Attaching a cache "base" to the ground

Hi,

Been geocaching with my family for a month now, and we love it. I checked out the sole geocaching book at the library, watched a bunch of online GC vidoes (HHH mostly), and been reading the forums here.

We are planning a future* cache, and had come up with a neat cache with PVC. The idea is to use two PVC tubes, and cover the smaller diameter tube with a slightly larger capped one. The cache would be a pill bottle attached to the underside of the cap with a chain. When you lift the larger tube off the smaller one, it would be revealed.

Here's the roadblock: I had planned to partially bury the smaller "base" PVC about 10 inches to serve as the vertical foundation for the larger tube. But in reviewing the rules and forum discussions, I've determined that I can't bury the tube. Now I'm thinking about simply staking the tube using a piece of grounding rod or rebar attached to the base PVC. Is it okay to push a stake or rod into the soil to firmly attached the foundation PVC to the ground? Other suggestions?

(NOTE: I'm a newbie, and although I did spend an hour searching the forums for this answer without luck, it's possible I missed a thread. If so, my apologies. If there's a thread covering this, please post the link. Thanks!)

(*Future Cache: Being new to geocaching, we've set a minimum 50 cache finds before we will commit to putting out our own cache.)

Will this be on your property? You're still inserting something into the ground for the purpose of your hide, and while some will say that's alright because you're not "digging" to place it, it's really not a good idea. If you do reside in the camp that says this type of hide is alright (and it's not a small population) then you have to answer the first question. Do you feel it appropriate to go around sitcking rebar into the ground on other people's property? Would you want it done on yours?

I like your creativity, but I'd implore you to use a different method to hide your caches. Good luck :D

No pointy objects. If you remove the cache will there be evidence that it was there? Cachers are not all careful and it could end up being removed from the ground and replaced and moved several times. It should not be attached to the land in any way that can cause damage.

I think the tube idea is great, as long as the property owner ok's it where the problem, if its safe and totally removable.

I don't see a difference between a cache in a hollow under a rock and a tube-top under a rock.

Might I suggest that BEFORE submerging your main tube, you drill holes near the top where you can insert some sort of hook to more easily pull upwards and remove the main tube. Then theres a hole left, easily filled if it ever has to be closed.

Also be sure to seal the bottom of the tube, ground water WILL rise.

I'm only new to this and this is actually one of my ideas for my first cache.

Another alternative is having to use a magnet to retrieve from a horizontal or vertical cache.

Edited by DOC-WHO

My only advice is to not buy into the myth that "since PVC pipe keeps water in, it must work to keep water out". In the years that I've been playing this game, I've found dozens of PVC pipe caches. Of these, a grand total of one was dry inside. Since you are planning on using an inner container, I would suggest using something more water resistant than a prescription medicine bottle. Match safes are fairly inexpensive, and work well at repelling water.

It does sound like a fun cache!

A really great cache hider in this area has a series of caches that are PVC pipes. It's the "tubular" series in Seattle.

He's got them all attached to fence posts with zip ties. Non-permanent, easy to remove.

They're all painted black to match the fence.

He's had a multi up for years in a really crowded park along the shore of the Puget Sound. Hundreds of people walk by these tubes that are in plain sight every day. No one bothers them. They're really not easy to notice.

My only advice is to not buy into the myth that "since PVC pipe keeps water in, it must work to keep water out". In the years that I've been playing this game, I've found dozens of PVC pipe caches. Of these, a grand total of one was dry inside. Since you are planning on using an inner container, I would suggest using something more water resistant than a prescription medicine bottle. Match safes are fairly inexpensive, and work well at repelling water.

Or these, soda bottle preforms. I had one totally submerged for a couple of years and it stayed dry.

Hey guys I really appreciate the input and advice! The more ideas the better for me, as it gives me a good reason to spend some time out in my workshop experimenting with container ideas and prototypes! I like the idea of hiding in plain sight, so I'll scout some locations where that fence post idea may work as well.

