Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
JJCRIC

New log or an update

Hi, I am a newbie and I just had a quick question, I am sorry if this has already been asked. If I get a DNF and log it and then later go back and find the cache, should I just edit and update my DNF to a "found it" or should I create a new found it log. I noticed that a new found it log will not nullify a DNF so as far as stats go I will still show a DNF for a cache that I did find unless I just update the DNF. What is the more accepted practice, or does it not really matter? Thanks

IMHO - create a new found entry, leave the DNF...

Well, it DOES change things.

First, it (sort of) makes a liar out of that log you posted as a DNF -- suddenly it becomes a Found It.

Second, it seems you are stuck on YOUR caching history. What about the cache history? Change the log and you change that history.

It really matters about as much as a hill of beans. I see many that change their DNF to a Found It. Heck, some simply refuse to log a DNF -- either they don't log at all, or they log a "note" instead. It must be they are playing baseball and want their batting average to stay high (they might get traded, ya know).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's really a matter of preference, but since you're asking I would recommend just posting a new Found It log.

Often my DNF logs are more entertaining than my Found It logs. Plus, leaving the DNF logs in place helps others looking at the cache page to see if people had to return multiple times. If I see a long list of Found It logs, then I assume it should be an easy find. If there are many DNFs interspersed with the Found It logs, then you know you might have to spend a bit more time searching at this one.

It's great that you do log a DNF. This alerts the cache owner that there may be a problem. Even if it's just the fact that you are new and haven't quite got the hang of things yet, it can help the cache owner determine if they have rated the difficulty level appropriately.

Happy caching,

junglehair