Is there REALLY a gps device better than the iPhone?

Sinver

Without shoveling through all the posting back and forth I'll tell you about my recent experience. I hid some stuff over on one of those other listing sights. I used my iphone4 with one of the apps for averaging the coordinates. I went home and started writing up some of the pages and started noticing that the coordinates didn't match up with the Google Earth pictures. That isn't unusual but they didn't seem to be within the normal tolerances I see when hiding caches. So the next day I drove back to all the sites and checked them with my Garmin Oregon450. Some were close. Like withing 15 feet. But most were 30 to 50 feet out.

Today I went looking for a cache with my iphone. The experience was typical of other such trips. I was able to find the cache but just as much due to cache sense as anything. The arrow on the iphone was swinging wide and wild and the numbers were jumping considerably.

So what I'm saying is that I just don't have the confidence in what the iphone is telling me. I think my old Etrex Legend was more stable and accurate.

Try not using compass and distance, and work off the overhead map.

I find the compass and distance tools a hindrance given the other features the phone provides. It just feels weird emulating a magnetic compass digitally, and why dizzy yourself with variant distance numbers when you see it visually depicted on a map?

Point: even if accuracy reads 17' at times, the estimated center point is more often than not quite accurate. And, if you move around or watch the map, it's much easier visually to see where the estimated location is hovering; essentially being a visual 'averaging' of readings.

I'd only really trust a compass if it were actually based on magnetic readings, rather than digital, and with the constant updating of readings on smartphones (any technological range), the visual representation of the accuracy (or "doubt reading") I like to call it, actually instills a greater trust in the reading.

In short, I find compass+distance itself doubt-inducing on the iphone, where viewing the gps reading visually on the map is a much more accurate representation of the readout.

Nonetheless, it's unfortunate that your area is providing difficulty for your phone. It's not as common as made out to be (as, again by my experience, I've cached under conditions often reported as unnavigable with smartphones, successfully). I can't speak for iPhone 4 GPS capabilities as I went from the 3GS to a 4S. But even with the 3GS I was never 30-50' off the mark. The accuracy reading might show ~15' on average, but that never meant the waypoint could be 15' in any direction from me, because by the map, the center point was always depicted essentially at the proper GZ.

Perhaps it's because I started caching with a smartphone, but I just don't feel comfortable trusting digital bearing and distance readings. Visual map has always proven to me to be far more indicative of actual location, and not doubt-inducing in my device's capability.

I still chuckle when a friend of mine does the GPS walk, head down staring the GPS, zig-zagging as he approaches gz trying to ensure the distance and bearing are trustworthy, when I've already seen where it's depicted and am walking straight there with my device in my *cough* back pocket. :P

But that's my choice - "purists" might claim I'm spoiled by using the map instead of distance/bearing. But then, why do they care how I cache? I'll never say caching by distance/bearing is "old timey", it's just a different, more challenging way to cache these days, and I certainly see the draw of it. But I can also see the technology-induced frustration in caching by distance/bearing while using a smartphone, and is likely why there's so much animosity towards smartphones. Because the distance/bearing emulation method is not optimal.

With the smartphone's jack-of-all-trades trade-off, not being a dedicated gps, the balance is in providing alternate features... like the overhead map. And so, that's what I recommend someone use if caching with a smartphone.

And I know, I can be extremely wordy and rambly :P

TL;DR:

So what I'm saying is that I just don't have the confidence in what the iphone is telling me.

Nor do I, when it comes to distance and bearing. That's why I never cache that way, and only use the map with the properly depicted location bubble and center point estimates. =

15m away at 88 degrees +/- 3m is still a very 'definitive' reading - a small change can put you way off course if the GPS is still settling.

Seeing a 6m bubble on a map with your current estimated position along with the plotted location of gz abotu 15m away, is, IMO, much more trustworthy than constantly wavering numbers (even if by small amounts).

Edited by thebruce0

I can't speak for iPhone 4 GPS capabilities as I went from the 3GS to a 4S. But even with the 3GS I was never 30-50' off the mark. The accuracy reading might show ~15' on average, but that never meant the waypoint could be 15' in any direction from me, because by the map, the center point was always depicted essentially at the proper GZ.

I can.

I started with the 3Gs like you in fall of 09. Kept that phone until summer of 10. Found about 700 finds with the 3Gs. The iphone 4 was a vast improvement over the 3Gs. Fantastically so! When iPhone 4s came out, and they took Siri away from me (I had Siri on my iphone 4 for months but lost her in the upgrade) I decided to treat myself to the 4s. The hubs got the 4 and the kids got the 3gs.

The iphone 4s is better in both accuracy and consistancy than the 4. Also, the official app on the 4s behaves better. Way better. In fact, many of the problems that I had with my iphones were eliminated with the 4s.

And, you are wordy but in a good way! You must not be replying via an iDevice! I find it difficult to type long responses, and seeing as I'm at work, it's hard to bust out Siri while on an internet discussion forum. You know, on my breaks and all...

For the record, I almost never using the compass either. The only time I do it is when I'm doing a side by side comparison of my iphone and 60CSx.

Would you agree bruce, or anyone for that matter, a dedicated gps alongside an iPhone 4S would be a good thing™?

Oh, and as for choosing one, I quite like the look of the Dakota 20. Is that useful?

I use a Dakota 20, I love it. I used to use a smartphone because I had an older GPS which did not allow for paperless caching, now that I upgraded to the Dakota, I just load up a pocket query on the unit and then I have 500 caches ready to go. I use the routable maps (openstreetmap - free) to drive to whichever cache I pick, then switch to the topographic maps (also found 24K maps free)to find the cache. It's pretty convenient. The battery life is miles above my smartphone, (I don't have an Iphone, so please don't yell at me for saying that, Iphone people) and when it rains or snows I don't have to shield the unit like I'm protecting a new born baby. I just take my time and look at the map. I didn't get an Oregon because I wanted something smaller with the best battery life I could get out of a touchscreen unit.

