Sign in to follow this  
Followers 26
Guest Anton

Any Ham Radio Operators Here?

Guest Kimrobin

Have to admit that I haven't paid my licence up for about ten years now.

But my call G1ANT is a pretty good one.

Alex

(also known as The Big Man - get it??)

[This message has been edited by Kimrobin (edited 11 October 2001).]

Guest skeeter

KA0EGL (originally ticketed in Iowa during high school days)

Rockwall, TX

Guest W7WT

Been a ham for over 50 years. Picture of me at my station on qrz.com and then type in W7WT. Have had GPSs for several years. Actually heard about Geocaching from Matt the webmaster for mavican.nu, a Sony camera

forum. I am sure many of you are also interested in flying, digital cameras, flyfishing etc. I am 76 years old and the old body pays for some of my Geocaching. 73

Dick

Guest rogerswin

WA6MZX

Roger

Whenever I go geocaching, fishing or hunting, I always carry my gps, cell phone, and 2/6 meter handheld.

(Sold the VHF rig, now carry the Yaesu FT-817).

[This message has been edited by rogerswin (edited 01 February 2002).]

Guest JerryB

KF6DNJ

Torrance, California

On the way to look for the Mt Lowe cache I discovered that the printout was missing and there's no cellular service on top of Mt. Wilson. No prob, called friends dad on PV repeater, who called us at the pay phone nearby and he got us the info. It's amazing how far a few watts will take you with line of site.

Jerry.

Guest N6RZR

N6RZR / Brian

KE6VFQ / Debbie

Anderson,CA

Hello fellow operators, APRS'ers and

Geocachers.

We never leave home Geocaching without

our 2m/70cm handheld, digital camera, and

of course our trusty Garmin GPSII+.

Which by the way was originally purchased

for APRS use several years ago.

Guest RedwoodRed

KF6VFI :: RedwoodRed aka: Lori

KF6VFH :: Steak'n'Eggs aka: Eric

We live in extreme coastal Northern California, near Seesthewind, though we didn't know about each other until day before yesterday!

We are hoping to get some of our Amateur Radio club members involved in this sport/hobby... especially since most hams are gadget-happy (don't try and deny it! icon_biggrin.gif)

73's from Crescent City!

------------------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

http://www.queenofheartscastle.com/home.htm

http://www.beautywithattitude.com

http://www.w6hy.org

Guest RedwoodRed

KF6VFI :: RedwoodRed aka: Lori

KF6VFH :: Steak'n'Eggs aka: Eric

We live in extreme coastal Northern California, near Seesthewind, though we didn't know about each other until day before yesterday!

We are hoping to get some of our Amateur Radio club members involved in this sport/hobby... especially since most hams are gadget-happy (don't try and deny it! icon_biggrin.gif)

73's from Crescent City!

------------------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

http://www.queenofheartscastle.com/home.htm

http://www.beautywithattitude.com

http://www.w6hy.org

Guest tedoca

N3YKX here, Silver Spring, Maryland.

Terence

Guest martinp13

There are sites out there that give a "practice" test for the various licenses... I took the Technician's test, and nearly passed! Now, I'm a software guy, with no radio experience at all. Most of my "hardware experience" has been installing my TiVo and upgrading my Magellan 330. icon_smile.gif I took the bare minimum of physics courses in college, and that was 20 years ago.

I DO play along with Jeopardy a lot, tho. icon_smile.gif

Is that really all there is to it? Pass an official version of a multi-guess test like that?

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest martinp13

There are sites out there that give a "practice" test for the various licenses... I took the Technician's test, and nearly passed! Now, I'm a software guy, with no radio experience at all. Most of my "hardware experience" has been installing my TiVo and upgrading my Magellan 330. icon_smile.gif I took the bare minimum of physics courses in college, and that was 20 years ago.

I DO play along with Jeopardy a lot, tho. icon_smile.gif

Is that really all there is to it? Pass an official version of a multi-guess test like that?

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest K9FIK

K9FIK here, from Jefferson City, Tennessee. I have loved hidden transmitter hunts since High School (35 years ago). Love these hunts too. Less competitive, don't you think?

