Any Ham Radio Operators Here?

Guest Anton
Followers 26

quote:
Originally posted by Marty Fouts:

This forum, plus encouragement from the hams on #geocache, convinced me to start studying last week. Took all four element exams Saturday. Passed the written ones. Will retest on Morse in a couple of weeks. Talked my wife into taking the tech test. She aced it and is now studying Morse and the general.

Say hi to two brand new hams:

KG6NEE - Marty

KG5NEF - Jeanne

well, KG6NEE lasted all of two weeks. I passed my code test last Saturday (on the second try icon_frown.gif) and so am now an extra with a new license:

AE6IP - Marty icon_biggrin.gif

and Jeanne passed her code and the general test.

ae6ip

quote:
Originally posted by Marty Fouts:

This forum, plus encouragement from the hams on #geocache, convinced me to start studying last week. Took all four element exams Saturday. Passed the written ones. Will retest on Morse in a couple of weeks. Talked my wife into taking the tech test. She aced it and is now studying Morse and the general.

Say hi to two brand new hams:

KG6NEE - Marty

KG5NEF - Jeanne

well, KG6NEE lasted all of two weeks. I passed my code test last Saturday (on the second try icon_frown.gif) and so am now an extra with a new license:

AE6IP - Marty icon_biggrin.gif

and Jeanne passed her code and the general test.

ae6ip

quote:
Originally posted by Seesthewind:

Mike Byrum

Crescent City, CA

"Where The Redwoods Meet The Sea"

N6DQX

Formerly K6VLF (about 1958 issue if memory serves). Why in the world would anybody let a call like that lapse? Why?? Why??? (Probably could've gotten it back - never tried.)

Got my Garmin III Plus a couple of years ago. Just got into Geocaching within the last month or two. Although we're in the (early) senior citizen category, the XYL and I love Geocaching (and so do our dogs).

I've seen the earlier posts in this thread which mentioned Fox Hunts. When I started out in Ham Radio in the late fifties (in San Diego, CA), we called them "Rabbit" hunts and had them on 6 meters. Those were wild and crazy days man!! Back then I don't think the word "nerd" had even been invented and "geeks" were guys in carnivals who bit off chicken's heads.

Crescent City is a small town on the extreme north coast of California. This is Sasquatch country and the air-cycle chase in "Return Of The Jedi" was filmed right here in our Redwoods. Like most rural communities, we all (well almost all) drive pick-ups with a gun rack in the rear window and a big dog riding shotgun. As mentioned by others in this thread, a lot of Hams are outdoorspersons and that is certainly the case here in Del Norte County, CA. Ham radio and Geocaching fit together like an old 807 "bottle" in its socket.

Have A Great Geocaching Day.

73/88

Mike

Greetings, Mike. N8PZT, Stepehen, out of Traverse City, Michigan, home of the Two Bays!

Up until about the Spring of 2001, I was living in Grant's Pass, Oregon, 86 miles NW of Crescent City.

I had no idea that they filmed the forest speeder bike scene near there, so that's an interesting tidbit of information for me.

Nice little community you have there. Quiet...which is why I drove to Crescent City, as well as SW Oregon. Gawd! Those beaches are lovely!

I got homesick for my home country of the Mitten State, so I came back and am here to stay. While I was out west, I just didn't realize the flavor that was right under my nose all the time.

Enjoy what you have, it's mahvelous! icon_biggrin.gif

Nice meeting you,

73 de N8PZT

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Seesthewind:

Mike Byrum

Crescent City, CA

"Where The Redwoods Meet The Sea"

N6DQX

Formerly K6VLF (about 1958 issue if memory serves). Why in the world would anybody let a call like that lapse? Why?? Why??? (Probably could've gotten it back - never tried.)

Got my Garmin III Plus a couple of years ago. Just got into Geocaching within the last month or two. Although we're in the (early) senior citizen category, the XYL and I love Geocaching (and so do our dogs).

I've seen the earlier posts in this thread which mentioned Fox Hunts. When I started out in Ham Radio in the late fifties (in San Diego, CA), we called them "Rabbit" hunts and had them on 6 meters. Those were wild and crazy days man!! Back then I don't think the word "nerd" had even been invented and "geeks" were guys in carnivals who bit off chicken's heads.

Crescent City is a small town on the extreme north coast of California. This is Sasquatch country and the air-cycle chase in "Return Of The Jedi" was filmed right here in our Redwoods. Like most rural communities, we all (well almost all) drive pick-ups with a gun rack in the rear window and a big dog riding shotgun. As mentioned by others in this thread, a lot of Hams are outdoorspersons and that is certainly the case here in Del Norte County, CA. Ham radio and Geocaching fit together like an old 807 "bottle" in its socket.

Have A Great Geocaching Day.

73/88

Mike

Greetings, Mike. N8PZT, Stepehen, out of Traverse City, Michigan, home of the Two Bays!

Up until about the Spring of 2001, I was living in Grant's Pass, Oregon, 86 miles NW of Crescent City.

I had no idea that they filmed the forest speeder bike scene near there, so that's an interesting tidbit of information for me.

Nice little community you have there. Quiet...which is why I drove to Crescent City, as well as SW Oregon. Gawd! Those beaches are lovely!

I got homesick for my home country of the Mitten State, so I came back and am here to stay. While I was out west, I just didn't realize the flavor that was right under my nose all the time.

