CU on the radio. 73

well... what does everybody have?

------------------

I do radio.

Anything that is radio.

Yes, GPS is radio.

GO HAM RADIO!

Guest Steak N Eggs

If you loked up a few posts YeasuMan you would have seen a freq, time and mode. Just give me a date. tonight I be there at that time, if not dial down to 7.294 and check in on the Sandia net and see If i am around. If one of the locals here hear ya they can get me on another freq to let me know you were there.

Sat night the wife and I are going out so Sunday might be a better day...

73's

Guest leemannn

Leemannn Lee AC7KT

Eric N7PQC

H E L L O icon_biggrin.gif

Guest leemannn

Leemannn Lee AC7KT

Eric N7PQC

H E L L O icon_biggrin.gif

Guest kc8eqa

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

Here's a couple of thoughts for you, hope that one of them works...

Have you set the GPS to output NMEA sentences? Yo need to go into the options menu to do this on most GPS units. They tend to be set up to default to the manufacturer's own system/program standard, and not NMEA.

Is the baud rate between the GPS and the radio correct? On my Garmin it defaults to 4800 baud between GPS and PC/rig and you may need to make sure both bits of kit are set to the same rate.

Can you find someone who has a working APRS set up using a similar GPS/radio combination and see if you can set yours up the same way, or see if connecting your GPS to their system works and then copy that set up in your system?

Went to Radio Shack and picked up the plug on the end of the connecter, then added that to the end of my cable from Garmin. It works I went out to the local radio shop and asked them how to get a new one and they said that they have had at least 2 bad cables. I do not know how the cable is broke, but it was the one that came with my D-700.

73's

Josh

KC8EQA

EN80KA

Guest YaesuMan

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

If you loked up a few posts YeasuMan you would have seen a freq, time and mode. Just give me a date. tonight I be there at that time, if not dial down to 7.294 and check in on the Sandia net and see If i am around. If one of the locals here hear ya they can get me on another freq to let me know you were there.

Sat night the wife and I are going out so Sunday might be a better day...

73's

sorry, is the the 6:00 UTC? or california?

------------------

I do radio.

Anything that is radio.

Yes, GPS is radio.

GO HAM RADIO!

Guest Steak N Eggs

quote:
Originally posted by YaesuMan:

sorry, is the the 6:00 UTC? or california?

7:00 pm Pacific (They changed the time of the net) or 300 zulu.

------------------

"MY gps said it's RIGHT HERE!"

http://www.geogadgets.com

Guest SuperRadioMan

quote:

7.298 mhz lsb 6:00 pm....

soooo.... 7.298 mhz, 3:00 UTC, right?

------------------

I do radio.

Anything that is radio.

Yes, GPS is radio.

GO HAM RADIO!

Guest Steak N Eggs

quote:
Originally posted by SuperRadioMan:

soooo.... 7.298 mhz, 3:00 UTC, right?

On 7.294 is the Sandia Net. They do trivia and it's quite fun, if you like to HANG out with older people. THAT is where I am easily reached....

------------------

"MY gps said it's RIGHT HERE!"

http://www.geogadgets.com

Guest SuperRadioMan

quote:

On 7.294 is the Sandia Net. They do trivia and it's quite fun, if you like to HANG out with older people. THAT is where I am easily reached....

ok. sounds like lots of fun!

Guest gadgetjon

N2JAC

just found my first geocache last weekend. Have done several foxhunts with the Xerox club, and have my own basic stamp controlled close range fox. Just got a 50mw transmitter from ramseyelectronics.com that I hope to link with a geocache somehow. got my garmin 45 in 1995 and was one of the first to go mobile with APRS here.

http://www.qsl.net/n2jac

Guest fairbank

Well, I haven't been browsing these forums for a long time and I was thinking of an idea for a cache for hams and I started to throw the idea out the window but remembered about these forums so I decided to check around. I figured that it might not be such a good idea because there wouldn't be many hams around that were geocachers. Boy was I wrong!!! So now I will go ahead with my idea. Iv'e been a Marine Electronics Tech for 26 years but never got into amateur radio til last month when I finally did it and got my tech license, and will go for the general this weekend. Hoping to hear some geocacher's on the 2 meter band soon.

KB3HOL

How to Become a Ham

Ham radio is the premier high-tech hobby. It's enjoyed by people from all walks of life from around the world. The rules for becoming an amateur (ham) radio operator vary from country to country around the world. On this page we're going to tell you a little about the hobby and how you can obtain the necessary license to operate in the United States.

It's never been so easy to get into ham radio. All ham radio operators must be licensed before they can legally operate. This differs a great deal from the CB (i.e. truckers) and FRS (i.e. dimestore walkie-talkie) services which require no licenses.

Amateur radio operators must be licensed because they are given transmitting privileges on a wide variety of frequencies and are allow to use just about any equipment imaginable, even home built radios. Amateurs are allotted not single specific frequencies but usually whole ranges (bands) of different frequencies to operate on. These frequencies and methods of transmission are are specified by FCC rules and so it is therefore necessary to be generally familiar with your operating limitations in order to transmit lawfully.

