Just venting :(

We found a great Idea here to use a T-shirt for a log and have cachers sign it. We thought it was a great Idea and asked the poster if it would be OK if we did it. We made a large hide and the shirt was looking really cool! Better then we ever expected. We almost went and retrieved it for a event cache but happened the cacher having the event had given Pink Ninja a shirt so she wore that one instead. Then got a email about someone finding our cache and someone used it as a bathroom. >:( We checked it today and they even wrote in it with the pens we left what they did. They signed it with a name we wont post. We archived it as they would probibly do the same to the new one. I can understand I guess but they even opened up the bag with the cool shirt and ruined that as well and also left a #2 in there. I'm sure it was just some kids thinking it was funny but wondering if they found it with there parents and went back. Really sad about the shirt with all the cachers names on it.

Just venting.

-WarNinjas

C360_2012-04-15-17-11-07.jpg

what is wrong with the picture ?

it looks like any other large cache out there ?

if something is worth any value to you, DONT put it into a cache,

people just dont care much about your game, not even fellow geocachers,

at least it looks like this a bit too often where I go and visit caches.

This would've been a neat cache to find. Simple, but some thought to make it unique.

I noted in the OP, "was just some kids thinking it was funny", so I checked the map, etc.

Looks to me as there is a high school really quite close and a middle school not much further away.

I must say such a LARGE cache so close to a school like that only invites trouble. It may have been hidden well at first, but from what I have seen, later cache finders don't usually re-hide quite as well. Aside from that, with the school proximity, I think the kids were gonna find it sooner or later.

I truly like the idea, however there is no way I would consider putting such a large and noticeable super-sized cache that close to a school.

what is wrong with the picture ?

it looks like any other large cache out there ?

if something is worth any value to you, DONT put it into a cache,

people just dont care much about your game, not even fellow geocachers,

at least it looks like this a bit too often where I go and visit caches.

Maybe lost in translation. "We Give Our Piss" written in the cache container means they urinated in the cache container and are laughing about it. Pee. Waste.

A few years ago I was out on a maintenance run when I spotted a container nearby. It was a newly planted geocache - a ziploc container with "Geocache" written on it with magic marker. Guess they didn't know about our cache that was about 150m away. A few months later I was curious to see if it was still there. It was, but this time it had been used as a toilet for solid waste. Didn't even remove the contents of the container. AND it was picked up and placed back in the tree nook. Strange, very strange.

Ever since watching Return of the Jedi, the Emperor frying Luke and Darth Vader with that ILM Blue Lightning I've always wanted to be able to do that to evil doers, make them suffer even a little bit for the rotten things they do .. but life just doesn't work that way -- probably a good thing because if I could do it, everyone could.

I'd archive the cache or downgrade it to a well hidden small or micro and move the large cache to a place less frequented.

Sorry the world is full of jerks and one or more visited your cache.

Best of luck.

Its all good and I understand it happens. Even though it was not well hidden I don't think they stumbled across it. No reason to ever go there. They seemed to have known the game of take something leave something and even signed the container with a cacher name. They did leave solid waste as well and that really freaks me out, pee is one thing, the other is crazy. I had taken a replacement container with me but decided to hide it elsewhere and make it a puzzle for premium members only. Still need to work on it. Thanks for letting me vent and I feel better because of it!

WarNinjas

I noted in the OP, "was just some kids thinking it was funny", so I checked the map, etc.

Looks to me as there is a high school really quite close and a middle school not much further away.

I would contact those schools immediately. This is an outrage. It has to be stopped. We simply CAN NOT let our school children get away with inappropriate verb tense. :ph34r:

Boys will be boys. Nothing you can do to change it. Just move it. And don't blame this generation. My grandfather used to tell us things he did as a kid and they were not that far off from what happened here.

To this statement, I think we can all agree. I did notice however, that you didn't say what you may have/have not done along those lines. :o

The difference of today and yesterday though, is that you cannot simply blame "the boys", 'cuz the girls are more into such things than they used to be.

I had a cache that was torched by delinquents. It was in a nature preserve too close to the nearby city park that a lot of ne'er do wells hang out at and I got tired of replacing it. I archived it and have not been back since. The last finders removed it. I'm glad they didn't burn the preserve down.

That's horrible! Maybe the problem is that the game is getting too accessible. When you could only play with a dedicated, several hundred dollar GPS the bar was set high. Now you can play with the smartphone you whined for until Daddy bought one for you.

I'd never thought about somebody destroying a cache out of spite.