With a vertical PVC cache, it's important to have it held study in place so it won't fall over. That's why I had considered burying the base or use of a stake. Now I'm leaning toward pouring a round concrete base about 3 inches high by 10-12 inches wide and setting the bottom of the PVC base tube in it. That would make it pretty firm, but "somewhat" portable; and wouldn't require any burying at all. I will build a prototype and post a picture. In the right spot, it would look like a generic utility marker. I could also camouflage the concrete base to match the ground.

As for the water-tightness of PVC, I'm hoping that it would be fairly dry simply because it wouldn't be laying on the ground. However, the plan is to use a Bison tube to store the log. So even if it did get wet inside the PVB tube, the cache would be dry.

Again, thanks for the ideas everyone....

Here's the roadblock: I had planned to partially bury the smaller "base" PVC about 10 inches to serve as the vertical foundation for the larger tube. But in reviewing the rules and forum discussions, I've determined that I can't bury the tube. Now I'm thinking about simply staking the tube using a piece of grounding rod or rebar attached to the base PVC. Is it okay to push a stake or rod into the soil to firmly attached the foundation PVC to the ground?

I don't think most reviewers consider pushing a stake into the ground the same thing as digging.

LNT adherents have long railed against the practice of digging small drainage ditches around tents (once an accepted camping practice), but I've never heard them say a peep about tent stakes.

As long as you aren't excavating soil, then you should be OK. Now if you showed up with a telephone pole and a pile driver that would be a different story.

Edited by briansnat
However, the plan is to use a Bison tube to store the log. So even if it did get wet inside the PVB tube, the cache would be dry.

Kewl! One bit of advice I would add to the pile;

Not all bison tubes are Bison tubes. The real ones come from Bison Designs, and are created using a milling process, to ensure proper thread strength and fit. These are great containers for just about any environment. The crappy ones are made in third world countries, and are made by a multi-press process, resulting in weak, poorly fitting threads. These are the ones sold on EBay and on most Geocaching Store type websites. Save yourself the hassle of maintenance visits, and your peers the unpleasantness of dealing with a spit wad that used to be a log, and buy the real thing.

Not all bison tubes are Bison tubes. The real ones come from Bison Designs, and are created using a milling process, to ensure proper thread strength and fit. These are great containers for just about any environment.

You mean the ebay tubes sold 8 for $7 aren't any good? :P Your advice is well-taken. I'll check out the Bison store: http://www.bisondesigns.com/products/25

Thanks!

I like your creativity! I think the ruling with "buried" caches is that if you need anything more than just your fingers to make the hole, then it's a no. Even with permission, others might see the type of hide and assume it's ok to bury a cache somewhere else. Having dealt with many land managers over the years, one of the common misconceptions we have to overcome is that they think these caches are buried and people are going to be digging around trying to find it.

Love the idea of the concrete base though. I've seen a couple of home-made concrete cache containers and they were some of my favourite hides. It's awesome when a cache is plainly visible, but muggles walk by without even a second glance because it seems like something that belongs there.

Here's the roadblock: I had planned to partially bury the smaller "base" PVC about 10 inches to serve as the vertical foundation for the larger tube. But in reviewing the rules and forum discussions, I've determined that I can't bury the tube. Now I'm thinking about simply staking the tube using a piece of grounding rod or rebar attached to the base PVC. Is it okay to push a stake or rod into the soil to firmly attached the foundation PVC to the ground?

I don't think most reviewers consider pushing a stake into the ground the same thing as digging.

LNT adherents have long railed against the practice of digging small drainage ditches around tents (once an accepted camping practice), but I've never heard them say a peep about tent stakes.

As long as you aren't excavating soil, then you should be OK. Now if you showed up with a telephone pole and a pile driver that would be a different story.

Depends on the reviewer. i've been told fingers are considered "pointy objects"

I really like your picture and video,

nicely made, good idea,

I only hope more people will spend a little time and money on making cool and good working cache containers them self,

those are the most funny ones to find.

your log size is kind of small, there is a need for new logs often (think about that too)

I would make the bottom tube very stable and strong and deep

maybe enforce it with a metal rod inside, and maybe concrete if you can do this legally.

oh one more thing

I think your cache is actually lying on the bottom, under ground level, right ?

water ??

always try to keep containers OVER water level, even if container looks like a good type for the job,

it will be forgotten to be closed correctly some times.

Good luck there..