No one's saying it's bad to cache without an iphone, elyodeel ;) Just that it's bad to say that it's bad to cache with one ;) heh

Haha, gotcha. I was referring to the battery life comment though, I have a samsung windows phone and when using the geocaching live application the phone will die after six hours or so. I know that the new iphone has a much longer battery life so I didn't want to get yelled at, haha :ph34r:

I charge my 4S once every day or two. I juice it up if I'm going out for caching, but I try to run it down to zero or near zero regularly before plugging in. I often have it plugged in to my computer either at home or work. But I use it for far more than just geocaching, so it gets plenty of use :) With nothing to which to compare charging periods, that rate is perfectly fine by me.

I have a Garmin Vista Hcx and a Blackberry. I use both for geocaching. I would say that in fair to good conditions (e.g. limited overhead cover and fairly clear skies) that the two are equivalent in terms of accuracy IMHO. However, in poor conditions (e.g. heavily overcast, thick overhead canopy) then my Garmin is definitely more accurate.

This has been my experience geocaching in a suburban area (greater Boston) with an iPhone 4s and an eTrex 20.

I picked up the eTrex because of the battery performance on the iPhone. If I used the app compass/map to navigate all the way to the caches I found that I'd drain my battery in under three hours. I could extend the life by doing things like pre-loading the app with PQs; getting a general reading on the direction of the cache, shutting down the app, and then restarting once I thought I was close; etc. In the end I just decided to use both mostly because I like using the app to log the find (or lack thereof) immediately.

Caveat: I'm a newbie geocacher. I'm also a firm believer that you can never have too many gadgets.

I charge my 4S once every day or two. I juice it up if I'm going out for caching, but I try to run it down to zero or near zero regularly before plugging in. I often have it plugged in to my computer either at home or work. But I use it for far more than just geocaching, so it gets plenty of use :) With nothing to which to compare charging periods, that rate is perfectly fine by me.

I've fully charged my iPhone twice today. I'm a heavy user, what with the new bejeweled butterflies (and forum posts).

Do you log full field notes while caching?

Or try this one. Hit the trail at 8 a.m., hike all day finding caches along the way and see which device is still working at 4 p.m.

I can do that too. In fact, that's how I like to do it. I cache all day in the woods. Sure, the 60csx will have more battery life, but the iphone will still be alive and kicking.

Hmmm, actually, my 4s batt is way worse than the 4. I haven't used any live apps so I can't comment on their batt use, other than assuming its a big drain.

I've fully charged my iPhone twice today. I'm a heavy user, what with the new bejeweled butterflies (and forum posts).

I'm confused about what you're saying about the iphone 4s battery life. From what you had said, it could last eight hours of use as a gpsr but you've had to recharge it twice in one day? I guess there are ways to minimize battery usage while caching vs playing a game. I guess from everything said here the only thing we can all agree on is that a dedicated gpsr will have superior battery life to the iphone. So, if battery life is critical to you for long days with continuous usage, buy a dedicated unit.

So, Sinver, how long are your geocaching days? Do you need something that can run 15-20 hours continuously tracking you or can you get by with checking the iphone every once in a while to conserve battery (the way I imagine jesandtodd must do it to get the phone to last all day)?

Here's another test you can make though. Hold an iPhone in one hand and dedicated handheld GPS such as a Garmin Oregon, 60Csx, or one of the other popular Garmin modules in the other. Now walk out into the middle of a stream. Count to three and let got of the iPhone and the Garmin GPS at the same time. Wait one minute then retrieve both devices and attempt to find the nearest cache with each of the devices. It will be quite obvious which one is "better".

No, it's quite obvious which one is more water proof. That has nothing to do with being better.

But, fwiw, if often cache with my 60csx and iPhone 4s side by side and see almost identical results. Sometimes the iPhone even has better results, most times the 60csx is more consistent. The 60 definitely has better bat life. Better.

It does really depend on how you define "better". If you're considering GPS accuracy in isolation then you'll most likely find that under good conditions the two units will be comparable but if the GPS signal gets weak the smartphone may substitute a position based on cellphone tower triangulation, at which point your accuracy drops substantially and you may or may not be aware of the fact accuracy has dropped off.

If you're using "better" to refer to all-round performance things become a lot more vague. A dedicated GPS will be more waterproof, more rugged and have a better battery life. But then you can't call for help using your GPS if you get stuck.

Do you log full field notes while caching?

Addressing another point elsewhere, I don't keep my GPS actively running during my entire caching trips -- I mean, why? The app I use, Geosphere, allows you turn off that feature which preserves battery. And as I said earlier, i don't navigate by distance/bearing (hate it), so by using the map is lets me navigate by turning the GPS on and off and checking my current location as necessary until close enough to GZ.

Preserve battery. Don't keep the GPS on 100% of the time. That's a complete waste (and one of the reasons I avoid using the official app as much as possible - it's a battery hog :P)

In addition, Geosphere allows saving field notes. So while I don't necessarily post final logs from the field (unless I intend to report FTF, or dnfs while I know groups and others are out caching), I can post a field note for a find, possibly with some notes about the hide, then continue on (while the GPS is not active). When I get home I upload the field notes and turn them into final logs on the listings.

Preserve battery life, don't drain juice by using hardware and features that aren't necessary 100% of the time.

Edited by thebruce0

When my husband and I first started using the iphone 4 (we both have one)..... it was impossible to go a complete full day of caching, even with both phones. We'd use my phone until battery life went down, and we'd start using his while mine was charging in the truck between geocaches. It was absolutely annoying!! But - you'll discover your phone will die out before YOU will (and especially when you wanna keep caching!).

With a handheld, you can go many many days of caching trips before the batteries go dead. You don't have to worry about having to 'conserve' energy if you carry spare (and rechargeable) batteries with you all the time.

