Sign in to follow this  
Followers 21
Guest Anton

Any Ham Radio Operators Here?

3011 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I'm a ham radio operator with callsign N2RUD. If you're a ham please send a reply, and we'll end up with a list of hams using this site. Perhaps the site administrator will give us a separate forum, called "GPS & Ham Radio". If you like that idea, say so!

Please leave your name and callsign.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-12-2001).]

N5TPQ

Arlington, TX

(Paul Opitz)

KC5UGQ

Frederick, Maryland

(a '5' call because I got my ticket while living in Dallas, TX)

The first cache I found had been visited previously by a team of three hams in the Baltimore-DC area. Don't recall their calls, tho.

73!

-- Seamus

KB6PNT, Dave

Extreme N. California

Rick

WØYGH

Belton, Missouri

N1NIQ

FN31hj (Connecticut)

Chris

VE5DTO (Saskatchewan, Canada)

Creator of 'Sask-cache-one', Saskatchewan's first (and so far only) geocache.

KC7SXN

Kyle in Canfield, OH

------------------

I know nothing about Ham radio, and not much more about GPS, but could you tell this novice how Ham radio and GPS mesh? I thought Ham operators were folks who sat at their sets in their basements all night long talking to people in Borneo and such. GPS is an outdoor thing. So I'm not making the connection. Could someone enlighten me?

Paul. Check out this site for starters: www.aprs.net

APRS stands for Automatic Postion Reporting System

he possible FCC exam questions AND the answers. Really.

Doesn't get much easier than that!

One more thing... When you're out on a GPS stash hunt, you can use your ham radio to keep in touch with other ham-cachers. If you all have APRS, you'll also know exactly where everyone is located. Cool, eh? Eh!

Go here for information:

Amateur Radio Relay League

http://www.arrl.org

Hope this helps.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-13-2001).]

To: N2RUD

I only just learned of "Geo-caching" today, on NPR. I immediately thought of that most challenging of Ham-radio activities--the FOX-HUNT.

I wonder if anyone has tried combining a cache search with radio fox-hunting. (I wonder if the general Geo-cache community is even aware of radio fox-hunting?).

For example, you might set up a 902 to 928 Mhz beacon in a tree somewhere, with a solar power-set, and then put the frequency in the log-book of the geo-cache--that way, you only win the big prize when you find the transmitter! The geo-cache might be a mile or more away from the transmitter.

Note that fox-hunting can be performed by non-hams-they need only have a "scanner" to participate!

Another thought--it seems to me that it would be even more challenging to go after the cache without the assistance of the GPS. Has anyone tried creating this type of sub-group?

------------------

Another thought--it seems to me that it would be even more challenging to go after the cache without the assistance of the GPS. Has anyone tried creating this type of sub-group? [/b]

-----

Yes Bill,

Take the GPS out of the picture, add rubberstamps, grab your compass, and you have another, older activity called Letterboxing. Letterboxers focus on map and compass skills, creating clever clues, and making/using rubberstamps.

Go here for information:

Letterboxing North America

http://www.letterboxing.org

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Or, get rid of the rubberstamps and you have Orienteering.

But, going back to the Fox Hunt - I assume that you are using APRS to find the transmitter, but is there a way to triangulate on the beam itself and locate the source? In other words, is there another gadget that can find the transmitter other than a GPS device?

Right...orienteering, aka primitive geocaching in a big hurry. Why run, when you can walk? Running is bad for your knees!

You assume a bit too much. I'm not aware of anyone using APRS for foxhunts. Not being fully informed on either APRS or foxhunting, I can't say much more than that. Perhaps another ham here will jump in with more information. Or, you can contact the ARRL for help with that - they know everything.

ARRL

http://www.arrl.org

The usual foxhunt practice is to build a highly directional antenna contraption, and connect it to a radio, most often a 2-meter FM handheld 2-meter transceiver. There are some kits for this on the market. Not sure if there's anything you can buy off the shelf. The foxhunters in my ham club build their own, or use commercial kits.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

A little late ... KD4DCY (Atlanta, GA)

Anyone going to Dayton?

------------------

Originally posted by emrldjetta:

Anyone going to Dayton?

Too far for me, but I like the Rochester, NY Hamfest in late May.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Combination GPS & VHF-Ham Antenna

See page 39 of the April 2001 issue of QST magazine: Antennex GPSDVHF mobile antenna.

Antennex - products & newsletter

http://www.antennex.com

I went to the website listed, but I couldn't find this model - maybe it's too new. Let me know if you find it!

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Even later!!

G0TRT

Suffolk UK

Here is another HAM

KA3UQQ General Class

Baltimore, MD

------------------

Will

Now where the hell am I?

ally use a GPS with a ham radio for the APRS thing? I was trying to figure out if APRS was anything more than being able to see where radios are located on a map, as they are transmitting. If you are familiar with this setup, let's here more about it. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Someone please enlighten me.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

CQCQCQ!