This is going to make me think very hard about my next hiding spot.

They signed it with a name we wont post.

Why show them the courtesy of not posting their username? If nothing else, do it to let other cachers in your area know what type of person this cacher is.

I took that to mean that they signed it with profanity, not a cacher name. I think this was done by non-geocachers.

Sorry that they did this too you!

Boys will be boys. Nothing you can do to change it. Just move it. And don't blame this generation. My grandfather used to tell us things he did as a kid and they were not that far off from what happened here.

To this statement, I think we can all agree. I did notice however, that you didn't say what you may have/have not done along those lines. :o

The difference of today and yesterday though, is that you cannot simply blame "the boys", 'cuz the girls are more into such things than they used to be.

Well, girls will be girls too and I don't think that's a recent phenomenon. Well over 20 years ago I was out cycling with a friend up Usury Pass in AZ. A car passed us and a bit later we passed it and some girl was taking a piss. A minute later the car passed us again and the girl threw her piss at us. Very wierd.

This would've been a neat cache to find. Simple, but some thought to make it unique.

I must say such a LARGE cache so close to a school like that only invites trouble. It may have been hidden well at first, but from what I have seen, later cache finders don't usually re-hide quite as well. Aside from that, with the school proximity, I think the kids were gonna find it sooner or later.

I truly like the idea, however there is no way I would consider putting such a large and noticeable super-sized cache that close to a school.

It's sounds like a great idea, just a bad location. Kids from the high school smoking pot in the woods who think its funny, it sounds like. Mount a game camera in a tree nearby and show it to the school administrators. That would be even funnier..

They signed it with a name we wont post.

Why show them the courtesy of not posting their username? If nothing else, do it to let other cachers in your area know what type of person this cacher is.

I took that to mean that they signed it with profanity, not a cacher name. I think this was done by non-geocachers.

Sorry that they did this too you!

A few posts later, this thread poster stated that the culprit must have known and the game and signed it with a cacher name.

I agree with TLandM. If you know their cacher name contact them...to at least state that their name was used by someone defiling the cache. If you dont want to...send me their name I'd love to tell them a word or two.

Also sorry you had to face this from some delinquent.

Edited by Landy49

Today's moan: People who grab trackables before you can get home and log your drop.

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

We not return to the previous scheduled program.

Trackable rants aren't a saturday subject according to the schedule. :ph34r:

How about can't get the validation for an Earth Cache because my 50mm lens is borked and all I had was a 70-300mm lens and couldn't take a picture of myself, after driving 250 miles? I know who's earth caches I will now be bypassing (at least until I have a working lens again.) :mad:

OK there is a update to this. I found out this has happened in this area before. The cacher used to be known as the rain of terror (pee in caches). Got banned and came back with other names. My daughter was not cool with me giving up and archiving it. I didn't post the cachers name signed because they are not the cacher that did it. He has been using there name as the ones who did it. It is the one they blame. My daughter came up with another idea as well as the camera for catching stuff moving in the area but we have not gone that far yet. It might be in appropriate but I think it is OK. Let us know if it is wrong and we will change it. We replaced the Large cache with a toilet seat and some permanent markers. The cachers will have to sign the seat for there log. Our hope is that the one who is vandalizing the cache will think it is funny and leave it alone but i doubt that will happen. We just thought we would give it another shot. Any other ideas on how to stop this vandal would be cool because it is a cool place for a cache if this guy would leave them alone. Here is what we replaced it with.

P1020822.jpg

P1020823.jpg

Note: Where she is holding the flashlight was a accident and we know the FTF on the lid was a mistake...

Edited by WarNinjas

OK there is a update to this. I found out this has happened in this area before. The cacher used to be known as the rain of terror (pee in caches). Got banned and came back with other names. My daughter was not cool with me giving up and archiving it. I didn't post the cachers name signed because they are not the cacher that did it. He has been using there name as the ones who did it. It is the one they blame. My daughter came up with another idea as well as the camera for catching stuff moving in the area but we have not gone that far yet. It might be in appropriate but I think it is OK. Let us know if it is wrong and we will change it. We replaced the Large cache with a toilet seat and some permanent markers. The cachers will have to sign the seat for there log. Our hope is that the one who is vandalizing the cache will think it is funny and leave it alone but i doubt that will happen. We just thought we would give it another shot. Any other ideas on how to stop this vandal would be cool because it is a cool place for a cache if this guy would leave them alone. Here is what we replaced it with.

This is very funny, and a good lesson on making the best of a bad situation. LOL.