Aside from all that...these phone get funky without cell signal. If you try to use it without cell service, it's S L O W as molasses to update your position and (for us anyway), kept locking up. FRUSTRATING!!

So, for what its worth.....keep using the phone. Sooner or later, you'll be out caching and the phone will start to piss you off (for whatever reason) and you'll soon decide that you're tired of dealing with it and you'll buy a dedicated GPS. And you'll wonder what took you so long to do it....

I do believe at this point that there is likely nothing that can be said to sway the avid apple fans. It is apparent that if you are willing to risk you expensive phone and to carry your device in a special way, power it up infrequently and a few other minimal changes to your caching style that you can go geocaching equally well with your iphone 4 as with any dedicated GPS unit.

I'm confused about what you're saying about the iphone 4s battery life. From what you had said, it could last eight hours of use as a gpsr but you've had to recharge it twice in one day? I guess there are ways to minimize battery usage while caching vs playing a game. I guess from everything said here the only thing we can all agree on is that a dedicated gpsr will have superior battery life to the iphone. So, if battery life is critical to you for long days with continuous usage, buy a dedicated unit.

So, Sinver, how long are your geocaching days? Do you need something that can run 15-20 hours continuously tracking you or can you get by with checking the iphone every once in a while to conserve battery (the way I imagine jesandtodd must do it to get the phone to last all day)?

Yesterday I was at work, and as evidenced by my postings, was a painfully slow day. So I played angry birds, bejeweled butterflies, listened to th new Counting Crows album (great so far) , and sent 100 txt msgs back home over some juicy gossip I had heard. I also watched a episode of The Office on Netflix, and posted about 10 posts on this forum, and a few on my nursing forum. Also, I probably spent an hour on pinterest...

It was a heavy use kind of day

In the field, I use the phone sparingly, turn off wifi and 4g, don't make any calls, dont listen to music. I plan my trip/route while in the car (I'm lucky to have a lot of trails here). I have a physical map, a real GPSr (NWTrails baby) and can keep track of my general location based on the trail characteristics. I infrequently turn the phone while hiking. At GZ, pinpoint my search area, find cache (hopefully), log my FN, select next cache, read up on it, decide which direction to go and head off.

Doing this I can, and have, cached all day without using the two spar batts for the iPhone that are in my geobag.

Well,"they" have already started talking between themselves.....so all the rest of us can just sneak away and let them convince themselves how fantastic they are, until common sense prevails and they wake up.

Kinda letting the gene pool cleanse itself......

Oh grass catcher, you poor thing. So angry with such little content....

Maybe hit the trail and burn off a bit of your anger?

I do believe at this point that there is likely nothing that can be said to sway the avid apple fans. It is apparent that if you are willing to risk you expensive phone and to carry your device in a special way, power it up infrequently and a few other minimal changes to your caching style that you can go geocaching equally well with your iphone 4 as with any dedicated GPS unit.

Well, I do have my finds to back up what I say. It's not like I have 50 finds and I'm saying this. My phone *does* work.

What I've said is almost every piece of misinformation given on here about the iPhone ( doesn't work near trees, won't work on a trail or near a mountain, can't work in the rain, cant survive hiking over a rock, you'll never find a micro, the batts last 10 mins, etc..etc) is..well....wrong.

Proof. I use it, and those things are wrong. Isn't that what the OP wanted? If there wasn't so much misinformation (and mind boggling anger, lol) then these could actually be decent conversations.

I don't really care how much people get offended or angry that I use an iPhone for my caching. I find it amusing as heck, but if people want to believe that the phone is a worthless piece of junk then so be it.

I know the truth, and I've found a fair number of hides with it to boot.

Yes.

Is that a problem?

This is not Apple fanaticism. Any smart phone (Android, Apple, Windows, etc) with quality GPS capability is sufficient for geocaching. This is a statement against the claim that smartphones are all-around bad.

Is that a problem?

No one has said it's bad to cache only with a GPS device, only that it's wrong to say you cannot be a good cacher or have a good caching experience by caching exclusively with a smartphone.

Is that a problem?

Comments here have only encouraged proper use of whatever device you choose to cache with. Because no one wants to cache with bad coordinates.

Is that a problem?

You, Starbrand, seem to have been wronged in some other life by an evil smartphone. I only hope you feel better soon ;)

Well,"they" have already started talking between themselves.....so all the rest of us can just sneak away and let them convince themselves how fantastic they are, until common sense prevails and they wake up.

Kinda letting the gene pool cleanse itself......

Sorry, it seems I missed grouping Grasscatcher in the above as well :P

We're not fantastic. We're just people who have realized that you don't need a dedicated GPS exclusively to cache properly, or well, and still have an awesome experience. Nor do we say that that's the only way to cache.

No, we're not fantasic, we're just realistic and informed with first hand positive experiences that shatter blanket claims to the contrary.

I do see some people here who seem to imply that they are somehow fantastic though. Looks like the pot is calling the kettle black. Or white. Or some brand colour probably. Who knows.

I couldn't care less about brands or brand loyalty.

Just give me something that works and works well and sufficiently enough for me. At this point, that's been my personal mobile phone which is a high tech iPhone 4S, which I take care of. That's what I cache with, that's what my experience has been with. Others have had worse experience, others have had better - with different devices and with the same.

Keep the name calling out of the discussion please, don't bring the thread down.

To reiterate:

* "Smartphones" are not bad -- Bad smartphones are bad. Good smartphones are good.

* A cacher can cache with a good smartphone, or a good GPS, or a combination of the two (though hopefully at least one is good).

* A bad cacher can cache badly with any device.

* It's easier for a bad cacher to cache badly with a smartphone - they can be a little more complex, and by definition not as technologically capable as top end dedicated devices. But,

* Dedicated GPS devices don't guarantee accuracy and quality, just as "smartphones" don't guarantee inaccuracy and a bad experience.

