F. U.

Groundspeak/Geocaching prides itself of being family friendly, right? Now don't we all know what those letters mean in the title of this post? Even if I told you that it means Found Upsidedown, you would have your doubts wouldn't you?

We have a cacher in New Hampshire named Team Yianni and he always gets FTF a lot! A cacher that has never been too fond of him released a cache (see link)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7870409a-3ef7-464a-b650-c579abb9d9ff

We reported it to Groundspeak but aren't getting any results. I guess it's OK to create caches using the letters F.U.

I think common sense tells us that this letter combination should NOT be used. What does everyone else think?

F.U.T.Y wouldn't ring any alarms for me- since it is a 4 initial title -

I don't see a problem with it. the other one " f***ing cache" I have to admit , I think it's funny. if that popped up in my neck of the woods I'd want to go find it. of course, if there was a town called "f****ing " , that would be even funnier - is that really the name of a town in another country?

all humor aside, of I was with my kids I just wouldn't tell them the cache name. if they were older and could read- id skip it altogether and go find it on my own time (that is assuming I Have any "me " time... haha

I'm not going to be concerned until someone publishes a cache titled F.U.A.C.M.! :P

If it bothers you so much, put it on your Ignore List. I don't see anything obscene there, and without your explanation of what YOU are perceiving...I doubt if I ever would.

If indeed this is as you think, I'd bet the 'targeted' team are busting a gut with laughter. :lol:

There was a time when courtesy prevailed. But those times are long gone. Now, it is 'whatever sells'. Least common denominator. "$h*! My Dad Says" Nowadays, we're stuck with whatever anyone wants to say. George Carlin is no longer relevant? TMI! I don't and shouldn't need to hear the basest things your mind comes up with. Sad. Polite society is dead.

Obscenity is in the eye of the beholder. I see nothing on that cache page that's blatantly offensive. If you want to be offended you can find it anywhere with enough effort.

For a while, I worked with someone who used a lot of abbreviations & shorthand in their emails. I got really confused the first few times she wrote to me about an FU - until I figured out she meant Follow-Up.

They're just letters, your 7 year old isn't going to know that it's "dirty." If she does...whose fault is that?

Edit: I didn't profile-stalk you, I just threw out "7 year old girl" as a random example. Really.

Edited by dakboy

Just looked - seems like CO is giving FTF to someone who posted he didn't find it. Leads me to believe that there really is no cache. I take it you have reached out to Rich?

Come close to meeting Team Yianni a couple times but he always beat me to GZ and is long gone by the time I get back to my car. LOL

I don't like this cache either.

I once found a cache (hidden as a fake bolt) called "Screw U". I laughed because I figure anyone who understands the reference is already "corrupt" and anyone who doesn't is likely too young to know to be offended.

Without the insider knowledge of the local community this really is a "Nothing to see here, move along" situation. Knowing what you've told me I still see it more as a playful jab and nothing worth Groundspeak stepping into. The frog has better things to do than wade into a spat in a local community.

If it bugs you, Ignore and move on. Paying attention to it only feeds the trolls.

Obscenity is in the eye of the beholder. I see nothing on that cache page that's blatantly offensive. If you want to be offended you can find it anywhere with enough effort.

For a while, I worked with someone who used a lot of abbreviations & shorthand in their emails. I got really confused the first few times she wrote to me about an FU - until I figured out she meant Follow-Up.

They're just letters, your 7 year old isn't going to know that it's "dirty." If she does...whose fault is that?

Edit: I didn't profile-stalk you, I just threw out "7 year old girl" as a random example. Really.

That! What he said right there. ^^^^^^^^ B)

What about the cacher for whom it was intended? They may be completely offended and the longer it stays there, the more it hurts. What if they were the type to take revenge? What about our map being filled with FU here and FU there, FU to you too and FU back at ya?

I think it's out of taste and childish, and I can laugh it off. But then again, I'm not the target.

I have a series of caches with S.K. in the title. On the by line it says by The Sofa King instead of Snoogans.

(I.E. That's S.K. Obvious)

How obscene is that? A kid won't get it. Most adults don't, but the ones that do have a good laugh.

My all time favorite play on words for a cache name (now archived) was, No wethst fo yew Athol, or some such near Athol, Pa. :laughing:

Furman University?

Fishbein Unity?

(You probably have to be older than 40 to get that reference.)

49 This week, and not a friggin' clue. :unsure:

You know, a lot people are probably missing this, and I did before making my first post, but you really have to read the OP carefully, and look at the cache page. There's some local Geo-drama going on, This guy apparently doesn't like someone named "Team Yianni", and the cache name is F.U.T.Y., as in Eff U Team Yianni. Yes, I do now think this is inappropriate.

