Anton,

Going back to your original question.

Geocacher 3 months.

Ham 15 years.

73, K2EMJ

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

Greetings,

I'm a ham radio operator with callsign N2RUD. If you're a ham please send a reply, and we'll end up with a list of hams using this site. Perhaps the site administrator will give us a separate forum, called "GPS & Ham Radio". If you like that idea, say so!

Please leave your name and callsign.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-12-2001).]

KF5DM, Silver City, NM

Well here is one more for the ever growing list.

My call is K9DDB and I live in Chicago. I have been a ham for 41 years and into Geocaching for a little over a year now.

Jim

K5AEA, Justin, Fort Worth, Texas till May, then 2 weeks in Europe (taking as many bugs as i can grab in the last week I'm here), then back to Univ of TX at Dallas for the rest of my BSEE Degree.

We are Mark - AB2LI and Kris - KC2GKE. Extra and General respectively. Located in Rochester, NY, USA.

[This message was edited by The Dibelka Family on April 20, 2002 at 03:50 PM.]

Yes, many!

VE1LV, Hal

VE1LV-9 APRS Mobile

Operate HF & VHF both at home and in the car.

Recently new to GEOCACHING and enjoying it.

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

WHR

yes I am a ham have been for a while, i just started geo caching the last month or so. I take my 2mtr icom hand held with me everytime i go out and I also have a mobile rig in truck. so greetings from 5 land

-.. . -.-. --- -. - .. -. --- --. ... .-- .- ...- . --... ...-- icon_rolleyes.gif

yes I am a ham have been for a while, i just started geo caching the last month or so. I take my 2mtr icom hand held with me everytime i go out and I also have a mobile rig in truck. so greetings from 5 land

-.. . -.-. --- -. - .. -. --- --. ... .-- .- ...- . --... ...-- icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Lamble:

I know nothing about Ham radio, and not much more about GPS, but could you tell this novice how Ham radio and GPS mesh? I thought Ham operators were folks who sat at their sets in their basements all night long talking to people in Borneo and such. GPS is an outdoor thing. So I'm not making the connection. Could someone enlighten me?

quote:

I know nothing about Ham radio, and not much more about GPS, but could you tell this novice how Ham radio and GPS mesh? I thought Ham operators were folks who sat at their sets in their basements all night long talking to people in Borneo and such. GPS is an outdoor thing. So I'm not making the connection. Could someone enlighten me?

hello Paul, you have probally all ready found out what the two have in common? I would like to tell you a little about ham radio. I am sitting in my home cool, in a leather back exec. chair listen to a station in the south of france !!! he is working all over the world right now. that means he is talking to a whole bunch of people all over the world. Not the USA but the world. i am down in the extra class portion of the amateur band on 20 mtrs, that is on 14.190 mhz.So everybody is not sitting around in their basements talking to people, but some hams do have ham shacks in the basements. My Kenwood hf transceiver has a very good receiver in it. If you have a GPS , it has a receiver in it thats picks up the sat signals from the sky above. so radio & gps have alot in common. I have been licensed since 1986 and I enjoy talking all over the world. i have talk to Japan, Australia, NewZealnd, Russia, you name it we have worked it. I enjoy it. I recently got involved in gps geo caching. I use my magellan when I hunt & fish. I hunt in some very big scopes of woods, with no roads or creeks or rivers very close by, so if you dont know the lay of the land , well you will get lost and stay lost for a long time. I am talking about for hrs or days. Thats why I take my magellan with me when I go hunting. If you are interested in ham radio their is plenty of places to go , to read up on what is going on now. one good place is ARRL league (which stands for the american radio relay league. its the bigest orgazation in the usa involved in hams. We have about 800,000.000 hundred thousand hams in the USA.Their is over 1 million hams in Japan. We have the best opeartors here, but the DX stations are very smart adn most speak several diff. languages and most have been all over the world traveling. Ok i guess you get the picture and I am not bashing you comment , but just letting you know that most all hams have worked hard and studied very hard to learn the code and theory , thats involved in taking all the test you have to take to get the licenses. I put in 11 months of hard study time to gain my extra class ( the highest class) license one can obatin in ham radio. Its not easy and its well worth it if one wants it bad enough. So enough about that, and I am just now learning about geo cahcing and I love it. I am going at 6icon_redface.gifo am in the morning to find one about 50 miles from my qth (house). So If you need any more info on ham radio , just let me know or go to arrl.com the league can help you get started in this great hobby. and 73's for now OM ( ole man) hame radio term, and good luck If you go into radio and happy hunting on all your caches. -.. . -.-. --- -. - .. -. --- --. ... .-- .- ...- .