* Just as with GPS device brands and models, do not lump all "smartphones" in one comparison, or even iPhones with their wide range of models

* When geocaching, with whatever device you're using, USE COMMON SENSE, in your process, and in caring for your device.

Well, I do have my finds to back up what I say. It's not like I have 50 finds and I'm saying this. My phone *does* work.

Ditto. Going on 3 years, from 3GS to 4S, and over 1500 finds.

If there wasn't so much misinformation (and mind boggling anger, lol) then these could actually be decent conversations.

One would hope! :)

I don't really care how much people get offended or angry that I use an iPhone for my caching. I find it amusing as heck, but if people want to believe that the phone is a worthless piece of junk then so be it.

Agreed! And well, at least I don't evangelize myself as an "Apple fanboy" in my sig ;) heh

I'm just an enthusiastic smartphone owner. I hate associating myself under labels. Labels are teh devil. They lock you in and they tear you apart. ...hm. Maybe I was wronged by a label in some other life...

I know the truth, and I've found a fair number of hides with it to boot.

I've even found a number of boots with it to hide!

Or, to blatantly answer the thread topic question and remain on topic:

"Is there REALLY a gps device better than the iPhone?"

Yes, most definitely, of course. Anyone who says otherwise would be a fool.

But it's a bait and switch to use that as an excuse to say that one cannot cache properly with an iPhone, especially without context. And that's what this whole lengthy thread's been about :)

Feel free to buy a dedicated GPS device and cache exclusively with it. By all means, there's nothing wrong with that, and you may well have a better experience. Take care of it, use it properly, and may you have all the best in your geocaching adventures :)

I'm sticking with my 4S presently because none of the arguments used to dissuade people from it are, from my experience, sufficiently accurate to convince me otherwise. And I'm more than happy to explain why ;)

What I've said is almost every piece of misinformation given on here about the iPhone ( doesn't work near trees, won't work on a trail or near a mountain, can't work in the rain, cant survive hiking over a rock, you'll never find a micro, the batts last 10 mins, etc..etc) is..well....wrong.

Who said they don't work near trees??

Who said they won't work on a trail?

Who said they won't work near a mountain?

Who said they will not work in the rain? (or on a plane with goat in a boat)

Who said they can't survive hiking over a rock?

Who said you'll never find a micro?

Who said the batteries last only 10 minutes?

It is a simple fact that a smartphone will work in all these situations.

Some of us simply contend that it isn't the best tool in the toolbox in many of these situations. Thats all. You feel differently - thats great.

Don't be putting words in my (or any body else's) mouth.

In fairness to users of smartphones (of any brand) when caching in an urban area a smartphone is much less unusual than something like a Garmin Montana. Nobody bats an eyelid seeing someone fiddling with a phone but a larger unit draws more attention.

In fairness to users of smartphones (of any brand) when caching in an urban area a smartphone is much less unusual than something like a Garmin Montana. Nobody bats an eyelid seeing someone fiddling with a phone but a larger unit draws more attention.

What?? Your GPS doesn't have a cloaking device that turns it into a phone when muggles approach?

Even if they know its not a phone, they'll see you as crazy.gif a looney and leave you alone.

What?? Your GPS doesn't have a cloaking device that turns it into a phone when muggles approach?

Even if they know its not a phone, they'll see you as crazy.gif a looney and leave you alone.

When I first had a 60CS it might just have passed for a chunky cellphone. When I replaced it with a 60CSx cellphones were in their "small is good" stage so there's no way it would have passed as a phone. Now phones are bigger and big screen are considered better than small screens there's still no way my Montana would pass as a phone.

I have tried urban caching with my smartphone but it's an old one with a seriously poor GPS chip in it. It has been known to drop signal in a wide open space, so in urban canyons it's utterly useless. The only good thing about it is that I can use Google Maps to see where the cache is, even if I can't reliably see on the map precisely where I am.

Urban caching mostly relies heavily on geosense, at least to cache in a timely manner. Which may be why so many dedicated handheld evangelists hate urban caching :P

I'm personally so glad for the huge variety of caching environments and technologies and challenges out there. Makes the hobby that much more adventurous, enlightening, educational and entertainment :grin:

I hear all the time that the iPhone is not as good as a dedicated gps device, but am needing convincing!

Can anyone show me a picture of a gps device, with an ON SCREEN shot of its accuracy? I find it terribly suspicious there are no actual quoted figures of accuracy or proof. My iPhone has a great official app, easy to use, and accuracy to within 5metres. Can any device beat this?

NOTHING is better than the iPhone.

Just wanna start off by asking if anyone caches with a 3G or LTE tablet?

Now to the good stuff...I started geocaching a few years ago (2009) and have only use a smartphone. It's kinda funny because i feel like everyone else is the other way around. This is the order of phones i used: BB Curve 8330 -> Samsung Moment -> Samsung Epic -> iPhone4 -> iPhone 4s. Now i am currently looking to purchase a dedicated GPS so i have very little experience with them. The only GPS unit i have used for geocaching is a Lowrance Endura Out&Back and it was only for a few caches. Ontop of all this I currently live in New York City so tall buildings are quite an issue for me although most of my geocaching has taken place in Michigan. With all that I am now going to list and talk about iPhones/Smartphones and handheld GPS units.

Blackberry Curve 8330 (Michigan only)

Obvisouly geocaching with this BB sucked!

This device was not powerfull and had a very inaccurate GPS chip.

No compass

Battery life was great but thats it....even today thats all RIM has going for them.

Samsung Moment (Michigan only)

Running a custom Anroid 2.x ROM and the offical Geocaching app was a great upgrade

No compass

Ok batterylife

(Stock ROM) GPS seamed accurate allough without a builtin compass the on screen compass would spin like crazy

(Custom ROM) GPS would take forever to get a fix and even then it was never accurate.