In order to qualify for an amateur radio license, you must pass certain tests to determine that you have the required knowledge. Fortunately, the tests are not terribly difficult for most people. There are three license levels (known as classes) where each class grants greater privleges to the individual. There is a single written test for each license class, and for the advanced classes, a simple 5 word-per-minute Morse code test. The license classes are:

* Technician Class - this is the entry level license. It gives privileges on all amateur frequencies above 50 Mhz and is the most popular. It requires only a written test.

* General Class - this is the mid-level license. It enables privileges on most amateur frequencies below 50 Mhz and includes global HF (shortwave) communications. This license also has a written test and a 5 word-per-minute Morse code test.

* Extra Class - this is the highest level license. It grants privileges on all amateur frequencies. It has its own written test and requires that you also have passed all of the Technician and General class written and Morse code tests.

Okay, so where do I start?

This part is easy. The first thing you should do is obtain the home study materials to prepare you for the test. These will give you the background that you'll need to understand the gist of what the tests are about. You can even order study materials online!

When you're ready to take the test, you should then locate the nearest license exam opportunity in your area. The ARRL website provides a searchable index where you can find the test session nearest you.

The W5YI-VEC also offers many testing opportunities. You can visit their website at: http://www.w5yi.org/vol-exam.htm

That's it! It typically takes about 2 weeks for your new license to arrive in the mail and you're ready to go! In the meantime, you can look into local clubs and ham radio organizations to find out more about what's going on in your area.

License Study Materials

QRZ, in association with the W5YI-VEC, have made a comprehensive set of license exam study materials available.

Click here to see the study guides.

That's "mister" radio to you.

How would one of you ham radio guys like to help me with a cache. It is called 'Play It Again, Sam' and is on the Australian Site in New South Wales.

I need to know what the morse code says so I can try for the cache.

I haven't done morse code in more than 20 years so needless to say I am not just rusty I am eroded.

Thanks in anticipation.

quote:
Originally posted by SNIFTER:

How would one of you ham radio guys like to help me with a cache. It is called 'Play It Again, Sam' and is on the Australian Site in New South Wales.

I need to know what the morse code says so I can try for the cache.

I haven't done morse code in more than 20 years so needless to say I am not just rusty I am eroded.

Thanks in anticipation.

Yes, no problem.

Do you want to post the code here? Decoding will be no problem, or do you want someone to post the letters and the morse code that goes with it so you can decode it yourself?

--... ...--

Morseman

If it was written down I wouldn't have a problem. Trouble is it is only audible and you have to have adobe reader to listen to it. Thats not a problem either it is just so long since I listened to it(morse) that the grey matter does work like it used to. icon_confused.gif

Here is the link to the site

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=17332

[This message was edited by SNIFTER on March 22, 2002 at 02:55 PM.]

If it was written down I wouldn't have a problem. Trouble is it is only audible and you have to have adobe reader to listen to it. Thats not a problem either it is just so long since I listened to it(morse) that the grey matter does work like it used to. icon_confused.gif

Here is the link to the site

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=17332

[This message was edited by SNIFTER on March 22, 2002 at 02:55 PM.]

Hi there...

Didn't see anyone mention this, but if you're interested in becoming a ham, a good site to use to take practice tests is http://www.hamstuff.net It will generate practice tests for all license classes using the current FCC question pool. It grades your test when you're done and you can even print out some practice tests and keys to take with you to work on later (on a flight across country or during a lunch break while geocaching, for instance... icon_smile.gif )

Anyway, I found it helpful...good luck!

JM-99

Hi there...

Didn't see anyone mention this, but if you're interested in becoming a ham, a good site to use to take practice tests is http://www.hamstuff.net It will generate practice tests for all license classes using the current FCC question pool. It grades your test when you're done and you can even print out some practice tests and keys to take with you to work on later (on a flight across country or during a lunch break while geocaching, for instance... icon_smile.gif )

Anyway, I found it helpful...good luck!

JM-99

Greetings from Trisha (N7TMY), Prescott, Arizona and Dan (WB6ALS), Reno, Nevada. Soon to be located together in one or the other of those places!

Dan has been a Ham for a zillion years and maintains 5 UHF repeaters in the Reno/NW Nevada/East Central Calif areas. Check it out at http://www.qsl.net/wb6als/ .I have been a Ham for 10 years, and a geo-cacher for about a year. I just introduced Dan to geocaching and he loves it too.

I am also in search and rescue in Arizona and we use GPS and radio communications as an essential part of our search efforts.

HI SNIFTER!

We were glad to help out a fellow geo-cacher/Ham. Hope this helps you find what must be a very interesting cache in Australia. By the way, we want to visit.....

Anyway, the code says:

UPDATE on 3/26/02!

Well, as you can see below, the cache owner has requested that the decoded code not be placed on a public forum. (Even a relatively obscure one like this) To honor that, I have removed the text. SNIFTER... I see you got it. Good luck with the cache. Everybody else, hope you saw it while you could!!! (Done by Trisha ~ Lightning)

P*** ** ***** ***.

$$$$ $$$$?

R********?

??????????????

&&&&&?

M@@@@@?

^^^^^^?

########?

""""?