Hey guys, let's keep this ham radio thread alive! There must be something on your mind about GPS and ham radio, so let's hear it.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:
Originally posted by emrldjetta:

Anyone going to Dayton?

Too far for me, but I like the Rochester, NY Hamfest in late May.

Anton

Anton...When you come to Rochester this year bring your GPS. I have some caches waiting for you! icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Rochester Hamfest June 1st-3rd, 2001

http://www.rochesterhamfest.org/

After you take a look at the hamfest site, let's talk. I'm thinking you might consider setting up a "Geocaching Rochester" table:

- copies of your newspaper article

- sample geocache (ammobox, camera, etc.)

- your new Garmin eTrex Vista

- poster board w/ Geocaching.com webpages

- copies of the "Geocaching Info" sheet

Remember, the guys at a hamfest are gadget nuts. They love radios, and a GPS is a radio. Hamfests have grown to include computer equipment, and the Rochester Hamfest is now a hamfest that's about half computer stuff. You couldn't ask for a better audience to promote geocaching.

For example, the orienteering crowd likes maps and running around in the woods, but they don't necessarily like any gadgets beyond an orieteering compass. Lots of hams are also outdoorsmen who like to hunt, fish, camp and hike. It's a match!

There's also a hamfest in Cortland later in June on Father's Day weekend - my excuse to take off for the morning. Check it out. Maybe we can team up for geocaching table.

Cortland Hamfest - Saturday, June 14th

http://people.clarityconnect.com/webpages/backroyd/hamfest.htm

FYI, don't forget to pick up the FCC exam studyguide at Radio Shack, and get your ham license this year! Rochester is the Mecca of ham radio in NYS. There are about four ham clubs in Rochester. If you become a ham, you'll make lots of new friends, and many of them will like hearing about geocaching. You'll also enjoy talking on your ham radio when you drive around for your business: getting directions, getting info about restaurants, getting help with a breakdown, and visiting new friends along the way.

Bye for now...

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 04-07-2001).]

I'm into portable communications (i.e., battery-powered HF while camping and hunting). I currently use an SGC-2020 rig and a G5RV. I haven't made the link between GPS and Ham radio, other than I use them both on my outings. 73

N5XBS

Dave

Plano, TX

My callsign is PE1CAJ

I am using the new Vista (great GPS) in combination with the Kenwood TH-D7/D700.

At this moment Geocaching is not very populair over here, but with the help of the special Geocaching site in Dutch, we hope to give it a push.

73 from the Netherlands !

Call here is N3FWE

I'm from York, Pa area.

Just got into APRS with a Kenwood TM-D700.

So anything with GPS or mapping interests me.

Plan to do the Chickie's rock Geocache location very soon.

Any other Hams in the York Area into Geocaching?

Steve

AC4LT, Linda in Reston, VA

Sorry to busting into the hamhead corner, but if anyone knows the answer to my question you guys would. Comparing the patch antennas to the quad helix antenna in the Garmin 76, a patch mostly "looks up" where a quad... sees the horizon better. Will the quad "look up" for a signal through the trees as well as a patch. If so the 76 is what I'm after. Sorry for interrupting all those numbers and letters.

's probably cheaper to manufacture.

With the MAP 76, Garmin has made some new design choices by giving us a flat, compact case (the II & III are prisms) that contains a quadrifilar antenna. It's a "why-didn't-we-do-this-before?" kind of innovation, like when they decided to put the guts of a III-series GPS into a new 12-series model called the GPS-12MAP a couple years back - a great design idea that everyone but Garmin seemed to have figured out. If they hadn't already sold so many III's, the 12MAP would have conquered the market from the start. Of course, the 12MAP doesn't have the better antenna - a significant flaw. With the MAP76, Garmin has almost done it all right. When they add more memory capacity, it will become a big brother to the Vista.

If we can get them to put in an external antenna jack, we'll really be cookin' with gas. There's nothin' a ham likes better than a big antenna, doncha know! The MAP76 will still have the larger screen - much better for us blind old ham blues singers.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 02 June 2001).]

No, actually I did believe you. That is why I followed you here. I just wasn't clear on the part about exposure to signals directly above. I have a lot of woods around, but canoe and kayak as well. Thanks! your knowledge on the topic was very helpful! I have a 45XL, have a 12, will probably go for a 76.

[This message has been edited by EraSeek (edited 03 June 2001).]

Jim Guffey

KC4WHS

KC0GBY at your service... I've had my license for about 2 years now... and I've never broadcast with it!!!

To quote Kevin Spacey from American Beauty...