------------------

K9FIK

Guest Mopar

quote:
Originally posted by martinp13:

Yes, that REALLY is all there is to it now. When I got my ticket, you HAD to have at least 5 Words Per Minute morse code for even an entry level license. Now, you can get a pretty good taste for it without knowing code. They recognized that:

A)Code really isnt that popular on the higher freqencies (voice and digital make up probably 98% or more).

B)Those say higher frewuencies FOR THE MOST PART are limited to line of sight local communications(although unter the right conditions, you can get 1000's of miles) , so they really dont fall under international laws that require code. and perhaps the biggest reason:

C)The recognized that the same people who used to like to tinker and take the time to learn morse code where now learning things like HTML and C++ instead. Ham radio was pretty much slowly dying. There were alot of new technologies that would love to get hold of some of those prime radio bands set aside for hams. It came down to a case of "use it or lose it". So they relaxed the code requirements to bring more people into the hobby.

Guest TTracker

Allen McMaster

N8WDJ

Sterling Hts., MI

Guest Fotogg

Martinp13,

Yes there are sites where you can take practice tests. Go to www.qrz.com and scroll down on the left to "General Services" and click on practice test.

Also for a good morse code practice program go to http://c2.com/~ward/morse/morse.html

and you can download a free code practice program for your pc.

I used both of these to get my ticket, and still mess around with the code practice program from time to time.

Hope this helps,

Steve N5MSY

Guest TresOkies

I have my grandfather's tube equipment. He was one of those pioneers who built his own equipment from sketches he made and found in science magazines in the 30's. I remember getting up at 5 a.m. to go out to the "ham shack" before he went to work. All his grandchildren called him "Didaw" ("dit" and "daw" were the language he spoke).

I learned to code on a practice set as a child, but I never took the license exam. Now that my grandfather is gone, I wonder if I can inherit his call sign. I understand that the FCC grants vanity signs, can that also include a legacy sign?

-E

grandson of K5HDP

------------------

--

35°32.981 98°34.631

Guest Mopar

d call is not being used, so I don't think it would be a problem. Might want to brush up on the code too. It's alot like riding a bike, you never REALLY forget it. 5WPM is all you need to know now for the higher grade tickets.

N2GZG

Guest Mopar

old call is not being used, so I don't think it would be a problem. Might want to brush up on the code too. It's alot like riding a bike, you never REALLY forget it. 5WPM is all you need to know now for the higher grade tickets.

N2GZG

Guest ncstate1

N9UDH

Cacheing w/GPS and 2M/440....

73's

Dave

Guest kd5knr

As the UserName shows... KD5KNR.

APRS with a D700 and a GPS III+, Geocaching with a D7 and a Vista. APRS running in the vehicle in lieu of setting the waypoint for your parking spot. Usually have a status message indicating "Out GeoCaching".

------------------

Regards,

Billy Mason, KD5KNR

Bedford, Texas EM12kt

IPN - DFW247

[This message has been edited by kd5knr (edited 24 November 2001).]

Guest mgp5000

KD6ODB

San Francisco, CA

Haven't been on the air in a long time, but I grew up around ham radios and antennas. In fact, I think it's about time to renew my license. Just got into geocaching.

Guest camp637

I am a ham operator also (kb9rgu) that has just recently gotten into this sport. My wife has also gotten into Geocaaching with me, but she is not a ham-oh well. I have gotten a couple of the guys in my radio club interested, but as of yet, they haven't taken the plunge into Geocaching. One of the guys, just happens to work for Motorola at the headquarters in Schaumburg,Illinois, and thought that after my describing what this is all about, thought that maybe we(hams) could combine a Geocache hunt with a foxhunt. Seemed like a great idea, then I saw the logs today in this thread, and apparently,that too has been thought of. Now here's a new thought-I am going on a cruise in December, and maye a geocache hunt could take place on a big cruise ship some day-especially if there are hams aboard. What do you think?

Guest Mopar

quote:
Originally posted by camp637:

Now here's a new thought-I am going on a cruise in December, and maye a geocache hunt could take place on a big cruise ship some day-especially if there are hams aboard. What do you think?

That too was discussed in a thread here somewhere. Problem is, the ship is moving, so the coordinates are constantly changing as well.

Guest gdeas

Call sign is NX0P in Omaha. Not very active on the radio these days due to the work load. But it figures does'nt it that we are gadget people!

