'Right' GPS - value for money in the UK

Although I am a 'granny', I am an ardent geocacher (relatively new)and live for outdoor adventure. (No comment :blink:) I own a Garmin Etrex 10 and although it does the basic job admirably, I am now in a position to upgrade and desire to do so because I simply 'want more'. I have looked at the forums at geocaching.com but when I research the products recommended, I am not too sure wether their positive points are all applicable here in the UK (i.e. price, availability and technical support, etc). I know that many of the GPS' have pro's and cons, but I welcome some suggestions for all-round good paperless GPS's in the price range £200 - £350. Many thanks.

There has been a recent discussion on this, and the major point to be decided at an early stage is whether you prefer a touch screen or the joystick/rocker switch type of user input. It's quite a big difference, and no-one can make that call for you. I prefer a touch screen such as on the Oregon, but the person I most often go caching with prefers the rocker switch.

You are already familiar with the rocker switch type of input. Ideally you might borrow a touch screen device for at least a full day's caching. I have a "spare" Oregon you could borrow for a day, but that would only be worth doing if you were somewhere near Heathrow so you could collect and return it.

After deciding which type of input you prefer, there are other things to consider, like the size of the display, built in compass, etc.

Rgds, Andy

Wish I had found this site before I bought my GPS ...... MemoryMap Adventurer 2800. Having so much trouble with it (albeit only 3 days). OS Maps are good but trying to upload any routes or Geocaches is nearly impossible. Anybody help?

My 10 year old and I found 2 caches tonight. He is hooked !!

Wish I had found this site before I bought my GPS ...... MemoryMap Adventurer 2800. Having so much trouble with it (albeit only 3 days). OS Maps are good but trying to upload any routes or Geocaches is nearly impossible. Anybody help?

as far as I know you can only add caches as POI's, but someone else will chime in soon. You should be able to return the unit within x time?

If you've only had it for three days then I would certainly take it back and try to replace it with something more geocaching friendly. Take a look at the Etrex 20 or 30. I own an E20, in my opinion its an excellent device.

If you've only had it for three days then I would certainly take it back and try to replace it with something more geocaching friendly. Take a look at the Etrex 20 or 30. I own an E20, in my opinion its an excellent device.
It is an excellent device, but so is an Oregon, for example. But while they are both good at what they do, they are very different to use, so it's worth investigating both before committing to one.

Rgds, Andy