Any Ham Radio Operators Here?

Guest Anton

Greetings,

I'm a ham radio operator with callsign N2RUD. If you're a ham please send a reply, and we'll end up with a list of hams using this site. Perhaps the site administrator will give us a separate forum, called "GPS & Ham Radio". If you like that idea, say so!

Please leave your name and callsign.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-12-2001).]

Mike Byrum

Crescent City, CA

"Where The Redwoods Meet The Sea"

N6DQX

Formerly K6VLF (about 1958 issue if memory serves). Why in the world would anybody let a call like that lapse? Why?? Why??? (Probably could've gotten it back - never tried.)

Got my Garmin III Plus a couple of years ago. Just got into Geocaching within the last month or two. Although we're in the (early) senior citizen category, the XYL and I love Geocaching (and so do our dogs).

I've seen the earlier posts in this thread which mentioned Fox Hunts. When I started out in Ham Radio in the late fifties (in San Diego, CA), we called them "Rabbit" hunts and had them on 6 meters. Those were wild and crazy days man!! Back then I don't think the word "nerd" had even been invented and "geeks" were guys in carnivals who bit off chicken's heads.

Crescent City is a small town on the extreme north coast of California. This is Sasquatch country and the air-cycle chase in "Return Of The Jedi" was filmed right here in our Redwoods. Like most rural communities, we all (well almost all) drive pick-ups with a gun rack in the rear window and a big dog riding shotgun. As mentioned by others in this thread, a lot of Hams are outdoorspersons and that is certainly the case here in Del Norte County, CA. Ham radio and Geocaching fit together like an old 807 "bottle" in its socket.

Have A Great Geocaching Day.

73/88

Mike

Mike Byrum

Crescent City, CA

"Where The Redwoods Meet The Sea"

N6DQX

Formerly K6VLF (about 1958 issue if memory serves). Why in the world would anybody let a call like that lapse? Why?? Why??? (Probably could've gotten it back - never tried.)

Got my Garmin III Plus a couple of years ago. Just got into Geocaching within the last month or two. Although we're in the (early) senior citizen category, the XYL and I love Geocaching (and so do our dogs).

I've seen the earlier posts in this thread which mentioned Fox Hunts. When I started out in Ham Radio in the late fifties (in San Diego, CA), we called them "Rabbit" hunts and had them on 6 meters. Those were wild and crazy days man!! Back then I don't think the word "nerd" had even been invented and "geeks" were guys in carnivals who bit off chicken's heads.

Crescent City is a small town on the extreme north coast of California. This is Sasquatch country and the air-cycle chase in "Return Of The Jedi" was filmed right here in our Redwoods. Like most rural communities, we all (well almost all) drive pick-ups with a gun rack in the rear window and a big dog riding shotgun. As mentioned by others in this thread, a lot of Hams are outdoorspersons and that is certainly the case here in Del Norte County, CA. Ham radio and Geocaching fit together like an old 807 "bottle" in its socket.

Have A Great Geocaching Day.

73/88

Mike

NE5U. I hold an Extra ticket. I selected the call because it's easy to send.

_. . ..... .._

I am a photographer and I come here for locations of famous photographs.

So far I haven't had much luck with accuracy. For instance- the Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico coordinates are off by 1/4 mile or so.

Greetings,

I'm a ham radio operator with callsign N2RUD. If you're a ham please send a reply, and we'll end up with a list of hams using this site. Perhaps the site administrator will give us a separate forum, called "GPS & Ham Radio". If you like that idea, say so!

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

NE5U. I hold an Extra ticket. I selected the call because it's easy to send.

_. . ..... .._

I am a photographer and I come here for locations of famous photographs.

So far I haven't had much luck with accuracy. For instance- the Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico coordinates are off by 1/4 mile or so.

Hi there: Took me a short while to register your comment on Moonrise. But then it kicked me... since I sometimes do similar. Found that WM and then the area where Moonrise was likely taken... just cant do more than that from so far away... I have a bad habit of trying to locate photos in advertisements as for camera. Manage to nail quite a few, but 'famous' ones seem a bit more serious. I'm so bad, that one lady who was selling one of her paintings near here... one she painted... was a bit upset when I said she had obviously used several photos to work from. Then admitted I was right. The subject mountain was accurate, but no way the foreground was ever as portrayed, although another spot in the area was exactly like that. Turned out she was impressed as well as annoyed. As for the WM site, maybe the point of it was to challenge people to correctly solve the problem... or maybe just a Private Property issue getting close. The 70 year anniversary version I found was close but missed a lot I think, but may not have been possible as above.

You might do well with GC's as well, but have to hunt for photo references. Used some of my bad habit long distance on GC2FWDA in the DFW area... just came across a reference to a puzzle, then realized a family involvement with the location... 1916 no less... never found the cache due to distance but left them some images.

Doug 7rxc (VE7RXC)

Hi,

I'm not sure if already mentioned as this is a long thread but GPS and Amateur radio certainly do go hand in hand.

Also Geocaching can and is included along the way.

Have a look at these links, the Wainwrights is the one I take a special interest in and I have completed most of the challenge with just a few outliers left.

WOTA home

SOTA Home

SOTA watch

Best Wishes,

Deklan, 2E0MIX

Edited by Deklan

Well, I am new to the geocache hobby and was wondering how many Hams were here. I am a ham and my Call is VE1LPD, Atlantic Canada. Been a Ham for a number of years. My geocache name is also VE1LPD, and when I come across a cache, I've been leaving a resistor in the container, in addition to signing the log. Both hobbies are great and can be inter mingled quite well. Looking forward to a fun summer!

Last year I received my new vanity call sign, K5VLA. I knew I liked 1x3 calls and I live in Texas so I wanted it to reflect the region I was in so I went to vanityhq.com (which doesn't seem to be working anymore) and I look at every single region 5 1x3 call. Yes, every single one. There were a lot of calls and I wrote down each one I came across that meant something to me. I had about 50 calls written down and I narrowed it down to 20 calls. After a couple days of thinking I went with K5VLA. I was so excited that it was available and I got it. When I was in high school I took an astronomy class and one thing we talked about was the Very Large Array radio telescope in New Mexico, VLA for short. It was really interesting and I wanted to visit it someday. 15 years later my wife and I went to Las Cruces New Mexico to visit family. I told her that there was no way we were going to New Mexico and not visit the VLA, I didn't care how far away it was. I told her all about the VLA and showed her pictures and she wanted to go too. It was 197 miles, a 3 hour drive but it was worth it! We took lots of pictures and were able to see the radio telescope move a couple times. When I saw the K5VLA call I knew I had to get it. If I ever make it back to the VLA I'm going to bring my radio operator plate so I can hold it while taking this picture again.

theVLA.JPG

Edited by Travelinmatt76

I'm new to ham radio. I got my general license last fall: KD8VOK. I am also new to Geocaching. I've explored the web site in the past. Then I got busy with other hobbies. I plan to get out and find a few caches very soon as the weather starts to warm up.

Greetings,

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210