GPS is capable of providing raw data

Samsung Epic (Michigan & NYC)

Running stock Anrdoid ROM and offical geocaching app

No compass

Horrid batterylife

Constant crashing

GPS was the worst ever, I always had to use the networks to help tringulate me

GPS (even tho it sucked) is capable of providing raw data

Device was HUGE and toomuch screen

iPhone 4 & iPhone 4s (NYC only)

Both always running the latest version of iOS and the offical geocaching app

Both devices work well allthough things were just much smoother and faster with the 4s

Digital compass that always (and i mean always) requires you to look like and iodit while on the feild by waving you phone in a 8-figure padern

Device felt solid

Battery life on the 4 was better than the 4s by a good amount

"GPS" is very fast and accurate, even here in the city, bounes around when close to tall buildings but im still able to find them

I put "GPS" because iOS develoars are not giving access to the raw GPS data, insted they are given an API that just calles for the devices "location". This "location" is determened by you GPS chip and tringulating you via wireless signals. THERE IS NO WAY TO FORCE YOUR IPHONE TO ONLY USE GPS. The OS controls the two and tries to guess your "location". This is the reason I want to get a dedicated GPS device. I feel that your iPhone will never and can never get a true accurate GPS location (not good for trying to setup a geocache). I dont think a lot of people realise this but I feel that it's a huge limitation that really gives all other devices a 1up.

The other annoyance of smartphones is there short batterylife compaired to a GPS unit. I also find it anoying to have all the distractions of texts, emails and calls. I feel that you really need to use a smartphone as a second device because of all this. I also don't like the idea of my phone coming anywhere close to dead because without it getting home would be very hard.

I recently have been using a Out&Back GPS and although i do like having a dedicated GPS device i find its accuracy very close or even worse than my iPhone, so much that i feel i just need to get a more advanced GPS unit or it's just pointless. It also sucks that you have to preload your geocaches onto your device, this is one reason i like having my iPhone simply because i can always manually add caches if necessary.

The locations inwhich you are geocaching should also play a big roll in declaring what device would be better. Living here in NYC i have huge buildings and this blocks a lot of the satalights, making it hard for my GPS to get a fix. This is where an iPhone has the advantage because it's uses the wireless signals it's able to find me and get its location faster. I feel that if I had a GPS unit while back in Michigan it would be a much different story.

In conclusion I feel that having a deidicated GPS devices is much better simply because you have ruggid deviced with great battery life and pure GPS location. I do however feel that if you already have a smartphone you need to think about getting more of higher end model. Simply because the lowerend are slow as hell!

Digital compass that always (and i mean always) requires you to look like and iodit while on the feild by waving you phone in a 8-figure padern

On my 3 yrs of owning an iPhone, I've had to do this ONE time. That's when I tried to turn my phone on in an airplane.

Other than that time, it's never happened again.

It's....weird...that you've had to do this with normal use.

I put "GPS" because iOS develoars are not giving access to the raw GPS data, insted they are given an API that just calles for the devices "location". This "location" is determened by you GPS chip and tringulating you via wireless signals. THERE IS NO WAY TO FORCE YOUR IPHONE TO ONLY USE GPS. The OS controls the two and tries to guess your "location".

Actually you can turn off wi-fi, 3G and cellular data, and your GPS will still function. However, GPS on 3GS (and I believe 3G to a minimal degree) does use satellite data - what Apple allows apps to access doesn't include all the raw satellite data, but the phone does provide standard GPS location services and provides the appropriately estimated location and accuracy. In addition, it enhances triangulation via wifi and cell data. 3G and later models include A-GPS, assisted GPS, which uses whatever other information it can gain (wifi/data/cell) to improve speed and accuracy of triangulation.

GPS reception quality has improved with each iPhone generation, and the 4S is eons more advanced than the 3G.

You do not need data for the GPS to work. But without data, you won't have A-GPS enhancement. I know this first hand, demonstrated while I was caching with friends in a desert in 2009, with zero signal and only satellite GPS - and on my 3GS, no less.

I feel that your iPhone will never and can never get a true accurate GPS location (not good for trying to setup a geocache). I dont think a lot of people realise this but I feel that it's a huge limitation that really gives all other devices a 1up.

It does, but you can only rate it on whatever standard you find acceptable. 4S accuracy can be estimated to meters. Optimal 4S reception and calculation is miles ahead of previous iPhone models. It reads satellites better, it calculates faster, it estimates more accurately, it is most definitely a sufficient GPS device for placing caches - provided you ensure accurate coordinates (which any cacher should do whether using a smartphone or a dedicated device) by following oft quoted practices, regardless of device (see comments earlier in this thread)

EDIT: after the first paragraph, I think I mistook your point... I really only confirmed what you said, except that your implication was that because the OS only provides calculated data, rather than the raw satellite data, that it's not "real" GPS data. However, every device does this - the hardware reads the data from the satellites, then calculates its "best guess" - this is what provides the estimated location and accuracy, for any device. The only difference in iOS is that developers don't have access to the raw data, only the OS's resulting calculations. It's still the result of real hardware GPS readings however, and different models will have different hardware reception quality (the 4S, of course, having the best of the lot)

Edited by thebruce0

A typical "mine is better then yours" conversation at the moment and I will like to share my oppinion.

When you look just at the GPS signal en accuracy then offcourse a proper GPS device is better, no doubt about it.

But if you look for one device that can handle it all the iPhone is not a bad device, and I assume most smartphones can do the trick as well.

Pros for me:

Do not need a PC.

When on the road when I fell the need to cache I can take the phone out and start caching.

Can log anything right away.

I like looking/searching for caches on GZ. For me thats the game. An accuracy of 17-47 meters is not a big deal.

Cons for me:

To handle battery life you need to turn of or down things (wifi, bluetooth, brightness). When there is a low celluar signal the battery goes even faster.

A geocach of 3 hours is critical for me and I need to watch the battery. It feels like driving a car on the reserve fuels and you don't know how far you can get with it.

For this matter I bought an extra battery pack to take it with me on the road. This can recharch the iPhone twice while I am hiking. So 9 hours is the top but that's allright where I live.