Edited by OZ2CPU

is there a gate on your backyard? how are cachers going to get back there?

Oh, any cachers in my backyard will be taken into custody! :lol: Sorry for the confusion, but this is not a "live" cache, but rather a "prototype" as stated above. I just wanted to post the pictures of the idea. I have no intentions to put a cache in my yard.

Water: I'll consider the chain length and see if I can come up with a solution to the cache container touching the wet ground. I have one plan in mind that doesn't have the cache on a chain, but rather setting in the top few inches of the smaller (inside) tube. Thus, the cache is suspended well above the ground and yet sheltered by the outer capped tube.

Cap: Yeah, I was actually inspired by the "remove cap" concept I'd seen in fence posts. I guess I just liked the idea of the overlapping tubes as a matter of personal preference. While I haven't discussed it yet here, I was thinking of grooving the outside tube so a finder would need to twist the post to lift it off completely. This would help avoid a casual discovery.

Size: As OZ2CPU noted, this cache container is a bit small. I have a variety of PVC tube sizes and just started with the smallest for ease of putting together a prototype. Looking at the small faux Bison tubes, they are indeed tiny. So I will definitely endeavor to get a bigger final version.

is there a gate on your backyard? how are cachers going to get back there?

Oh, any cachers in my backyard will be taken into custody! :lol: Sorry for the confusion, but this is not a "live" cache, but rather a "prototype" as stated above. I just wanted to post the pictures of the idea. I have no intentions to put a cache in my yard.

I realize that the pictures that you posted is just a prototype but even from the photos it looks fairly obvious that the dirt around the base type was disturbed, which, if I came across something like that in a park it would appear to me that a hole was dug in order to place the base PVC pipe in the ground. It also appears that even though the container for the log is the bison tube, I would see the entire structure as "the cache", including the part that is buried. If you created this cache and showed a photo which looked the the one you included earlier to a reviewer I'd be surprised if it got published.

This is sort of coming across as attempt to construct a cache that does involve digging a hole, but done in such a way that, as the creator, you could argue that the cache is not actually buried because the container is not in the ground.

As I've written before in related threads, it is my impression that the purpose of the "no buried caches" guideline is not to prevent hiders or finders from using pointy objects, or even to stop hiders or finders from digging. To me, the purpose of the guideline is to eliminate the fairly common perception among non-geocachers (and land managers) that geocaching is a game that involves buried treasure. If I were a land manager and came across a pipe that was stuck in the ground like the one shown in the photo, I wouldn't care what the geocaching guidelines said, or how you or the reviewer interpreted them. I would just see a pipe stuck in the ground, that appeared to be put there by digging a hole, and if I discovered that it was actually a geocache it would leave a pretty poor impression about the game.

I realize that the pictures that you posted is just a prototype but even from the photos it looks fairly obvious that the dirt around the base type was disturbed, which, if I came across something like that in a park it would appear to me that a hole was dug in order to place the base PVC pipe in the ground. It also appears that even though the container for the log is the bison tube, I would see the entire structure as "the cache", including the part that is buried. If you created this cache and showed a photo which looked the the one you included earlier to a reviewer I'd be surprised if it got published.

This is sort of coming across as attempt to construct a cache that does involve digging a hole, but done in such a way that, as the creator, you could argue that the cache is not actually buried because the container is not in the ground.

As I've written before in related threads, it is my impression that the purpose of the "no buried caches" guideline is not to prevent hiders or finders from using pointy objects, or even to stop hiders or finders from digging. To me, the purpose of the guideline is to eliminate the fairly common perception among non-geocachers (and land managers) that geocaching is a game that involves buried treasure. If I were a land manager and came across a pipe that was stuck in the ground like the one shown in the photo, I wouldn't care what the geocaching guidelines said, or how you or the reviewer interpreted them. I would just see a pipe stuck in the ground, that appeared to be put there by digging a hole, and if I discovered that it was actually a geocache it would leave a pretty poor impression about the game.

Hi NYPaddleCacher. Thanks very much for the info. I think we're pretty much on the same page.

Buried pipe: No plans to do it. As stated in my post #19, I just buried it for the sake of getting the concept in a picture. I agree that the entire structure, not just the Bison tube, would be considered the cache.

