you would have to buy a Premium Membership ($10 US for 3 months is the minimum purchase).

Here's the landing page for Geocaching Challenges

And on that page are a couple of links, a learn more link, and and Create a New Challenge link. When you click the Create a New Challenge link, you'll see some instructions about what a challenge should be.

Hi Hans

How do you feel about moving to Montana?: http://coord.info/GC3G79N

How in HELL did that get past the reviewer and published!?!! :o

Go to ten places and take pictures to send to the CO, but there is no log. :unsure:

I think I want to at least try a little of whatever MT Fellwalker is smoking. :blink:

From the latest log from the reviewer it looks like the CO changed the listing after it was published. I thought it was interesting that the person that found it wondered if they were FTF but there wasn't any way to tell because the cache didn't have a log in it.