Enjoy what you have, it's mahvelous! icon_biggrin.gif

Nice meeting you,

73 de N8PZT

196939_600.gif

The upside: after having my long-time interest in ham radio rekindled by, in part, reading this forum, I decided to go for my license. Passed the Technician, General, and code elements last weekend. New call finally showed up today: KD7SWM!

The downside: after taking a break from geocaching for the last month, I went to load some new waypoints in my GPS a couple of days ago and: WHERE IS MY GPS??? Can't find it anywhere... So now, I am wanting to buy my first ham radio, but am looking at having to replace my GPS to continue to enjoy caching. ARRGGHH! icon_mad.gif

Anyway, sooner or (probably) later, I'll be back on the trails and in the parks. Maybe catch you on the air.

73!

- waynem

Any Ham opps in Fredericton N.B. or surrounding Area like to get together Just new to the Hoobie of GeoCaching and hoping to make my first find tommorow... if like to hear from you.

VE9SEX icon_eek.gif( yes its a Vanity Call And does Cuz some grief at times HI HI) and can be found on the 147.165 rpt in Fredericton...may have to use a 123hz tone..

Been in and out of ham radio since my early teens in 1960. Currently active with CW and RTTY DXing . . . and a little Hellscrhreiber as well.

Be interested in talking to hams to take radios on hikes and geocaching.

Great hobbies!

Roger W6LAX

Los Angeles

Hi Anton and the rest of you Hams from all over. My call is VA3 MRB, my nick name for Geocaching is IvanMike/ VA3 MRB. I am from Ontario, Canada, its a pleasure to be in this exciting hobby. I hope we can get some more Hams involved in this great outdoor activity. 73's for now VA3 MRB.

Hi,

I hail from Omaha, NE.

My Call sign is KA0ZBE.

I have 5 ham radios and enjoy CW and Voice Modes.

I would like to get into other modes someday like packet.

I enjoy GeoCacheing and currently have 4 travel bugs on various trips (one has traveled almost 3k miles!)

Feel free to email me at mjbahr007@aol.com or mjbahr007@cox.net if you want to chat someday.

My only antenna is a horizontal Vee dipole cut to 40M oriented towards the south, so my signal will be a little weak.

Just checking in. Call here is N4ZN. Gained my call before I lost my mind, and moved from SC to NY icon_biggrin.gif

New to geocaching, but I've been a closet boyscout for a long time, and used to do "geocaching type" excersises with my kid to make navigational training more interesting for him, before I ever heard of it. Also spent alot of time outdoors, and didn't need to buy anything to get into geocaching.

Picked up on geocaching just recently after reading something about it on the ARRL (amateur radio relay league)(arrl.org) website. Think it's become an addiction. icon_wink.gif

I try to talk up ham-radio to the geocachers, they seem interested. I try to talk up geocaching to the hams, they seem uninterested. I don't know... I think it has to do alot with the hams here in the Rochester, NY area just aren't that interested in talking to anyone they don't already know. icon_frown.gif At least the repeater crowd doesn't seem overly friendly. Polite, yes... friendly, no. All the ones cooped up in their basements monitoring radio Borneo, on the other hand, are very friendly. When I can find them, that is. But I don't think the comment about the HFers being slugs was very fair. Most of the HFers are older guys, not prime candidates for romps thru the woods. Most of the VHFers are younger guys... no problem romping thru the woods. I could give a personal viewpoint on why I think that is... but I don't want to say the "C" word in fear of starting a thermo-nuclear flame-fest here in this forum, on something that has absolutly nothing to do with geocaching. icon_rolleyes.gif

Me, I like it all. HF... SSB... that "other mode" icon_wink.gif... VHF... geocaching. But I am getting older, and I do have some physical limitations now. So don't think I'll become a full blown orienteerist anytime soon, although the knowledge is useful. icon_biggrin.gif

So... maybe CU sometime on the air, or in the woods. I get on VHF ocasionally, but I'm usually found on the bottom 20mc of any given band. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Wyzyrd on November 19, 2002 at 08:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by Wyzyrd on November 20, 2002 at 05:44 AM.]

[This message was edited by Wyzyrd on November 20, 2002 at 05:46 AM.]

[This message was edited by Wyzyrd on November 20, 2002 at 05:49 AM.]

K2UD, Howard in Buffalo, NY. Started 'caching last week, just received my GPSr (in that order!).

HF'ers DO take to the boonies. For the most part, they are QRP operators like myself. Doing more with less, keeping it simple, enjoying the great outdoors, these have much to do with 'caching methinx.

Howard K2UD

I've de-lurked earlier today, as far as the

geocaching forum ..

Amateur call is: WA6UBE,and am active on

packet radio in the SF Bay Area - 145.05

also on HF digital modes, such as:

Pactor

Gtor

RTTY,

in addition to palain, old SSB voice operations..

My mobile comvan also has ALE capability ..

and am a member of the HFLink group on

yahoogroups:

I'm planning an event cache for the Silicon Valley area on Saturday, December 21st ..

Once I nail down the exact Lat/Long, will post

the event to the geocache site...

Trish

In God we trust .. all others, we monitor.

quote:
Originally posted by Nasty George:

kn4ng

Good idea on additional forum. Also, how about an international geocaching net on 20 meters?

What, in between all the people chatting about Bees, Army/Navy/Airforce duties in 1944, or shouting "Good Contact" at a net controller who they probably can only hear, despite being told that they just worked someone they've no idea of the callsign of?

You know, there are G3s (UK people who were licenced back before 1970) who wonder why the 'young' (I'm 40 and I'm classed as "young" by those sort of people!) don't want to use HF. ;-)

--... ...--

Morseman