Any Ham Radio Operators Here?

Guest Anton
Followers 26

I attempted to include info about local repeaters and clubs in my cache writeups but the reviewers said I had an agenda, and a link to a radio club or association web site wasn't permitted.

Well yes I have an 'agenda'. I want to try to help hams who are geocachers connect with each other.

What does everyone in this forum think?

Should geocaching.com prohibit such information in cache writups?

I see no problem with links as long as they are on topic, how better to link to other like minded. I used our links, just with the firetower was a national group. As for the freq listed, did you do any research, think there is a board that we would have to ask to make it official.

k, a quick look at the band plan puts 146.74 in the repeater output section

another idea, my guess if ur a ham and playing with gps, bet also running aprs, freqs already set up n can use 100hz tone on aprs freq to contact or 52

as far as a net, my suggestion is to find a echolink or irlp node to host a national net

KB5SPZ Eric in NW Arkansas

I attempted to include info about local repeaters and clubs in my cache writeups but the reviewers said I had an agenda, and a link to a radio club or association web site wasn't permitted.

Well yes I have an 'agenda'. I want to try to help hams who are geocachers connect with each other.

Edited by fireman333

I see no problem with links as long as they are on topic, how better to link to other like minded. I used our links, just with the firetower was a national group. As for the freq listed, did you do any research, think there is a board that we would have to ask to make it official.

k, a quick look at the band plan puts 146.74 in the repeater output section

another idea, my guess if ur a ham and playing with gps, bet also running aprs, freqs already set up n can use 100hz tone on aprs freq to contact or 52

as far as a net, my suggestion is to find a echolink or irlp node to host a national net

KB5SPZ Eric in NW Arkansas

When I created my last two caches and got grief from the geocaching.com reviewers about the ham radio content, I decided it wasn't worth arguing with them. It is not worth my time and nothing will happen if I am the lone voice. However if a large number of geocaching hams are in agreement about this, then maybe they will budge.

APRS is one example of how amateur radio and geocaching are related.

How about a cache that requires a combination of gps and radio directing finding? It requires special equimpment but so does a cache that requires technical rock climbing, scuba diving, or even just a boat.

The reviwers suffer from the "I'm important" syndrom, and there is no where to turn, they are all powerfull and enjoy it that way. You have to remember that they don't understand anything like a radio and so don't see the issue. Why not mix two hobbys? They allow Scuba and Boating, off roading and camping to mix with Geocaching. I don't think any of us will make any progress with Ground Speak, because they have their own agenda, and it seems to not involve us.

KF7BVO, Phoenix

Time to have an ECHOLINK CONFERENCE setup for geocachers. This allows access from repeaters, links and directly from computers or smartfones, for hams to connect with each other at any time of day from anywhere in the world. Sure would be interesting to hear the stories of fellow geocaches, rather than the usual -hello- -wx- -qsl- -73-

Maurice Dake, K9EE

Lantana, FL

Greetings,

I'm a ham radio operator with callsign N2RUD. If you're a ham please send a reply, and we'll end up with a list of hams using this site. Perhaps the site administrator will give us a separate forum, called "GPS & Ham Radio". If you like that idea, say so!

Please leave your name and callsign.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-12-2001).]

Time to have an ECHOLINK CONFERENCE setup for geocachers. This allows access from repeaters, links and directly from computers or smartfones, for hams to connect with each other at any time of day from anywhere in the world. Sure would be interesting to hear the stories of fellow geocaches, rather than the usual -hello- -wx- -qsl- -73-

Wow, that would be a great idea!! I'm all for it!!

N4DLT

Hahaha. Wonder why the first page is full of inactive users. As Geocaching lost that many of the original cachers? I know I'm an old timer (started March 2002), but that is still like a year and a half after the game started.

Like ham radio, I gave geocaching a break for a while. While I haven't yet, looking to move further south (from DC area) and probably will be active again. Actually just got a new mobile radio after about two years off the airways. Up for my second renewal. Man....over 10 years caching, and 20 years in ham radio, and I'm not even out of my 30s yet.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

I don't think that they should prohibit such information in a cache writeup.

Hahaha. Wonder why the first page is full of inactive users. As Geocaching lost that many of the original cachers? I know I'm an old timer (started March 2002), but that is still like a year and a half after the game started.

Like ham radio, I gave geocaching a break for a while. While I haven't yet, looking to move further south (from DC area) and probably will be active again. Actually just got a new mobile radio after about two years off the airways. Up for my second renewal. Man....over 10 years caching, and 20 years in ham radio, and I'm not even out of my 30s yet.

N4DLT

EM95gi

www.n4dlt.2ya.com

N4DLT

EM95gi

www.n4dlt.2ya.com

That's not real far. FM-19 for now.

I don't think that they should prohibit such information in a cache writeup.

I would appeal. Ham radio has been allowed in the past. That is just the reviewer not being smart enough to understand ham radio (or one that doesn't like ham radio).