Screen visability outside s...s.

Walking outside in "hiking" gear with an iPhone is not as cool as a GPS device :-)

ive done caching with only a dedicated gps unit but would love to use an iPhone. when i look for cache, i jot down bit of info on a paper to carry with me to help when i get stuck finding it. I would love to be able to just log onto geocaching.com and look up the log info. and sometimes i think i loaded all the caches im going to find for that trip and end up missing one. love to be able to just look it up.

A typical "mine is better then yours" conversation at the moment and I will like to share my oppinion.

Good post, thanks for sharing. Asking for opinions is dangerous grounds :P Asking for experience with specific devices is much more indicative of quality and the level of experience one might receive using any particular device.

"Mine is better than yours" is a fruitless, pointless debate, especially when neither has actually had as extensive experience with the other. :)

Context counts! One person's bad experience doesn't spell doom for one device, nor does one person's amazing experience indicate a trustworthy, flawless device. Take opinions with a grain of salt :)

Samsung Moment (Michigan only)

Running a custom Anroid 2.x ROM and the offical Geocaching app was a great upgrade

(Custom ROM) GPS would take forever to get a fix and even then it was never accurate.

There is an app for rooted phones, fasterfix, which would have probably resolved that (I use it on all my droids, and get a lock within about 10-20 seconds)

ive done caching with only a dedicated gps unit but would love to use an iPhone. when i look for cache, i jot down bit of info on a paper to carry with me to help when i get stuck finding it. I would love to be able to just log onto geocaching.com and look up the log info. and sometimes i think i loaded all the caches im going to find for that trip and end up missing one. love to be able to just look it up.

After caching with my iPhone 4 for about 6 weeks, I decided I would buy a Garmin Oregon 450, thinking it would be more accurate than the iPhone. Turned out not to be the case for me. For ease of use, being able to see all caches in an area without having to go home to log on and download to the Garmin, to be able to see the aerial view of where the cache is located, to be able to upload logs immediately, immediately log trackables, as well as take pictures to upload, the iPhone is by far what I use most of the time. If I seem to be having a hard time in some locations in deep tree cover or in ravines, I'll take out the Garmin to see how it compares. It occasionally is marginally useful in that capacity, but not always.

For those concerned about iPhone battery life for all day caching, it is cheaper to buy a Mophie Juice Pack at $79 to $99 to give you 3-4x battery power than to buy a decent dedicated gpsr at $250-$500. The Mophie Juice Pack adds no more weight than carrying extra batteries for your gpsr. As far as ruggedness goes, for about $30 you can buy an OtterBox case for the iPhone that makes it pretty indestructible, though still not waterproof.

You can also do your own experiments with gpsr accuracy by using google maps. Using google maps tools, you can determine the coordinates by holding down the shift key (on a Mac at least), of a mailbox, stop sign or other object in an open area which can be seen on google maps. You can then stand next to that object with your gpsr or iPhone to see how closely the coordinates will match the google maps derived coordinates. (By the way, this is a good idea for those of you who are challenged with providing correct coordinates for your caches.) You will find that you'll need to do this over several days and at different times of day to get the most accurate averaging of coordinates. Both my iPhone and the Oregon 450 put me within 5' after averaging five or so readings over several days.

My son has the iPhone 4S which seems to have an even more sensitive gps receiver built in than the iPhone 4. When we've gone geocaching together, if the CO has given good coordinates, he would frequently be standing just about on top of the cache while I was still homing in with my iPhone 4.

The Oregon 450 does have several advantages built in. It can be used to do waypoint averaging. And you can easily upload tracks to Garmin Base Camp. You can also make your own tracks to follow to a cache by using topographic maps on Base Camp, plotting the best course you can imagine to get to your cache and then uploading it to the Oregon 450. Once you arrive at your parking area, you can then follow your uploaded track to the cache location. There are other useful features, too. But unless you are really going to get into serious geocaching and start going after more difficult caches in the deep forest, it probably isn't worth it to spend a lot of money on a dedicated gpsr if you already have an iPhone 4 or 4S. Just my $0.02 worth.

For those concerned about iPhone battery life for all day caching, it is cheaper to buy a Mophie Juice Pack at $79 to $99 to give you 3-4x battery power than to buy a decent dedicated gpsr at $250-$500. The Mophie Juice Pack adds no more weight than carrying extra batteries for your gpsr.

Yes! I just got the Mophie Outdoor Plus pack (normally $119) for $39 at the REI garage sale! Today is my second day using it. Fantastic! I can't believe it took me this long to find this. It does indeed make it a way heavier, more rugged phone. But it still fits nicely in my back pocket.

I used it cold (no charge straight from the package) yesterday and I got a couple hours of charge out of it. Today it's been on all day and I haven't had to charge my iphone yet. So...so far so good!

Can't wait to trial it out on the trails...

For those concerned about iPhone battery life for all day caching, it is cheaper to buy a Mophie Juice Pack at $79 to $99 to give you 3-4x battery power than to buy a decent dedicated gpsr at $250-$500. The Mophie Juice Pack adds no more weight than carrying extra batteries for your gpsr. As far as ruggedness goes, for about $30 you can buy an OtterBox case for the iPhone that makes it pretty indestructible, though still not waterproof.

This is what Im starting to lean towards...I just hate to put a case in such a beautiful body :grin:

Morphine is the best tho and $100 is nothing compaired to 300-600 because really that the only drawback to using the iPhone.

Having just started geocaching a mere two weeks ago, I'd appreciate a serious and sensible heads up here. I already own the iphone, so I've bought the £6.99 app for my iphone4s as an entry level option. It's been useful so far, and in line with fellow cachers with a gps. <_<

I'm wondering whether to try to get a gps on ebay before I start placing any geocaches. Is that fairer?

The other question then, is, if I have a TomTom car satnav with coordinates available, can I use that as a gps?

