[This message has been edited by Steak N Eggs (edited 20 December 2001).]

Guest s

Two of us here in WA

Gary - AB7S

Gail - KA7AXR

73's

Guest Midsar

N3MUO in lancaster, Pa

I use both the GPS and 2 meter in a Search and rescue group. You can call in clues or finds using the gps coordinates and the command center can send resource based on you location.

Jeff

Guest Weedhopper

AC4XS

A fellow ham got me into geocaching--what a

great combination of hobbies. Plus it gives me more options of things to listen to on those long walks.

A separate forum would be nice. Also, there are lots of little ham radio items that can be included in future caches if the interest is there.

Guest CoyoteQuick

quote:
Originally posted by Weedhopper:

Also, there are lots of little ham radio items that can be included in future caches if the interest is there.

I'm new to both, and find both HAM and Geocaching really interesting. What sort of "little ham radio items" do you mean? Like beacons, xmtrs, what?

Very interested,

Tim KD7OLL

Guest HiFlier
Originally posted by Seesthewind:

Mike Byrum

Crescent City, CA

<< Formerly K6VLF [about 1958 issue if memory serves). Why in the world would anybody let a call like that lapse? Why?? Why??? >>

Ditto, Mike. My old call was K2DOP in NY in '53.

<< When I started out in Ham Radio in the late fifties [in San Diego, CA), we called them "Rabbit" hunts and had them on 6 meters.>>

Likewise, I did many of these in NY with the old horizontal circular antenna mounted on the chevy bumper.

<< Ham radio and Geocaching fit together like an old 807 "bottle" in its socket.>>

Wow, did that stir up the memories!

Ed

KE6BN

Guest tgsnoopy

Zl1TAJ Here, Neill Ellis, Tauranga, New Zealand.

Guest Ed

Good idea.

KF6MVB

Ed

Yucca Mesa area in the high desert of Ca.

Guest Morseman

<< Formerly K6VLF [about 1958 issue if memory serves). Why in the world would anybody let a call like that lapse? Why?? Why??? >>

Well, in the UK, it might be to save the £15 ($10 approx) that you have to pay every year for the renewal fee, I suppose. I know that in the USA you don't have to pay every year. icon_smile.gif

I will probably keep mine current though, even though the requirement to resit the Morse test if you let the licence lapse for more than a year, has long gone.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

Well, in the UK, it might be to save the £15 ($10 approx) that you have to pay every year for the renewal fee, I suppose. I know that in the USA you don't have to pay every year. icon_smile.gif

I will probably keep mine current though, even though the requirement to resit the Morse test if you let the licence lapse for more than a year, has long gone.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest jndery

wb2six expired many years ago. Passed code at 15 wpm at the time. Is my call sign still available, seems I recall that it stayed with you even if the license lapsed. What will I have to do to relicense. And what would be a good basic ham unit to buy. I am economy minded. Thanks in advance.

Guest Mopar

my call sign still available, seems I recall that it stayed with you even if the license lapsed. What will I have to do to relicense. And what would be a good basic ham unit to buy. I am economy minded. Thanks in advance.

Just checked, it hasnt been reissued. What you need to do depends on how long you let it lapse. You might need to retest if its been too long.

As for a good unit, what type of operating/what bands are you interested in?

Guest Mopar

Is my call sign still available, seems I recall that it stayed with you even if the license lapsed. What will I have to do to relicense. And what would be a good basic ham unit to buy. I am economy minded. Thanks in advance.

Just checked, it hasnt been reissued. What you need to do depends on how long you let it lapse. You might need to retest if its been too long.

As for a good unit, what type of operating/what bands are you interested in?

Guest jonr22

WR5D, Denton, Texas

73, howie

Guest Anton

quote:
Originally posted by jndery:

...And what would be a good basic ham unit to buy. I am economy minded. Thanks in advance.

If you've been out of the game for awhile, get a new license -- the basic license is now Technician Class. You'll take 2 multiple choice tests for a total of 55 questions. Get 75 percent correct, and you're in.

As for a rig, I recommend a simple 2-meter FM transceiver, either a handheld or mobile unit. With that you can access local 2-meter repeaters, meet the local hams, join a club, and ease back into the hobby. Later, you can pick up an HF rig, upgrade to Tech-Plus or General Class, and chat around the globe.

One more thing... With a 2-meter rig you can also get into the IRLP system, which connects 2-meter repeaters through the Internet. See the link below:

IRLP - Internet Radio Linking Project

http://www.irlp.net/

Have fun!

Anton, N2RUD

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 04 January 2002).]

Guest Mopar

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

If you've been out of the game for awhile, get a new license -- the basic license is now Technician Class. You'll take 2 multiple choice tests for a total of 55 questions. Get 75 percent correct, and you're in.

