Min Distance

Mallah

I have a fantastic location for a new cache which will be part of a series. However I happen to know it's within 0.1m of part 2 of a multi cache. Part 1, which is the published co ords, and the final are both over a mile away. Will this part 2 feeder prevent me from setting mine?

I have a fantastic location for a new cache which will be part of a series. However I happen to know it's within 0.1m of part 2 of a multi cache. Part 1, which is the published co ords, and the final are both over a mile away. Will this part 2 feeder prevent me from setting mine?

It will only interfere with anything you want to hide, IF this part 2 is a physical hide. If it's just questions to be answered going by information from the surroundings, then it won't affect your cache. If it's something the other CO has placed there, then you're stuck, I'm afraid.

It will only interfere with anything you want to hide, IF this part 2 is a physical hide. If it's just questions to be answered going by information from the surroundings, then it won't affect your cache. If it's something the other CO has placed there, then you're stuck, I'm afraid.

Yep, it's a film canister with part two of the final co ords in it for his final. It's just under one of many boulders in the area so there's nothing special about where it is - it just needs moving about 60m in one direction and I'm ok. Might contact him and see if he'd be agreeable to moving it slightly?

Edit: Just looked the CO up and he hasn't logged in since May last year?? and there are two NM logs on this one from Sept and Nov last year which haven't been responded to! Doesn't look hopeful.

Edited by mike142sl

Yep, it's a film canister with part two of the final co ords in it for his final. It's just under one of many boulders in the area so there's nothing special about where it is - it just needs moving about 60m in one direction and I'm ok. Might contact him and see if he'd be agreeable to moving it slightly?

Edit: Just looked the CO up and he hasn't logged in since May last year?? and there are two NM logs on this one from Sept and Nov last year which haven't been responded to! Doesn't look hopeful.

If it's in need of maintenance, a reviewer could and will probably disable it after a while, and then archive, meaning you could put you cache in place!

If it's in need of maintenance, a reviewer could and will probably disable it after a while, and then archive, meaning you could put you cache in place!

It's interesting that you say that. In my experience, although a reviewer could disable it after a while for non maintenance, it's very rare. I think they're too busy trying to keep up with new caches published and dealing with NAs. Reviewers will only actually be notified of a cache problem on a NA, so unless one is bored one day, or local (with an interest in this very area), archiving due to lack of maintenance doesn't happen often and reliably enough to be sure it will help this cacher out.

You could e-mail him and see if he'd be interested in letting you adopt it, then you could adjust it yourself.

Regardless of maintenance issues, or whatever, the Guidelines are there to help you:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

B.

It's interesting that you say that. In my experience, although a reviewer could disable it after a while for non maintenance, it's very rare. I think they're too busy trying to keep up with new caches published and dealing with NAs. Reviewers will only actually be notified of a cache problem on a NA, so unless one is bored one day, or local (with an interest in this very area), archiving due to lack of maintenance doesn't happen often and reliably enough to be sure it will help this cacher out.

Hmmmm....here in Ontario, reviewers regularly archive caches because of long-standing NM issues.

They will do a sweep of Ontario, looking for caches with NM and post a note on the cache page to let the cache owner know that they have a certain amount of time to fix the problems.

If the reviewer doesn't hear back from the cache owner, via an "owner maintenance" log or an email, within that time, then the cache gets archived (usually).

Kind of a common occurrence around here.

B.

Thanks all, I just wanted clarification of the 'feeder' element which is now clear.

I've emailed the CO and am hoping he still uses the email registered with GS. If he doesn't get back in a couple of weeks I'll have a chat with our local reviewer and see what we can do.