If you really think I still need to get a gps, which would you recommend and would you recommend a specialist second hand GC site if there is such a thing, or should I stick to ebay or GoOutdoors and pay full price?

Thank you! I'm genuinely intrigued :blink:

Don't pay full price.

Most will tell you that you should not use your iphone to place caches. I have. My 3gs, in the woods.

But, I'm pretty saavy with my phone. For someone who is new, I wouldnt recommed using your phone to place caches either.

Could you borrow your friends GPSr to place the caches?

Which gps to use is a tough question. It really depends on cost, needs, etc. I have such a sophisticated device with my iphone that I didn't want a high end gps. I wanted something rugged and durable. I did a lot of research and decided on a garmin 60CSx, and purchased it on eBay. It took me several tries before finally snagging one at the price I wanted. They tend to go quickly.

To get the full benefit of a GPSr or the iphone app, you should upgrade to PM status. The combo of the two devices is pretty awesome, although I still find I use the iphone more than the garmin, even on the wooded mountain trails.

I use an iPhone 4s and a dedicated GPSr, an Oregon 550t. If you're leaning towards a Garmin, I'd go with a Oregon 450 or 550, rather than a Dakota. One reason is size of the screen and the unit. The other is the integrated Wherigo app on it. The 550 has a camera on it, and comes in handy. Whether you get one with the included topo maps is up to you, but I have them, and it does come in handy. The 450 prices are coming down, REI has it for $299 new in box. I know that you can do Wherigos with the iPhone (I have it and I use it, got a couple of Wherigo FTFs with it), and it has a far superior camera to the GPSr. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is best to use them as compliments to each other. It's nice to have two devices to compare with when you're caching. It's also nice to have the ability to get the most recent information off the internet using the phone. But I use the GPSr as my primary device. I've dropped it, and as one contributor to the thread has said it's better to replace a $300 GPSr than a $700 phone.

Just my two cents worth, your mileage may vary, but whatever choice you make, I'm sure it will the best one for you.

Would you agree bruce, or anyone for that matter, a dedicated gps alongside an iPhone 4S would be a good thing?

Oh, and as for choosing one, I quite like the look of the Dakota 20. Is that useful?

Edited by ivhs72

I'm curious when you say you turn off your WiFi and 4G. Didn't know the iPhones had 4G yet. I've reading the thread and a lot of contributors say they have good luck with the iPhone 4 and the GPS. I've been caching in the wilds of Oregon, with no cell or wifi signal, and my phone won't do anything with regards to geocaching (or anything else for that matter). I did a little research, and found that while Apple says the iPhones have GPS, they are acutally calling it A-GPS, or assisted GPS. I read a review on AnandTech about how it work:

"GPS

The iPhone 4 previously used a BCM4750 single chip GPS receiver, and shared the 2.4 GHz WiFi antenna as shown many times in diagrams. We reported with the CDMA iPhone 4 that Qualcomm’s GPS inside MDM6600 was being used in place of some discrete solution, and showed a video demonstrating its improved GPS fix. I suspected at the time that the CDMA iPhone 4 might be using GLONASS from MDM6600 (in fact, the MDM6600 amss actually flashed onto the CDMA iPhone 4 includes many GLONASS references), but never was able to concretely confirm it was actually being used.

MDM6610 inside the 4S inherits the same Qualcomm GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) Gen8 support, namely GPS and its Russian equivalent, GLONASS. The two can be used in conjunction at the same time and deliver a more reliable 3D fix onboad MDM6610, which is what the 4S does indeed appear to be using. GPS and GLONASS are functionally very similar, and combined support for GPS and GLONASS at the same time is something most modern receivers do now. There are even receivers which support the EU’s standard, Galileo, though it isn’t completed yet. This time around, Apple is being direct about its inclusion of GLONASS. The GPS inside MDM6610 fully supports standalone mode, and assisted mode from UMTS, GSM, OMA, and gpsOneXTRA.

Just like with the CDMA iPhone 4, I drove around and recorded a video to illustrate GPS performance, since unfortunately iDevices still don’t report direct GPS NMEA data. The 4S has a very constant error radius circle in the Maps application and shows little deviation while traveling, whereas the 4 sometimes wanders, changes horizontal accuracy, and velocity. In addition, the 4S GPS reports the present position in the proper lane the whole time as well, while the 4 is slightly shifted. I don’t think many people complained about the GPS performance on the 4, but both time to fix and overall precision are without a doubt improved over the GSM/UMTS 4. Subjectively, indoor performance seems much improved, and I’ve noticed that the iPhone 4S will report slightly better horizontal accuracy than the 4 (using MotionX-GPS on iOS) indoors. Unfortunately we can’t perform much more analysis since again real NMEA data isn’t presented on iOS, instead location is abstracted away using Apple’s location services APIs."

Full review is at: AnandTech iPhone 4s review

What I gather from this is that while the hardware in the phone maybe capable of standalone GPS funtionality, Apple only allows it to use the assisted mode. Why? I have no answer. But my best guess is that since this is a hybrid device, they don't want to give it the reputation for being a standalone GPSr, possibly for liability.

I'm very curious about other cachers experiences with the iPhone 4 in areas where there are no cell or wifi reception available. Not trying to stir up the pot, just trying to maximize my use of the GPSr devices that I have when I go caching.

Hmm. I do plenty of mountain, rainy, rugged, rainy, muddy, rainy, mountain hiking here in the mountains outside of Seattle. In fact, my little town gets almost twice the amount of rain as seattle. That's a lot of rain!

Mountains, rain, trees, mud, rain, trees, rain, mud. And Nettles. Plenty of streams... More than 100 ft from my car.

And, ...somehow my iPhone works. I cache with my60CSx simultaneously, and If I had to choose which one I'd call "better" it would still be the iPhone.

A dedicated GPSr is using satellites whereas an iphone is using cell towers. If you aren't in range of a cell tower, you're f**ked! That is why I will use a GPS until they have affordable sat phones.

