Any Ham Radio Operators Here?

Guest Anton
Followers 26

Hi everyone,

I am posting this again as I don't know where the first one went.

I am trying to find out in what capacity do hams use their radios while geocaching.

I am in a ham club, GEARS, in Chico Ca and just wanted some info.

If anyone can help please let me know. icon_confused.gif

Thank you

Sue J KG6IZM/ag

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Lamble:

I know nothing about Ham radio, and not much more about GPS, but could you tell this novice how Ham radio and GPS mesh? I thought Ham operators were folks who sat at their sets in their basements all night long talking to people in Borneo and such. GPS is an outdoor thing. So I'm not making the connection. Could someone enlighten me?

Paul I recently took my GPS and HT (HT is a hand held ham transceiver) and helped in the Columbia shuttle recovery. I used my HT for relaying msgs from the field units and my GPS was used so Law Enforcement could mark debris. Ron

Texas Cache

quote:
Originally posted by Texas Cache:
Originally posted by Paul Lamble:

I know nothing about Ham radio, and not much more about GPS, but could you tell this novice how Ham radio and GPS mesh? I thought Ham operators were folks who sat at their sets in their basements all night long talking to people in Borneo and such. GPS is an outdoor thing. So I'm not making the connection. Could someone enlighten me?

Ham radio allows me to "Cache" by myself while camping or hiking in the mountains. Not only is it a BLAST to "treasure hunt" or "geocache" but the radio and GPS allow me safety in an emergency.

Have you ever tried to use a "cell phone" just a few miles off the main highway or out of town a little ways?

There are two ways of looking at radio also...the "bigger the better" or the "smaller and more efficient". I choose the low power portable stuff many years ago. (QRP). icon_smile.gif

It's possible to operate "world wide" with just a few watts and a simple antenna. icon_biggrin.gif

ALL Ham operators don't sit at home and "YAK" on the radio all night. icon_redface.gif Some of us combine the two hobbies for security and the adventure of the outdoors. Run a quick search of the "Adventure Radio Society" for some real adventurers...you will find a strong link between GPS and radio.

For me...there is nothing more fun than keeping in touch with friends while out on the trail "geocaching". It's really nice to sit around a campfire and talk about finding the latest cache after a hard day of hiking to friends all along the Eastern coast. I can usually work stations from WV to Colorado.

SOMEONE always knows my location and when to expect me back home. It's a SECURITY thing! icon_rolleyes.gif

Well I must admit I am not too active in Ham

Radio.. but I assure you I will never never

never let my license lapse. Too much work to get it again. My call is N7AVJ (all valuable junk)

This gps thing just gets you off the couch

(or out of the hamshack) which is very good for the bod.

But one more note about Hamming. Guys have you

heard about "Echolink". A entire new way to

enjoy Hamming. Check it out.

Don

Cedar City, Utah

quote:
Originally posted by wingryder:

But one more note about Hamming. Guys have you

heard about "Echolink". A entire new way to

enjoy Hamming. Check it out.

Don

Cedar City, Utah

There's also eQSO and IRLP.

My local IRLP node is GB3EE - node number 5120 and I also use GB3US - node number 5150.

Dave (G0DJA)

--... ...--

Morseman

I've been holding off until the vanity call came through.

Fantastic repeater here west of Washington, DC: 147.300 run by the Bluemont Repeater Group, and it covers a huge area 'round these parts (including parts of Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia and DC). We have a local 2 meter net as a part of the NTS, which meets every night at 7:30. Good practice for preparing, sending, receiving and delivering formal message traffic, and a great buncha folks.

If you're passing through the DC area (especially on the west side of town), stop in and chew a rag with us!

-----

~ Boyd

N5CTI

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell ya soon enough. If he ain't, don't embarrass him."

I'm poikaa of the poikaa / butterfly team in the U.P. of Michigan.... aka as KB8DNS, Butterfly is not a HAM yet! Several others in my area are HAMs and I am trying to think of a way to combine HAMMING and geocaching..... Best way would to add geocaching to a FOX hunt maybe as a clue in a FOX-BOX and left permanently as a HAM related cache at the site.

Rod KB8DNS poikaa / butterfly icon_biggrin.gif

loris 5b4fn

i also hope for something like gps&ham radio

73 73 de loris 5b4fn CW FOREVER HI

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

Greetings,

I'm a ham radio operator with callsign N2RUD. If you're a ham please send a reply, and we'll end up with a list of hams using this site. Perhaps the site administrator will give us a separate forum, called "GPS & Ham Radio". If you like that idea, say so!

Please leave your name and callsign.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-12-2001).]

papagreg@cytanet.com.cy

Wow! There are a ton of hams (new and old alike) on here. I have been a ham since my first call sign (WN2DWN) in the late 1960's. I changed my call sign to KD2DR in 1983 when I moved from my original home town (Elmira, NY), snd then changed it again to my current call (W2TXB), which was my late uncle's call sign before he died several years ago. He was the one who got me started in Ham Radio.

My wife (Sherry - N2LQI) has been a ham for about twelve years; I guess she figured that if she couldn't beat me, she would join me. icon_cool.gif

I Roger your vector, Victor...... Over.