%%%%%%%%%?

>>>>>>>>?

???? ?? ::::: :::.

Sure hope this makes sense to you, it makes NO sense to us!! (It even makes less sense now!!)

Good luck and it you don't mind, could you email and let us know if you find the cache and what it was like? Thanks, we like to cache vicariously!! (ha ha)

Dan (WB6ALS) and Trisha (N7TMY)

Reno, Nevada and Prescott, Arizona

with help from Frank (K7SFN) (Reno)

(Southwest USA)

Cache ID: "Lightning1996YCJP"

email: wb6als@qsl.net

icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Lightning1996YCJP on March 25, 2002 at 09:51 PM.]

HI SNIFTER!

We were glad to help out a fellow geo-cacher/Ham. Hope this helps you find what must be a very interesting cache in Australia. By the way, we want to visit.....

Anyway, the code says:

UPDATE on 3/26/02!

Well, as you can see below, the cache owner has requested that the decoded code not be placed on a public forum. (Even a relatively obscure one like this) To honor that, I have removed the text. SNIFTER... I see you got it. Good luck with the cache. Everybody else, hope you saw it while you could!!! (Done by Trisha ~ Lightning)

P*** ** ***** ***.

$$$$ $$$$?

R********?

??????????????

&&&&&?

M@@@@@?

^^^^^^?

########?

""""?

%%%%%%%%%?

>>>>>>>>?

???? ?? ::::: :::.

Sure hope this makes sense to you, it makes NO sense to us!! (It even makes less sense now!!)

Good luck and it you don't mind, could you email and let us know if you find the cache and what it was like? Thanks, we like to cache vicariously!! (ha ha)

Dan (WB6ALS) and Trisha (N7TMY)

Reno, Nevada and Prescott, Arizona

with help from Frank (K7SFN) (Reno)

(Southwest USA)

Cache ID: "Lightning1996YCJP"

email: wb6als@qsl.net

icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Lightning1996YCJP on March 25, 2002 at 09:51 PM.]

Just wanted to say 'hi' from a new member in the Northeastern Canada VO2WW icon_biggrin.gif

Gordon Parsons, Labrador

Just wanted to say 'hi' from a new member in the Northeastern Canada VO2WW icon_biggrin.gif

Gordon Parsons, Labrador

Hi, Lightning1996YCJP

Thanks very much for helping SNIFTER out with the morse code. When we set "Play it again, Sam" we hoped and envisaged that some cachers would ask for help from friendly hams. Part of our thinking was to widen the circle of geocaching friends in the Australian geocaching community.

However we had hoped that the decoded morse message would have remained in the private emails between the participants and not find their way onto the general public forums. The difficulty of this cache relies not only on the cryptic nature of the clues but also on the resourcefulness of the seekers in decoding the morse.

If possible could you please encrypt or remove the actual clear text message from your previous posting. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif as we really want to keep the 4.5 rating of this cache in place.

Thanks

The Odlids

Hi, Lightning1996YCJP

Thanks very much for helping SNIFTER out with the morse code. When we set "Play it again, Sam" we hoped and envisaged that some cachers would ask for help from friendly hams. Part of our thinking was to widen the circle of geocaching friends in the Australian geocaching community.

However we had hoped that the decoded morse message would have remained in the private emails between the participants and not find their way onto the general public forums. The difficulty of this cache relies not only on the cryptic nature of the clues but also on the resourcefulness of the seekers in decoding the morse.

If possible could you please encrypt or remove the actual clear text message from your previous posting. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif as we really want to keep the 4.5 rating of this cache in place.

Thanks

The Odlids

I monitor this one on occaison. Although I have never seen anyone from my area, I will toss this out and see.

KB5VNU icon_biggrin.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

I monitor this one on occaison. Although I have never seen anyone from my area, I will toss this out and see.

KB5VNU icon_biggrin.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

Thanks for all the help with the decoding. I will let you all know if we find the cache. I am going away for about a month so don't expect a reply before May. BTW I am going caching up in the Northern Territory.

Thanks again icon_smile.gificon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

Thanks for all the help with the decoding. I will let you all know if we find the cache. I am going away for about a month so don't expect a reply before May. BTW I am going caching up in the Northern Territory.

Thanks again icon_smile.gificon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

We will post as a group to save space.

The Batesville Area Radio Club hams are using the UserName BARC hams for our geocaching activities.

Geocachers include KC5EVZ, KD5ATO, KD5HPK, KD5ATN, KD5OZQ with more to follow.

We are currently scouting for good locations in our area (Northern Arkansas) to hide some new caches.

73 de the BARC hams icon_smile.gif

We will post as a group to save space.

The Batesville Area Radio Club hams are using the UserName BARC hams for our geocaching activities.

Geocachers include KC5EVZ, KD5ATO, KD5HPK, KD5ATN, KD5OZQ with more to follow.

We are currently scouting for good locations in our area (Northern Arkansas) to hide some new caches.

73 de the BARC hams icon_smile.gif

Thanks for keeping it going. Hope you're all having fun, now that we hams have our own forum section here.

I wonder why I no longer get notices of new postings to my original post? Hmm...

Anton - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY