HELP PLEASE

evilgummybears

I downloaded c:geo to my Samsung Fascinate™ a Galaxy S™ phone.

I love the program, BUT it shows my current position off by about 25 feet (which is huge when geocaching)

I installed Google Maps and it still shows me off. :blink:

HELP!

I can't find anywhere on my phone that allows me to calibrate my compass or change my GPS location.

I appreciate any suggestions. :rolleyes:

it shows my current position off by about 25 feet (which is huge when geocaching)

I installed Google Maps and it still shows me off.

25 feet is most definitely within the standard margin of error when caching. Most devices can only reliably get you to within 30 feet, then you need to put it away and start searching.

Google Maps is very well-known for being badly aligned in most areas, so it isn't a reliable way to determine your location. Some areas can be off by as much as hundreds of feet. If Google Maps shows you as being within 25 feet of your actual location on the ground, then it's pretty good in your area. The satellite imagery is off by about 50 feet in my area.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. And using a smartphone rather than a dedicated handheld GPSr can be less than ideal.

Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

And don't forget the other information provided by the hider. The description, hint, size, difficulty and terrain ratings, attributes, and sometimes even the name can all help narrow down where you need to search and what you're searching for.

it shows my current position off by about 25 feet (which is huge when geocaching)

I installed Google Maps and it still shows me off.

25 feet is most definitely within the standard margin of error when caching. Most devices can only reliably get you to within 30 feet, then you need to put it away and start searching.

Google Maps is very well-known for being badly aligned in most areas, so it isn't a reliable way to determine your location. Some areas can be off by as much as hundreds of feet. If Google Maps shows you as being within 25 feet of your actual location on the ground, then it's pretty good in your area. The satellite imagery is off by about 50 feet in my area.

Try using an old Etrex that doesn't know about WAAS. Used to hunt for the cache with a compass in one hand and the old yellow etrex in the other. After a while you start think like the poeple that hid the treasure. That's the REAL fun of it. :rolleyes:

Edited by J&K Together