As for a rig, I recommend a simple 2-meter FM transceiver, either a handheld or mobile unit. With that you can access local 2-meter repeaters, meet the local hams, join a club, and ease back into the hobby. Later, you can pick up an HF rig, upgrade to Tech-Plus or General Class, and chat around the globe.

If its been less then 2 yrs since since your old call expired, you can still renew it, no need to retest. There are only 3 classes now, Technician, General, and Extra. No more Novice or Advanced. No code needed for the Tech, and only 5wpm needed now for the General/Extra.

Guest nscaler

ke6vup.

Been a ham for 5 years. I got into RACES about three years ago (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Services) and into GPS from there. In an emergency, location (from GPS) could be given to authorities by ham radio. Helicopter pilot (Sheriff dept., Lifeflight) puts in coordinates and "follow the arrow" to the incident. I work with the San Diego "Off Road Enforcement Team" (ORET) in the local desert (Ocotillo Wells) and have given coordinantes for a lifeflight landing at night. The helicopter found the location and picked up the concussion patient. No landmarks in the desert(hardly).

So yes, Ham radio and Gps can work together. (GPS works REAL well at night in the desert when you get lost)

[This message has been edited by nscaler (edited 08 January 2002).]

Guest Bill S

DE: W4HMV, Las Vegas, NV

USA-CA #929

Been a ham since 1959 and a Geocacher for about 3 weeks! Just got an etrex Vista last week supplement my Garmin III. Used my GPS to put in county lines on various highways! Now have found 2 caches so far and hoping to find a lot more! Not into APRS yet.

XYL is N8UAE and she enjoys Geocaching more than hamming.

CUL & 73, Bill

Guest Hardy

Hello Everyone

DE AB0KR

Blackwell.M0

Guest k0fcc

Joey 'K0FCC' and Oksana 'KC0ELV' Stanford

http://stan4d.net

Owners of the "Off the Beaten Path (On Golden Ponds)" Cache in Longmont, CO, 80503

Guest Mario

Hi, I am a new radioamateur from Québec, Canada. My callsign is VA2VA. Last October, I discovered the wonderful hobby of geocaching by surfing on the Web page of another radioamateur, KD7GWL. I hope to start geocaching very soon. I still need to buy a GPS or find friends who have one. My first ham radio will be a portable Kenwood TH-D7AG with built-in TNC. I will take it with me on my geocaching excursions for APRS. 73's to all & happy geocaching!

Guest Wesley Horton

DE KD5RAL

Just got the ticket!

Regards,

Wesley Horton

Guest Geo Tom

Hi all. Just found out about GeoCaching today and can't wait for my first time out.

My call is N0MWY and I live in Colorado.

Tom

N0MWY

Guest Level_1

KG6GIY

Sean in Central CA. Just found out about and started geocaching this weekend. Three "finds" and I am hooked. I'm encouraging my 14 year daughter to get her tech ticket. I'm taking both my kids with me on the next search. They like the idea.

Guest Steak N Eggs

My 8yr old was working on his code. I didn't push him enough, that is keep his interest in it, but he did learn most of the alphabet. He does want to get his

license so dad is going to have to work with him. He is a very bright boy and I think he can do it. Your 14yr old should have no problem and tell her good luck from us.

quote:
Originally posted by Level_1:

KG6GIY

I'm encouraging my 14 year daughter to get her tech ticket.

------------------

"MY gps said it's RIGHT HERE!"

http://www.geogadgets.com

Guest jduffy

Duffy - WB8NUT in Cincinnati. 2/3/02 just found our first cache today.

Guest Firefishe

Stephen - N8PZT - Traverse City, Michigan

Essentially "letterboxed" (sans GPS) my first geocache today--1/2 of it, anyway...it got dark and I couldn't search for the other one--GPSMap 76 in my immediate future.

A Ham since 1991, now renewed, my main outdoor thrusts are moutain biking, backpacking, hiking, map and compass work, ham radio-combined-with-weather-observing (SKYWARN), and now, *GEOCACHING* ! I wish this had been around a long time ago! It's a blast!

73 de N8PZT

Stephen (Firefishe)

------------------

Firefishe,

<*[[[[><

Guest Skybox7

KF9TF

Tony

Green Bay, WI

Been a ham for 10 years.....geocacher for 1 week. So many gadgets.....so little time!

Guest Mario

Hello from Québec City. I am a new amateur radio operator and I just can't wait to buy my first GPS and start geocaching!! It looks so exciting! I also will use the GPS with my TH-D7 for sending APRS data.

Bonjour de Québec. Je suis un nouveau radio amateur et j'ai bien hâte d'avoir un GPS pour participer à la géocache. J'utiliserai également le GPS pour envoyer des balises APRS.

Guest Mario

My callsign is VA2VA. Happy geocaching!