I think you'd actually have better luck convincing your local reviewer this is inappropriate, rather than Groundspeak HQ. Is there documentation of dislike? Cache logs, local forum posts, etc...? Is the reviewer, who is obviously a New Hampshire cacher, aware of the angst?

What about the cacher for whom it was intended? They may be completely offended and the longer it stays there, the more it hurts.

Then let the intended deal with it. It's not your battle to fight.

What if they were the type to take revenge? What about our map being filled with FU here and FU there, FU to you too and FU back at ya?

Again, "obscenity" is in the eye of the beholder, and any "revenge" is between these 2 parties. It's not for you to get involved with.

I think it's out of taste and childish, and I can laugh it off. But then again, I'm not the target.
You're right, you're not the target, so you don't know what sort of "inside joke" there may be going on. And you don't know if the "FU" really means what you think it means - it could mean "follow up", it could mean "for U", it could mean anything. Any perception of obscenity is one that you have created in your own mind.

As for the "out of taste" comment, as the old saying goes, you can't legislate good taste.

I honestly believe you are making a mountain out of a molehill and getting far too worked up over something that really doesn't even concern you directly.

Edited by dakboy

I'm not saying this is a Groundspeak issue, but how long ago did you report it? Because Groundspeak has business hours. Hamsters have to sleep too, ya know. And they get hundreds of emails to respond to. But I don't think this is an issue and if it is, it isn't your issue. Let Team Yianni say something if they perceive an insult.

There are much bigger things in life to worry about than molehills.

Hey, This post is about me B) . Today I have been told about this topic and at the start it did bother me but heck, I guess being FTF (250+++ in 20 Months) will indeed tick a few people off..

I have sent a Email to Groundspeak in which they did reply but I don't see anything in the near future that they will do anything about it. I also sent a email to the CO, a short one liner stating that I know your telling me to FU.. He never responded..

So what a guy to do?? I guess live with it and will start placing caches out there with F.U.C.S & K.M.A.C.S and whatever I could think of.. Bet it wont be published.. LOL

I will be hitting Florida soon.. Hopefully I will be getting some FTF's there.. Last year, I got a FTF in Virginia Beach, that made my day :anitongue:

Later

Hey, This post is about me B) ...

I have sent a Email to Groundspeak in which they did reply but I don't see anything in the near future that they will do anything about it.

I was about to ask if anyone knew how the "victim" felt about it, but now we know. I'm sorry to hear it upsets you. It looks to me like a little good natured ribbing of an FTF hound, something I do all the time. After I read the description, I looked at the logs hoping you got FTF and posted a funny log in response.

Anyway, it's good to hear you aren't too upset, and I recommend taking it as a friendly taunt, even if -- particularly if -- you know it isn't.

Generally I find geocachers exhibiting some of the most dreaded sense of appropriateness perfected over the ages by newspaper headline writers - the newsies wanted a headline to jump out and grab your attention so terribly plays on words, puns and double ententres run amok. People do as they are trained, so caches end up with some names which follow the trend.

Team Yianni-"...........I guess being FTF (250+++ in 20 Months) will indeed tick a few people off....."

If that is the case then the way to get even is to beat T.Y. at the FTF game, not put out a cache that may or may not have been in jest that can be interpreted to have one obvious meaning. T.Y. lives near the center of the state of NH where the majority of caches are placed and has a chance to get FTFs if he wants to put the time and effort (and diesel!) into getting them. I’ve been FTF on 175 in the last 9 months alone and although I’m sure T.Y. mutters under his breath when he sees my name first in a logbook, as he has several times, we still co-exist at the weekly get-together at Milly’s where everyone has a great time exchanging good natured barbs face to face.

Who cares who's first? It's all about the journey. It's not like you're discovering a new continent, or the cure for cancer. It's just Tupperware.

Did you have fun? Did you get some exercise? Did you die if someone else got there first?

Molehills.

Who cares who's first? It's all about the journey. It's not like you're discovering a new continent, or the cure for cancer. It's just Tupperware.

Did you have fun? Did you get some exercise? Did you die if someone else got there first?

Molehills.

You may not care about FTFs but many do, just their way of enjoying Geocaching the way they want to play it, Mellow Out

Molehills.

You may not care about FTFs but many do, just their way of enjoying Geocaching the way they want to play it, Mellow Out

Seemed pretty mellow to me. Molehills...

Molehills.

Seemed pretty mellow to me. Molehills...

Pimples on a flea's butt, actually.

I have a series of caches with S.K. in the title. On the by line it says by The Sofa King instead of Snoogans.

