Jump to content

Any Ham Radio Operators Here?


Guest Anton
Followers 26

Recommended Posts

WH7N in Aiea, Hawaii... love to hike and take my HT along on the trails. Just got started Geocaching have a Garmin 12 I bout several years ago and it works FB. Have software package called Fugawi and loaded all the Hawaii DRG topos into it and now can plot my routes and waypoints in advance, and print the maps.

 

Give a holler for WH7N on the KH6JPL repeater echolink node #26488 sometime!!

Link to comment

Relatively new to Amateur Radio (2 years) and still new to Geocaching (6 months).

 

Currently use Yaesu FT-51R (VHF/UHF HT) and FT-10R (VHF HT) and a Garmin eMap. Hope to get a portable APRS station going soon. All I need is a TNC.

 

- Patrick Wong VE7DPT

Vancouver, BC, Canada

 

_____________________________________________________________________

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

Link to comment

OK Gang...I see 11 pages of

quote:
HAMS
on these pages now. I only operate
quote:
portable
on 40 meters but would like to chat with a few other cachers. icon_smile.gif

 

With 10 watts, I can work most of the East coast and West... as far as Iowa at night. Anyone want to to set up a schedule? Especially here on the East coast? I live in an apartment complex and can only transmit when the weather is good but I think it would be a great NET on the HF bands.

Link to comment

I've been a HAM for about 10 years now... but haven't powered up my station in 2 years (Kenwood 642 - 2m/220/70cm).

 

Adam P.

 

----

Chivalry:

A couple of medieval songwriters come up with the idea of chivalry one rainy day... and you embrace it as a lifestyle. You live and die by a code of honor that was trendy when you were a kid.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Acuracura:

Relatively new to Amateur Radio (2 years) and still new to Geocaching (6 months).

 

Currently use Yaesu FT-51R (VHF/UHF HT) and FT-10R (VHF HT) and a Garmin eMap. Hope to get a portable APRS station going soon. All I need is a TNC.

 

- Patrick Wong VE7DPT

Vancouver, BC, Canada


 

Hey, Patrick ... check out the info for using you computer's sound card as a TNC located at http://www.qsl.net/soundcardpacket/ ... all you need is the cables to interface from your soundcard to your radio and you're all set! Works really well if you also have a laptop. If not, well, start saving up for one. =)

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Undrhil:

quote:
Originally posted by Acuracura:

Hope to get a portable APRS station going soon. All I need is a TNC.

 

- Patrick Wong VE7DPT

Vancouver, BC, Canada


 

Hey, Patrick ... check out the info for using you computer's sound card as a TNC


 

Depending on the needs, you'd be better off with a TinyTrac 3. Note that this is a "transmit only" solution, but great for "marking" an object you wish to track.

 

Depending on the location and needs, you may not need a receiving station - just connect to an internet tracking site.So your family can watch you case caches on their home computer.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Undrhil:

Hey, Patrick ... check out the info for using you computer's sound card as a TNC located at http://www.qsl.net/soundcardpacket/ ... all you need is the cables to interface from your soundcard to your radio and you're all set! Works really well if you also have a laptop. If not, well, start saving up for one. =)


 

Wow, thank you for the information! I'll definitely give this a try untill I get a real TNC. Thanks.

 

_____________________________________________________________________

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by GeckoGeek:

Depending on the location and needs, you may not need a receiving station - just connect to an internet tracking site.So your family can watch you case caches on their home computer.


 

I was hoping to have a portable APRS tracking station using my GPS, TT3, and 2m HT. That was the original plan but I ran out of money after the HT and GPS. The TinyTrac3 is great because its small and I only need transmit only for my purposes. Thanks for the information.

 

_____________________________________________________________________

Please visit the Ham Radio Forums at www.ham-radio.ca. Thank you.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Lamble:

I know nothing about Ham radio, and not much more about GPS, but could you tell this novice how Ham radio and GPS mesh? I thought Ham operators were folks who sat at their sets in their basements all night long talking to people in Borneo and such. GPS is an outdoor thing. So I'm not making the connection. Could someone enlighten me?


I have been a Ham Radio operator for over forty years and just got into

GPS about 5 months ago. as far as I am concerned

it is just another form of fun. icon_smile.gif I am in the process of installing a cache.. my amateur radio

call is WA4GSO. Sparky1928

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Sparky1928:

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Lamble:

I know nothing about Ham radio, and not much more about GPS, but could you tell this novice how Ham radio and GPS mesh? I thought Ham operators were folks who sat at their sets in their basements all night long talking to people in Borneo and such. GPS is an outdoor thing. So I'm not making the connection. Could someone enlighten me?


I have been a Ham Radio operator for over forty years and just got into

GPS about 5 months ago. as far as I am concerned

it is just another form of fun. icon_smile.gif I am in the process of installing a cache.. my amateur radio

call is WA4GSO. Sparky1928


 

Actually GPS and Ham Radio are two very compatible hobbies. One of the most significant purposes of Ham Radio is to provide emergency communications during crisis. The recent power outages in the northeast are a good example. Mobile telephones most often did not work during this crisis, so amateur radio operators were able to step in and help out in many instances. This is true in almost all emergency situations, from hurricanes, to 09/11. For more infor visit the ARRL

 

AB4N (my Ham Call Sign & Geo name)

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

Greetings,

 

I'm a ham radio operator with callsign N2RUD. If you're a ham please send a reply, and we'll end up with a list of hams using this site. Perhaps the site administrator will give us a separate forum, called "GPS & Ham Radio". If you like that idea, say so!

 

Please leave your name and callsign.

 

Anton

 

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

 

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-10-2001).]

 

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-12-2001).]


Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 26
×
×
  • Create New...