Buried treasure: I understand your comments and agree that all geocachers should be responsible for the "marketing" of geocaching. When I've taken my Cub Scout den out geocaching, many of the boys at first thought we were looking for buried treasure. That perception, for many, seems to be the starting point. Furthermore, a cache such as I'm contemplating would certainly need to be placed on property only after enlightened permission of the owner or manager.

As an aside, there really does seem to be some confusion in the GC community about geocaches below the plane of the ground surface. New to the endeavor, I've spent some time looking at various online videos, these forums and other websites, and I've seen a ton of caches involving stakes, being buried, etc. (Hydrant, buried plant, etc.) As a matter of fact, it seems sprinkler head hides are common to the point of being passe. It is because of this, I thought to take the time to bring this cache idea to the forums, and get the input from the community. I'm certainly not trying to figure out a technical work-around or semantic distinction of some kind or another, just to get an impermissible cache in the end.

I've appreciated everyone's ideas and input. I believe I have a free weekend coming up too. Hopefully, I can avoid some real chores and spend some time in the workshop putting something neat together. I'm leaning toward a concrete base but haven't yet ruled out a stake of some sort.

"Meanwhile, back at the lab, the volunteer cache reviewer for Northwest Ohio reads the thread, smiles, munches some Doritos, and reads the sentence in the current listing guidelines about not 'breaking ground' to hide a cache." :ph34r:

I think I remember reading this language change when the listing guidelines were re-organized awhile back but somehow forgot that included about breaking ground: Here's the exact entry:

Geocaches are never buried. If one has to dig or break ground to hide or to find the cache, then the cache is not permitted.

I think this serves as a reminder that before submitting a new cache it's always a good idea to review the guidelines to make sure nothing has changed which might be relevant. It may also illuminate the necessity for Groundspeak to prominently display something like "The Listing Guidelines have changed. Please review the guidelines before submitting your listing." anytime there is any change in the guidelines.

Hi NYPaddleCacher. Thanks very much for the info. I think we're pretty much on the same page.

Buried pipe: No plans to do it. As stated in my post #19, I just buried it for the sake of getting the concept in a picture. I agree that the entire structure, not just the Bison tube, would be considered the cache.

Buried treasure: I understand your comments and agree that all geocachers should be responsible for the "marketing" of geocaching. When I've taken my Cub Scout den out geocaching, many of the boys at first thought we were looking for buried treasure. That perception, for many, seems to be the starting point. Furthermore, a cache such as I'm contemplating would certainly need to be placed on property only after enlightened permission of the owner or manager.

Something else to think about here. Obtaining explicit permission for a cache ensures that you have met the "permission" guideline and, assuming the placement adheres to all other guidelines, that the cache can be published. However, you may also want to take additional steps to ensure the longevity of the cache. Let me give you an example. While on vacation a couple of weeks ago I went in search of a multi cache that was about 400 feet from the place I was staying. After obtaining the necessary information for the final location my GPS took me to a holly bush. In the bush, tied to the branches, I found a black zip tie, a 2 foot section of sisal rope, and a piece of heavy fishing line. Any of them could have been used to tether a container to the bush. What convinced me that the cache might be missing was a yellow hose connected to a faucet about 20 feet away and the other end at the base of the tree. The scenario I imagined was that a park groundskeeper had discovered the cache while watering the bush. As it turned out, the cache was actually connected to a much larger tree about 30 feet away. The point here is that even if you obtain explicit permission from someone from the city parks department, the fact that the cache has been placed or even what their general policy about geocaching may be, is not necessarily communicated to everyone that might find the cache by accident and even less likely that someone observing a geocacher trying to find it will know that it's a cache and permission has been obtained to find it.

As an aside, there really does seem to be some confusion in the GC community about geocaches below the plane of the ground surface. New to the endeavor, I've spent some time looking at various online videos, these forums and other websites, and I've seen a ton of caches involving stakes, being buried, etc. (Hydrant, buried plant, etc.) As a matter of fact, it seems sprinkler head hides are common to the point of being passe. It is because of this, I thought to take the time to bring this cache idea to the forums, and get the input from the community. I'm certainly not trying to figure out a technical work-around or semantic distinction of some kind or another, just to get an impermissible cache in the end.