How obscene is that? A kid won't get it. Most adults don't, but the ones that do have a good laugh.

My all time favorite play on words for a cache name (now archived) was, No wethst fo yew Athol, or some such near Athol, Pa. :laughing:

You really think you are sofa king funny ? :D

Team Yianni-"...........I guess being FTF (250+++ in 20 Months) will indeed tick a few people off....."

If that is the case then the way to get even is to beat T.Y. at the FTF game, not put out a cache that may or may not have been in jest that can be interpreted to have one obvious meaning. T.Y. lives near the center of the state of NH where the majority of caches are placed and has a chance to get FTFs if he wants to put the time and effort (and diesel!) into getting them. I've been FTF on 175 in the last 9 months alone and although I'm sure T.Y. mutters under his breath when he sees my name first in a logbook, as he has several times, we still co-exist at the weekly get-together at Milly's where everyone has a great time exchanging good natured barbs face to face.

I can't condone, at all, putting out a cache that calls out another cacher. That is really bad form, in my opinion.

However, is it really necessary to enumerate your count of FTF's in this post? Does it matter in the context of this thread, other than "you find a lot of them, and this apparently annoys some?" Listing this just comes off as bragging, and might be considered mildly obnoxious. Taking the high-ground just makes the person who created the F.U.T.Y. cache look like even more of a bad sport, in my opinion.

Not trying to tell either of you how to be - just wondering if you'd considered that were you simply proud of your accomplishments, but kinda humble, then the folks who call you out or complain about you would really be kind of cry-babies. But if you tend to boast a lot, well, have you ever considered that maybe you actually *are* obnoxious to some? (Not that this excuses their behavior.) Perhaps you are simply irked (understandably) that you feel you've been called out in such a public manner.

Of course we haven't heard from the CO, so we don't know if the cache really is meant to call anyone out, or what the source of the bad-blood really is. Maybe it's as stated, maybe it's just plain old ordinary dislike, for no obvious reason.

Anyway, congrats on your achievements, I'm sure several hundred FTF in a few months is not an easy thing to do.

I don't and shouldn't need to hear the basest things your mind comes up with. Sad. Polite society is dead.

Well said, good sir!

Some people are like slinkies. Not much good for anything but bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs!

Oh... sweet irony, thy sting is exquisite!

If that is the case then the way to get even is to beat T.Y. at the FTF game, not put out a cache that may or may not have been in jest that can be interpreted to have one obvious meaning. T.Y. lives near the center of the state of NH where the majority of caches are placed and has a chance to get FTFs if he wants to put the time and effort (and diesel!) into getting them. I've been FTF on 175 in the last 9 months alone and although I'm sure T.Y. mutters under his breath when he sees my name first in a logbook, as he has several times, we still co-exist at the weekly get-together at Milly's where everyone has a great time exchanging good natured barbs face to face.

I can't condone, at all, putting out a cache that calls out another cacher. That is really bad form, in my opinion.

However, is it really necessary to enumerate your count of FTF's in this post? Does it matter in the context of this thread, other than "you find a lot of them, and this apparently annoys some?" Listing this just comes off as bragging, and might be considered mildly obnoxious. Taking the high-ground just makes the person who created the F.U.T.Y. cache look like even more of a bad sport, in my opinion.

You know, you bring up an excellent point there, MR. B. TY could have just come here and said "he's ticked because I have a lot of FTF's". But he enumerates them in a specific time period, and talks about having one in Virginia, and hoping to get one in Florida. What the heck does getting a Florida FTF have to do with someone making an FU cache about you in New Hampshire? Now that you mention it, there is what can be considered the bragging that turns many people off about the FTF side game, written all over that post. Sorry, TY, but I do agree there!. :)

Yep. I crack myself up sometimes. :anibad:

You know, you bring up an excellent point there, MR. B. TY could have just come here and said "he's ticked because I have a lot of FTF's". But he enumerates them in a specific time period, and talks about having one in Virginia, and hoping to get one in Florida. What the heck does getting a Florida FTF have to do with someone making an FU cache about you in New Hampshire? Now that you mention it, there is what can be considered the bragging that turns many people off about the FTF side game, written all over that post. Sorry, TY, but I do agree there!. :)

Hmmmmm,, Actually I just mentioned it here.. Never do I brag about my FTF's at events or when I meet people.. I don't even update my profile on the number of FTF counts that I have or when I log them when I find them.. So, am I bragging?? I don't even think I'm coming close.. Good news is, I did get 2 more today.. LOL.. :laughing:..

Yep. I crack myself up sometimes. :anibad:

At least someone finds it amusing, even if it's only you.