Is there REALLY a gps device better than the iPhone?

Sinver

Any kind of waterproof container will have heating issues when containing active electronics, to my best knowledge (unless of course it has cooling mechanisms). I purchased a waterproof case for an old Canon camera years ago, and it had a warning not to keep the camera contained for an amount of time because without air circulation it heats up dramatically... and quick. So yeah, the iPhone can get really hot before any noticeable issues appear, but that happens faster in the sealed container, and there's no recycling of air (eg you can't blow on it to help keep it cool ;) )

I would presume the waterproof container for the phone would come with a similar warning. *shrug* I haven't worked with too many waterproof containers for electronics, so I'm not sure if there are different types that work to keep inner temperatures cooler. It would be fun to be able to use the phone under water though, even for short amounts of time :) (and I doubt it would get too hot too fast to hinder any regular enjoyment of the accessory! Extended use, perhaps)

I'd put it in the case and use it about as much as I do now. It would probably be on...oh, a few mins total? When Im caching in az, it was on all the time, Being charged constantly, and burning hot. I'd have to hold it directly in front of the full blast AC...frequently. I am soooo not concerned one bit about the heat.

But, hey. WTH do I know about it?

Oh I'm not concerned about heat either - when in open air. At least the air is cycled. But if the air is trapped, it won't reach some arbitrary heat maximum (outside temperature, or as much wind blows across the surrface, etc). In a closed environment, it will keep getting hotter, and hotter, until it technically can't take any more.

I'm not concerned about heat with the iPhone in general use, but in a closed, air-tight, non-vacuum container, yeah, I'd want to know how long it can remain inside until it should be removed to cool down :)

Have you checked out geosphere?

So I just tried out geo sphere. Not bad. Downloaded a few PQs in there, but I am unhappy with the maps. No topos?

At this point geosphere only has google maps. I'm hoping the next major version (which is reportedly coming very soon) will have more map selections. IF I use topos, I typically switch to a different app anyway. When navigating to the cache, one map is enough (and once topography is determined, imo satellite is sufficient).

I can send over some bookmarking tips if you like, suggestions, both for waypoint view and general bookmarks. Those really help streamline common features =)

I do most puzzle solving on my PC, so not much field solving needed. But I have a few puzzling apps, like GCTools and iGCT, haven't tried iGeoknife... also I have a site http://ref.wikibruce.com with references to loads of ciphers and solvers and whatnot, designed to be quick for mobile browsers too (haven't tested outside iOS yet tho :P)

Coordinate tools are next :)

edit: no issue with gctools: user error. :cute:

Edited by thebruce0

I hear all the time that the iPhone is not as good as a dedicated gps device, but am needing convincing!

Can anyone show me a picture of a gps device, with an ON SCREEN shot of its accuracy? I find it terribly suspicious there are no actual quoted figures of accuracy or proof. My iPhone has a great official app, easy to use, and accuracy to within 5metres. Can any device beat this?

NOTHING is better than the iPhone.

...and NOTHING is much more fun than any of the above.

After repeated requests for this thread to not be a 1:1 conversation retreading covered ground, it looks like that's that this thread is doomed to be.

Posters in this thread, please do no open further topics on this or cover this subject again in new threads covering the same ground.