Any Ham Radio Operators Here?

Guest Anton
Followers 26

Richard

K4OEM Originally licensed as KF4KAP

Just started Geocaching in October of this year. I first heard of it back in 2001 When I was with the Mayors Office of Emergency Management as a Field Coordinator and Ham Radio Coordinator but the guy who told me about it was the head of the Bomb Squad and he was very negative in his comments so I didn't really think much about it at the time.

WD0AFQ, Dexter, Mo. Just grabbed our 500th cache. This group needs it own discussion forum as this thread is too long for any discussion.

We have a week long hamfest in Quartzsite, Az. every January with lots of geocaching in the desert. this year it starts Jan. 23rd. Lots of motorhomes and trailers drycamping.

Dan

WD0AFQ, Dexter, Mo. Just grabbed our 500th cache. This group needs it own discussion forum as this thread is too long for any discussion.

We have a week long hamfest in Quartzsite, Az. every January with lots of geocaching in the desert. this year it starts Jan. 23rd. Lots of motorhomes and trailers drycamping.

Dan

Dan, tell me more about the Hamfest at Quartzsite. I go almost every year. even last year. Rain and wind

stayed about 2 weeks and returned to So Cal

going again this year and I'm interested in checking out the Ham fest

more info please

Dan

Dan, tell me more about the Hamfest at Quartzsite. I go almost every year. even last year. Rain and wind

stayed about 2 weeks and returned to So Cal

going again this year and I'm interested in checking out the Ham fest

more info please

N0DMC

Bill Cook

Living in southern Oregon. Do lots of geocaching with a fellow ham. We try to go out once a week. We also carry our dual-band handhelds with us on the journey. We can always use his repeater or go simplex when needed.

Currently using a Garmin 60CSx as WELL as a new Samsung SCH-i500, running DROID 2.1-update1 with Geocaching 1.1.2 software. Since the Garmin isn't PAPERLESS, I use the cell for description of the cache, notes, logs, etc. Using GSAK software for the PC to download/upload caches both from/to the website and from/to the Garmin. Saving gpx files also allows me to upload them to the cell and use them there.

de N0DMC

Greetings,<BR><BR>I'm a ham radio operator with callsign N2RUD. If you're a ham please send a reply, and we'll end up with a list of hams using this site. Perhaps the site administrator will give us a separate forum, called "GPS & Ham Radio". If you like that idea, say so!<BR><BR>Please leave your name and callsign.<BR><BR>Anton<BR><BR><BR>------------------<BR>Anton Ninno, N2RUD<BR>Syracuse, NY 13210<BR><BR>[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-10-2001).]<BR><BR>[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-12-2001).]

KG6TBI <_<

Rock on HAMMIES!!!

Edited by redridinghood7

Greetings,<BR><BR>I'm a ham radio operator with callsign N2RUD. If you're a ham please send a reply, and we'll end up with a list of hams using this site. Perhaps the site administrator will give us a separate forum, called "GPS & Ham Radio". If you like that idea, say so!<BR><BR>Please leave your name and callsign.<BR><BR>Anton<BR><BR><BR>------------------<BR>Anton Ninno, N2RUD<BR>Syracuse, NY 13210<BR><BR>[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-10-2001).]<BR><BR>[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-12-2001).]

KG6TBI :laughing:

Rock on HAMMIES!!!

:rolleyes: emorehead KD5HLG sounds good to me

I have been a ham radio operator for about 35 years. Got interested in geocaching in Jan, 2007. Have been fairly active in both since then.

I am also interested in APRS and have used it on travels around the country to allow friends and family to keep track of where I am, or at least for the most part. I put together a puzzle cache,(see GC19B6Y]) where I use a Garmin GPS II Plus connected via Tiny Tracker, which I built from a kit and installed in a Commercial Tait radio. The information needed to find the cache is transmitted to the internet approx every half hour.

As far as I know this is the only cache using this method at the present time.

I also have a great interest in IRLP and have my own Repeater and Node (1503) located at my home QTH.

My personal callsign is VE7HD and the repeater registered to me is VE7VCR

I have a son who is also a Ham and geocacher living in Manitoba, Canada.

Check out my puzzle cache and let me know what you think.

Cheers from VE7HD in British Columbia, Canada.

Hi Dave VE3FOB in Toronto, ON.

Very new to GeoCaching... but have found 2 and have a Travel Bug to move on it's way.

73 and sounds good to me...dave

Mike Byrum<BR>Crescent City, CA<BR>"Where The Redwoods Meet The Sea"<BR><BR>N6DQX <BR><BR>Formerly K6VLF (about 1958 issue if memory serves). Why in the world would anybody let a call like that lapse? Why?? Why??? (Probably could've gotten it back - never tried.)<BR><BR>Got my Garmin III Plus a couple of years ago. Just got into Geocaching within the last month or two. Although we're in the (early) senior citizen category, the XYL and I love Geocaching (and so do our dogs). <BR><BR>I've seen the earlier posts in this thread which mentioned Fox Hunts. When I started out in Ham Radio in the late fifties (in San Diego, CA), we called them "Rabbit" hunts and had them on 6 meters. Those were wild and crazy days man!! Back then I don't think the word "nerd" had even been invented and "geeks" were guys in carnivals who bit off chicken's heads.<BR><BR>Crescent City is a small town on the extreme north coast of California. This is Sasquatch country and the air-cycle chase in "Return Of The Jedi" was filmed right here in our Redwoods. Like most rural communities, we all (well almost all) drive pick-ups with a gun rack in the rear window and a big dog riding shotgun. As mentioned by others in this thread, a lot of Hams are outdoorspersons and that is certainly the case here in Del Norte County, CA. Ham radio and Geocaching fit together like an old 807 "bottle" in its socket.<BR><BR>Have A Great Geocaching Day.<BR><BR>73/88<BR><BR>Mike

another one... EA3SD, Op. Toni.

73.s

John Kd7jmz here Yakima WA there are many ham cachers in my area our local ham radio club president is actually geocacher and has been doing it long than myself I have also noticed the one That I placed near the site of our yearly ham fest gets found alot during the ham fest weekend and accourding to the logs they are in town for the ham fest I have alos seen numerous hams walking around during our ham fest with geocache hats and shirt so I believe that they go together well

Here is a old one for you from back in the day when you had to have a permit for a C.B. radio. KBC-2186. I was once an 11 meter Outlaw. The best unit that I ever owned was Galaxy 99 export and a Texas Star DX-1600. I gave all that up when I quit Trucking. Now I have a Uniden Pro 510 and a Wilson magnet mount antenna, and that is only because I work in the Coal fields and the roads are so narrow that we must contact the Guard shack before heading up to the Mines. I hope this is not too far off topic, I know how most Ham Boners feel about us Chicken Banders.

Merry Christmas to all.

Here is a old one for you from back in the day when you had to have a permit for a C.B. radio. KBC-2186. I was once an 11 meter Outlaw. The best unit that I ever owned was Galaxy 99 export and a Texas Star DX-1600. I gave all that up when I quit Trucking. Now I have a Uniden Pro 510 and a Wilson magnet mount antenna, and that is only because I work in the Coal fields and the roads are so narrow that we must contact the Guard shack before heading up to the Mines. I hope this is not too far off topic, I know how most Ham Boners feel about us Chicken Banders.

Merry Christmas to all.

I am sure a very large number of us Ham Boners were once Chicken Banders - I have been a Ham for many years but remember those days with some trepidation.

Merry Christmas to you Chicken Banders as well....