Guest Gigger

Hi,

I am just getting started. Will be a newbie for a while. However, wanted to reply to let you know that WB9ZHC was here!

Ginger

Guest CacheOut

73's from Danville, West Virginia !!

Tim Hager

KC8OJR

Long live Heathkit!!

Guest K1CGZ

1961; geocacher since 2001. XYL & I learned about geocaching through QSOs on ham radio with K1IU & KE1LB, both of whom are 'cachers. Hams interested in outdoor stuff might also check out Adventure Radio Society. Take QRP radios afield.

I know at least three other couples that have purchased GPS rcvrs and take to Geocaching as a result of learning about the sport on the air. It is a great subject for conversation on the air as well as on internet BBS.

So far all we've done is hunt for caches. This Spring & Summer we hope to hide a few ourselves. We have a few spots in mind.

73 de K1CGZ - Paul, FN53DX dit dit

Guest K1CGZ

ce 1961; geocacher since 2001. XYL & I learned about geocaching through QSOs on ham radio with K1IU & KE1LB, both of whom are 'cachers. Hams interested in outdoor stuff might also check out Adventure Radio Society. Take QRP radios afield.

I know at least three other couples that have purchased GPS rcvrs and take to Geocaching as a result of learning about the sport on the air. It is a great subject for conversation on the air as well as on internet BBS.

So far all we've done is hunt for caches. This Spring & Summer we hope to hide a few ourselves. We have a few spots in mind.

Guest Steak N Eggs

quote:
Originally posted by K1CGZ:

I've been a ham since 1961; geocacher since 2001. XYL & I learned about geocaching through QSOs on ham radio with K1IU & KE1LB, both of whom are 'cachers. Hams interested in outdoor stuff might also check out Adventure Radio Society. Take QRP radios afield.

I am interested in what freq's that you frequent?

Eric

KF6VFH

(5wpm Extra. But givin time that should change)

------------------

"MY gps said it's RIGHT HERE!"

http://www.geogadgets.com

Guest urbo

urbo here! KE4MCL, miami fl.

been a ham since about 1994. i've been involved with volunteer search and rescue teams since about that time. quite a few of the "active" hams i know are also into the geocaching thing. we have found geocaching to be a fun way to work on your orienteering skills and to get to know the quirks of your gps unit. i have a few urban caches around town. an added plus to this sport is that most hams are packrats so we have plenty of goodies to stuff in geocaches!

73 all

ke4mcl

robert cruz

everglades dcat

[This message has been edited by urbo (edited 18 February 2002).]

Guest K1CGZ

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

I am interested in what freq's that you frequent?

Eric

KF6VFH

(5wpm Extra. But givin time that should change)

Eric (and others),

M-F commuting to/from saltmine I'm on the 145.49 repeater in Washington, ME. On Tuesday evenings at 6:30 -7PM I have a sked on 7.020. Other than that its whenever I have the time. My favorite bands are 20 & 40 M CW, often near the FISTS Club frequencies, but I can operate on all HF bands: CW, PSK-31, and sometimes SSB.

CU on the radio, 73,

Paul K1CGZ

Guest K1CGZ

quote:
Originally posted by YaesuMan:

Who want's to meet on HF?

Suggest a time, freq., and mode.

CU on the radio. 73

Guest kc8eqa

quote:
Originally posted by Geoman:

My callsign is PE1CAJ

I am using the new Vista (great GPS) in combination with the Kenwood TH-D7/D700.

How did you hook the Vista up to the D7/D700? I have the basic Etrex and can't get the daggone thing to work correctly.

Once I get the GPS hooked to the radio, I'll start geocashing. already sounds like fun.

Any help would be useful.

Josh

KC8EQA

EN80KA

kc8eqa@columbus.rr.com

[This message has been edited by kc8eqa (edited 21 February 2002).]

Guest Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by kc8eqa:

How did you hook the Vista up to the D7/D700? I have the basic Etrex and can't get the daggone thing to work correctly.

[This message has been edited by kc8eqa (edited 21 February 2002).]

Here's a couple of thoughts for you, hope that one of them works...

Have you set the GPS to output NMEA sentences? Yo need to go into the options menu to do this on most GPS units. They tend to be set up to default to the manufacturer's own system/program standard, and not NMEA.

Is the baud rate between the GPS and the radio correct? On my Garmin it defaults to 4800 baud between GPS and PC/rig and you may need to make sure both bits of kit are set to the same rate.

Can you find someone who has a working APRS set up using a similar GPS/radio combination and see if you can set yours up the same way, or see if connecting your GPS to their system works and then copy that set up in your system?

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest YaesuMan

ze="2">Originally posted by K1CGZ:

Suggest a time, freq., and mode.

CU on the radio. 73

well... what does everybody have?

------------------

I do radio.

Anything that is radio.

Yes, GPS is radio.