"I RULE..."

KD7JJY/AE

I'm with N3LPX. It could be kind'a fun to have a multiple cache with one serving as a staging point, and the other serving as the fox. Shouldn't be to difficult to build a solar QRP TX.

Well, one more project to keep me in (or out of) the shack. hihi!

73's

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Lamble:

I know nothing about Ham radio, and not much more about GPS, but could you tell this novice how Ham radio and GPS mesh? I thought Ham operators were folks who sat at their sets in their basements all night long talking to people in Borneo and such. GPS is an outdoor thing. So I'm not making the connection. Could someone enlighten me?

Paul --

You're partly right. The HF Hams sit around with their 'long distance' rigs, doing the "Borneo thing", but we VHF/UHF Hams get out and get our exercise.

That's where we meet with the GPS urge.

www.sloecc.org/ham-gps.html

Look our site over and you will begin to follow our electronic urges. And, there is APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) wherein the GPS unit is coupled with a VHF/UHF transceiver and a laptop computer in order to allow fixed base operators to track the mobile unit. This APRS method has been used succesfully in monitoring emergency units in fires and other emergencies.

There are many areas that Ham Radio and GPS receivers come together, worldwide.

Give it a good look.

------------------

Bob -- KB6RG

on California's

Central Coast

N35°07.240' W120°37.300'

quote:

CQCQCQ!

Hey guys, let's keep this ham radio thread alive! There must be something on your mind about GPS and ham radio, so let's hear it.

Anton

OK Anton Check out my answer to Paul, up above this reply. And, check out our site, the SLOECC group does some things that combine GPS and Ham Radio -- mostly in the VHF/UHF realms. There are links at the bottom of the HAM-GPS page that will take you to other areas of our California Central Coast Ham Information site.

------------------

Bob -- KB6RG

on California's

Central Coast

N35°07.240' W120°37.300'

quote:
Originally posted by N7SLC:

Dan Dialogue

N7SLC

Neat Callsign for a Salt Lake City denizen, Dan. I'll bet you jumped in there early on the Vanity program. The best I could do was get my wife's maiden name initials (KB) and followed by my own (RG).

------------------

Bob -- KB6RG

on California's

Central Coast

N35°07.240' W120°37.300'

NP2BB

This looks like a fun pastime. I'm headed out for my first search tomorrow morning with my Magellan 315 and 10 year old daughter. My ham call is from the Virgin Islands.

------------------

NP2BB

canoeguy@backpacker.com

kb6hnh

Richmond, CA

KC8IEW, in extreme western Maryland (as far away from the DC beltline as you can get and still be in Maryland!)

------------------

===

tucker's trio

Hi! Anton, My callsign is: W2CTM. I got my gps receiver about 2 weeks ago. It was a Garmin legend.Last weekend I got the combo serial&cig lightercord for it. Much to my surprise,it would not work.Turns out the lengend was defective.Waiting for replacement unit in the mail. 73 Charlie

Mike Byrum

Crescent City, CA

"Where The Redwoods Meet The Sea"

N6DQX

Formerly K6VLF (about 1958 issue if memory serves). Why in the world would anybody let a call like that lapse? Why?? Why??? (Probably could've gotten it back - never tried.)

Got my Garmin III Plus a couple of years ago. Just got into Geocaching within the last month or two. Although we're in the (early) senior citizen category, the XYL and I love Geocaching (and so do our dogs).

I've seen the earlier posts in this thread which mentioned Fox Hunts. When I started out in Ham Radio in the late fifties (in San Diego, CA), we called them "Rabbit" hunts and had them on 6 meters. Those were wild and crazy days man!! Back then I don't think the word "nerd" had even been invented and "geeks" were guys in carnivals who bit off chicken's heads.

Crescent City is a small town on the extreme north coast of California. This is Sasquatch country and the air-cycle chase in "Return Of The Jedi" was filmed right here in our Redwoods. Like most rural communities, we all (well almost all) drive pick-ups with a gun rack in the rear window and a big dog riding shotgun. As mentioned by others in this thread, a lot of Hams are outdoorspersons and that is certainly the case here in Del Norte County, CA. Ham radio and Geocaching fit together like an old 807 "bottle" in its socket.

Have A Great Geocaching Day.

73/88

Mike

quote:

Perhaps the site administrator will give us a separate forum, called "GPS & Ham Radio". If you like that idea, say so!

Anton

Vince

KD5NVO (formaly KC6ISS, I oops'ed on my renewal form) icon_wink.gif

quote:

Perhaps the site administrator will give us a separate forum, called "GPS & Ham Radio". If you like that idea, say so!

Anton

Vince

KD5NVO (formaly KC6ISS, I oops'ed on my renewal form) icon_wink.gif