Sign in to follow this  
Followers 25
Guest Anton

Any Ham Radio Operators Here?

Wow, there are a lot of hams that also do Geocaching!

WD4IJE

Decatur, GA

Hi, I'm Christy.....ADØNN

Fenton, Missouri

I've done Fox Hunting, then got into Geo Fox Hunting and met some other hams that do Geo Caching.

Just signed up today...7/31/17

KC3III from Lancaster PA

i wouldnt have thoughts so many folks into geocaching would have a callsign! its a great thing.

Edited by GeoNinjaIII
  • Upvote 1

N8PZT, Stephen, in Lead, South Dakota.  (Got the 8-call back in Michigan, in 1991.)  Currently at General Class level, working toward my Extra.

I find Geocaching works well with Mobile Ham Radio operations.

Is there anyone here in the Lead/Deadwood area that also enjoys Geocaching?

Have Fun, Be Safe, Find The Treasure! :-)

Edited by Firefishe

Andrew--Central Florida

WX4AMS (yeah, vanity call--goes well with my other interest of meteorology! :D)

Got my license in 2014, two years after starting caching. Mostly repeater, net, and ARES operator, although I dabble in HF when I get the time...and I'm not out caching that is!

First licensed in 1967.  Got out for a few years and let my ticket lapse.  Got back into the hobby a year ago.  Extra class.

Work mostly HF.   Mostly SSB phone but play a bit with CW.

Yaesu FT-990, 100 watts and a wire (Carolina Windom actually) at 50 ft inverted V.  ICOM IC-718 for camping and field days with a homebrew EARCHI end fed cut to 53 ft.

VHF/UHF base antenna is a homemade copper J pole out of 3/4" copper at 50 ft.  In the camper the VHF/UHF antenna is either a homemade ground plane or 300 ohm slim jim.

Won't give my call.  Too many people already know where I live.

Edited by Wadcutter

G'day from Australia.

Mal VK3TV

Melbourne Australia

Edited by VK3TV

KM4EXE from Kentucky here.  Just got into geocaching at the beginning of this month.  Really enjoy it so far, a fun activity for the family.

Been toying with SDR for some years. Passed the exams last friday, should have my call sign within 1-2 months due to bureaucracy issues...

I'm will definitely be combining SOTA, hiking and geocaching as soon as I get my callsign.

WA7ADV in Washington State. 

First geocache about 10years ago. Have had a lot of down time with finding many, but usually have my family along when we do go look for more. I/we finally hit 100 finds last weekend!

Hoping to be more active in the future as I’m riding an adventure/touring motorcycle now, and working on incorporating radio/SOTA into it as well.

Also - added this as a new topic earlier, but then found this thread - but here’s what I posted.

*Custom Trackable Code*

I sent an email to geocaching.com, asking if it was possible to purchase or have a custom trackable code created, using my amateur callsign as the code. Their response unfortunately was that custom tracking codes are not currently available. I’m wondering if there was enough interest from other hams/geocachers, maybe we could get them to create the codes for us.

Any thoughts/interest in pursuing this with me?

VK2DF

Greetings from Australia - located on Sydney's Northern Beaches.

Was introduced to geocaching in 2014 at the local HAM radio club (Manly Warringah Radio Society - VK2MB) and have been hooked ever since. Currently at 2832 finds and 22 hides. Spend more time caching than playing radio these days :)

Hi,  I'm DF8AN Mike from Germany.

Love ham radio and geocaching.  See you on the bands.  73

Posted (edited)

I think you can figure that out by my screen name in Geocaching 😉

And on Saturday, I was the fox for our local Foxhunt.  Of course, I hid the transmitter near a geocache i needed.

Edited by K2GW
update

KC0QNB, Gothenburg, NE USA, I will activate a state park at our annual Geocaching picnic in September

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:11 PM, GoMonky said:

Also - added this as a new topic earlier, but then found this thread - but here’s what I posted.

*Custom Trackable Code*

I sent an email to geocaching.com, asking if it was possible to purchase or have a custom trackable code created, using my amateur callsign as the code. Their response unfortunately was that custom tracking codes are not currently available. I’m wondering if there was enough interest from other hams/geocachers, maybe we could get them to create the codes for us.

Any thoughts/interest in pursuing this with me?

Posted a year ago, but responding now;  there are so many existing variations of the gaming/hobby that unsure it would be done.  In comparison to getting tasks done by management at Geocache HQ, cant even get the Wherigo app fixed for IPHONE (broken in the browser for downloads and searches, not updated for three years).  You could just create a tracking item as associate with a geotag, and name it your call sign and add some suffix code to it.  73s  - N1KTJ