quote:

hello Paul, you have probally all ready found out what the two have in common? I would like to tell you a little about ham radio. I am sitting in my home cool, in a leather back exec. chair listen to a station in the south of france !!! he is working all over the world right now. that means he is talking to a whole bunch of people all over the world. Not the USA but the world. i am down in the extra class portion of the amateur band on 20 mtrs, that is on 14.190 mhz.So everybody is not sitting around in their basements talking to people, but some hams do have ham shacks in the basements. My Kenwood hf transceiver has a very good receiver in it. If you have a GPS , it has a receiver in it thats picks up the sat signals from the sky above. so radio & gps have alot in common. I have been licensed since 1986 and I enjoy talking all over the world. i have talk to Japan, Australia, NewZealnd, Russia, you name it we have worked it. I enjoy it. I recently got involved in gps geo caching. I use my magellan when I hunt & fish. I hunt in some very big scopes of woods, with no roads or creeks or rivers very close by, so if you dont know the lay of the land , well you will get lost and stay lost for a long time. I am talking about for hrs or days. Thats why I take my magellan with me when I go hunting. If you are interested in ham radio their is plenty of places to go , to read up on what is going on now. one good place is ARRL league (which stands for the american radio relay league. its the bigest orgazation in the usa involved in hams. We have about 800,000.000 hundred thousand hams in the USA.Their is over 1 million hams in Japan. We have the best opeartors here, but the DX stations are very smart adn most speak several diff. languages and most have been all over the world traveling. Ok i guess you get the picture and I am not bashing you comment , but just letting you know that most all hams have worked hard and studied very hard to learn the code and theory , thats involved in taking all the test you have to take to get the licenses. I put in 11 months of hard study time to gain my extra class ( the highest class) license one can obatin in ham radio. Its not easy and its well worth it if one wants it bad enough. So enough about that, and I am just now learning about geo cahcing and I love it. I am going at 6:oo am in the morning to find one about 50 miles from my qth (house). So If you need any more info on ham radio , just let me know or go to arrl.com the league can help you get started in this great hobby. and 73's for now OM ( ole man) hame radio term, and good luck If you go into radio and happy hunting on all your caches. -.. . -.-. --- -. - .. -. --- --. ... .-- .- ...- .

Anton, and the rest:

APRS does much more than track transmitters. WX data can be added, or any other telemetry. The location doesn't have to be where the transmitter is, it can be anywhere.

Example: if you have a HAZMAT incident, you create an object at that location, so the incident shown on all the maps. If you also display the windspeed and direction reports from the WX stations nearby, it is easy to predict where the toxic cloud is going to blow, and start your evacuations there.

My homepage http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~avcook has links to all kinds of APRS information and software. Just click on the world.

73, All!

Alan, N7CEU OOC Ohio Section ARRL

Cheryl, KC8TDU

Together: TEAM ANGEL

Howdy!

I'm in central Vermont, near Montpelier

Don't do any hamming right now, perhaps GeoCaching will re-kindle my interest -- I got tired years ago of wx reports and rig & antenna rag-chewing... Been a Ham since '74... 40m & 2m...

N4kHz

"Kilohertz"

Hey I'm in California and am a Am operator. I've done fox hunting and there are several here in San Diego that are both geocachers and ham operators.

Another two G6ITD (Mcdehack) M0ATL (philgn) to be found on 70 cms GB3LW along with the other 8 ham london taxi drivers

KA5RDH

Grand Prairie, TX.

My parents got me interested in HAM radio a long time back. We all used to be active in the Arlington Radio Club, but we haven't been active in years. Have just recently thought about upgrading and buying a new radio.

Started looking for benchmarkers a few months ago and found that most locations were great for hill topping.Built one of the "tape measure" beams for fox hunting and used that with an HT.Lotta fun to see what can be done with minimal equipment.73,John,N1XLG