Guest flyfisher

Yep, one more ham

Vry 73s de WS8G icon_biggrin.gif

Guest flyfisher

Yep, one more ham

Vry 73s de WS8G icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Digiital

Add another one to the bucket. I think I'm the only VE3 to add my call to the list.

VE3TOS

Brampton, Ontario

Guest popwireless

GPS is a popular wireless gadget that is very useful to the Ham. I have always used mine when radio direction finding. After creating a message area at my magazine for GPS I discovered the Geocaching site and their BBS. I can work on my GPS skills by doing Geocaching.

This wireless hobby can bring an entire family together for a healthy walking or hiking activity.

WA6GON

------------------

Doug Smith

Editor

Popular Wireless Magazines

Guest AV8NDAD

One more for the round table: KF6UMY here.

--- 73s de KF6UMY

David

Sunny Southern California

Guest Ruth

Another Ham-geocacher. K8SB Trenton, Michigan. I am thinking about taking my portable HF rig to some convergences between Long. and Lat. such as 45 degrees lat. and 85 degrees long. and issue special certificate or QSL cards for contacts from that location. The GPSR would be used to locate the exact spot. I could also leave a cache at that location. How does that sound?

Guest Just a Short Walk

.-- .- -.... .--- -. -- / -....- / -.. --- -. / -.-- --- ..- -. -.- . .-. / .- -.- .- ---... / -.--.- .--- ..- ... - / .- / ... .... --- .-. - / .-- .- .-.. -.- -.--.- / -- --- -. - . .-. . -.-- --..-- / -.-. .- .-.. .. ..-. --- .-. -. .. .- / ..-. --- .-. -- . .-. / -.-. .- .-.. .-.. ... ---... / -. ..--- -.. -- . --..-- .-- -. -.... -... -.- --.-

Guest Ani

How about 2 for the price of one? Gil is VE6GIL and Ani is KB0QME (Quit Makin' Excuses). We use a Garmin E-Trex Summit for Geocaching and Volksmarching. Some of the Volksmarchers are also hams who use simplex while hiking. We've been in Colorado Springs since 1995 but just discovered geocaching. Way back in the late 70's I did a lot of 2m foxhunting in Ft. Collins as KB0ZI and WB0WWQ before that. Geocaching reminds me of foxhunting in a roundabout way.

Cheers!

------------------

...Gil&Ani

VE6GIL & KB0QME

Colorado Springs, CO

Guest ESFKids

Geocaching and Ham Radio... What a great way to enjoy technology and the outdoors! As a SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry Student it doesn?t get much better then this!

Andrew

Environmental Resource and Forest Engineering

KC2HUX

Guest TxHiPowr

KD5BLR here. I got my license mainly for radio direction finding of wayward high powered model rockets. They can drift quite a ways laterally from the launchsite if flown high enough on a windy day. I'm currently building an APRS package for the larger rockets so that they will transmit GPS coordinates back to me for display on a moving map program like TopoUSA or Street Atlas on my laptop.

Lou Catozzi

TxHiPowr@BigFoot.Com

Guest gbc

Gil

HK3JHT

Bogota, Colombia

WGS84 N4 37 28.9 W74 06 05.9

ICQ 2401099

[This message has been edited by gbc (edited 13 December 2001).]

Guest bgeipel

Hello all,

My family and I are new to Geocaching. My call sign is AD6HR and my wife is W6PBJ. I mainly do low power CW.

73 es CUL

[This message has been edited by bgeipel (edited 13 December 2001).]

Guest Morseman

Hello bgeipel,

Another QRPer, eh?

de Dave (G0DJA)

AKA Morseman

GQRP No. 3247

ARS No. 147

FISTS No. 1372

Zombie No. 187

SOC No. 163

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest KD7NHN

hello geo-hams!

glad to join you all,

-Jacob

Mapleton,Utah

KD7NHN

Guest George Wishart

Hello from the sunny Pacific Northwest!!

George

WB7RQT

Edmonds Washington

Ham since 1978

Guest Darrell C

Howdy, from central California!!

Darrell Cramphorn

N6EMS

And proxy for my wife:

Ann Cramphorn

K1SAR