I've appreciated everyone's ideas and input. I believe I have a free weekend coming up too. Hopefully, I can avoid some real chores and spend some time in the workshop putting something neat together. I'm leaning toward a concrete base but haven't yet ruled out a stake of some sort.

As you have seen, reviewer and others that may want to find your caches appreciate your diligence in covering all the bases for how you place a cache. I'll be interested to hear what you come up with as I've been toying with an idea for a cache that would also involve the use of a vertical "pipe". The idea of using a concrete block so that it appears that the pipe is permanently placed in the ground is something that I though of as well. Suppose you got a short piece of one of those cardboard sonotubes used for deck construction, place the pipe in the middle such that it was standing vertically, then pour in just a couple of inches of concrete. Once the concrete has hardened, it would have a concrete base that could sit flush on the ground but still support the pipe. Pile up some natural camo (leaves, a few small rocks, etc) and it might look like the concrete goes deeper in the ground, but you could pick the whole thing up and it wouldn't leave a trace that anything had ever been there except perhaps a small depression in the dirt that could be easily brushed away.

The idea of using a concrete block so that it appears that the pipe is permanently placed in the ground is something that I though of as well. Suppose you got a short piece of one of those cardboard sonotubes used for deck construction, place the pipe in the middle such that it was standing vertically, then pour in just a couple of inches of concrete. Once the concrete has hardened, it would have a concrete base that could sit flush on the ground but still support the pipe. Pile up some natural camo (leaves, a few small rocks, etc) and it might look like the concrete goes deeper in the ground, but you could pick the whole thing up and it wouldn't leave a trace that anything had ever been there except perhaps a small depression in the dirt that could be easily brushed away.

This is precisely what I was thinking about. Home Depot sells a circular 12 inch by 48 inch footing forms for under $8. I'm thinking the concrete would also seal off the bottom but probably not make it waterproof. (Concrete is porous, as pointed out by a poster above.)

It does sound like a fun cache!

The PVC in this case serves merely as the camouflage, I believe. The pill bottle is the actual cache container, and that pill bottle will be shielded from the elements by the PVC. I don't think that moisture is the problem here.

My own stance is that a rod pushed into the ground should not be considered "burying" a cache. The "pointy object" part of the guidelines is referring to ways of creating a hole to bury a container. A thin rod would create a hole that would be covered up by a single leaf once removed. Big "meh". I honestly can't see even the most stringent land owner taking exception to something like that.

ohiosoiuxfan, I would like to take a moment to personally thank you for not trying to "skirt" the guidelines, or justify your actions as not outside the guidelines. Couple this caring attitude with a creative mind, and you will bring much to the game!! I salute you!

Keystone, thanks for your funny observations, and for clarifying in your usual way without being obnoxious. You too are a credit to the game.

(don't live or cache near either one, so NO i am not trying to suck up):laughing:

We're getting closer to putting out a cache or two. I've been waiting to see how our interest in the hobby remains after a few months, and we're still having a great time and getting some friends interested in it. I scouted out a business property a friend of mine has for potential cache sites and found the metal structure pictured below. It looks like we might have a neat opportunity to use it somehow.

Does anyone know what the metal structure is? The top part comes off and there's a deep metal shaft that we couldn't see the bottom of. Maybe an old well?

Secondly, has anyone seen something like this used as a geocache? I'd love to see and example or link to a cache with similar properties. Thanks!

img3385yn.jpg

By ohiosiouxfan at 2012-06-09

img3383u.jpg

By ohiosiouxfan at 2012-06-09

Edited by Ohiosiouxfan

Looking at the pics again for your cache construction, I have to appreciate the lengths you have gone to in order to comply with the guidelines. I think the method you have come up with is pretty smart, and will work like a charm!!!

One alternative for you would have been to move to Oklahoma. New Years Day found my instant notifications crammed with about 70 "pipeline" caches in a small power trail with the pvc driven into the ground as in your original plan. Guess our Reviewer doesn't interpret the guidelines in the same manner. Go figure.:blink:

edit spelling

Edited by NeecesandNephews