I was caching with my nephew and his iphone and we weren't more than 5 miles from town and he had no signal. Of course, it was probably because it was AT&T!!

When I cache, I turn off my wifi and 4g. I turn off all signal. And I cache just fine :rolleyes: oh,and I have AT&T too!

I'm curious when you say you turn off your WiFi and 4G. Didn't know the iPhones had 4G yet. I've reading the thread and a lot of contributors say they have good luck with the iPhone 4 and the GPS. I've been caching in the wilds of Oregon, with no cell or wifi signal, and my phone won't do anything with regards to geocaching (or anything else for that matter). .

I'm very curious about other cachers experiences with the iPhone 4 in areas where there are no cell or wifi reception available. Not trying to stir up the pot, just trying to maximize my use of the GPSr devices that I have when I go caching.

Are you running your iPhone off of PQs when you are out of signal?

Like I mentioned earlier, I cache in areas with little to no signal. But since I turn eveerything off it doesn't matter what the signal is, my phone is off.

I think iWork's great. I know I've said this a bazillion times before, but the app behaves much better when it's not trying to find signal. Even with little things like dropping bugs. With the signal on, even on full wifi, it can take 30 seconds to 1 min for the app just to open my inventory page. That's a PITA!

But once I go offline, that app takes one second to open pages, one second to upload a pic, etc.

In fact, even with urban caching, once it comes time to add the bugs to my FNs, I'll go offline for a min to do so.

Also, 4g came with the last iOS update.

Thank you JesandTodd for the reassuring response!

Don't pay full price.

Most will tell you that you should not use your iphone to place caches. I have. My 3gs, in the woods.

But, I'm pretty saavy with my phone. For someone who is new, I wouldnt recommed using your phone to place caches either.

Could you borrow your friends GPSr to place the caches?

Which gps to use is a tough question. It really depends on cost, needs, etc. I have such a sophisticated device with my iphone that I didn't want a high end gps. I wanted something rugged and durable. I did a lot of research and decided on a garmin 60CSx, and purchased it on eBay. It took me several tries before finally snagging one at the price I wanted. They tend to go quickly.

To get the full benefit of a GPSr or the iphone app, you should upgrade to PM status. The combo of the two devices is pretty awesome, although I still find I use the iphone more than the garmin, even on the wooded mountain trails.

Am afraid friends with the gps live in Norwich and we're in the Cotswolds!! I may see if local school has one though ... geography department might well be useful here!! :grin:

I have the Geocaching App (the £6.99 one) installed on my iphone4s which has been great with some caches, indeed as good as the friend's gps for leading us to a cache, wobbly with a couple of others in France last week. Would you recommend any other apps? :unsure:

I will look at the 60CSx on ebay and see if I can bag one ... :ph34r:

I'm curious when you say you turn off your WiFi and 4G. Didn't know the iPhones had 4G yet. I've reading the thread and a lot of contributors say they have good luck with the iPhone 4 and the GPS. I've been caching in the wilds of Oregon, with no cell or wifi signal, and my phone won't do anything with regards to geocaching (or anything else for that matter). .

Are you running your iPhone off of PQs when you are out of signal?

Like I mentioned earlier, I cache in areas with little to no signal. But since I turn eveerything off it doesn't matter what the signal is, my phone is off.

I think iWork's great. I know I've said this a bazillion times before, but the app behaves much better when it's not trying to find signal. Even with little things like dropping bugs. With the signal on, even on full wifi, it can take 30 seconds to 1 min for the app just to open my inventory page. That's a PITA!

But once I go offline, that app takes one second to open pages, one second to upload a pic, etc.

In fact, even with urban caching, once it comes time to add the bugs to my FNs, I'll go offline for a min to do so.

Also, 4g came with the last iOS update.

Do you download the caches to the app first and save them, then turn off signal? Does the compass still work with no signal?

It's chucking it down here and the kids have gone back to school today, but I'm already looking locally to see where I might go for a cache related ramble on my way to the nearest town/grocers. Sad or what? :anicute:

Thank you ivhs, I'll track those Garmin models on ebay too! :ph34r:

What is a Wherigo? Sorry - new to all this, is it an app worth adding to the iphone4s?

I use an iPhone 4s and a dedicated GPSr, an Oregon 550t. If you're leaning towards a Garmin, I'd go with a Oregon 450 or 550, rather than a Dakota. One reason is size of the screen and the unit. The other is the integrated Wherigo app on it. The 550 has a camera on it, and comes in handy. Whether you get one with the included topo maps is up to you, but I have them, and it does come in handy. The 450 prices are coming down, REI has it for $299 new in box. I know that you can do Wherigos with the iPhone (I have it and I use it, got a couple of Wherigo FTFs with it), and it has a far superior camera to the GPSr. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is best to use them as compliments to each other. It's nice to have two devices to compare with when you're caching. It's also nice to have the ability to get the most recent information off the internet using the phone. But I use the GPSr as my primary device. I've dropped it, and as one contributor to the thread has said it's better to replace a $300 GPSr than a $700 phone.

Just my two cents worth, your mileage may vary, but whatever choice you make, I'm sure it will the best one for you.

Would you agree bruce, or anyone for that matter, a dedicated gps alongside an iPhone 4S would be a good thing™?

I'm curious when you say you turn off your WiFi and 4G. Didn't know the iPhones had 4G yet. I've reading the thread and a lot of contributors say they have good luck with the iPhone 4 and the GPS. I've been caching in the wilds of Oregon, with no cell or wifi signal, and my phone won't do anything with regards to geocaching (or anything else for that matter). I did a little research, and found that while Apple says the iPhones have GPS, they are acutally calling it A-GPS, or assisted GPS.

Assisted GPS is an add-on to GPS. It's required in the sense that if the phone can use A-GPS, it will. If it can't, the regular GPS is still avaliable. As I said, I know this first hand using my 3GS in a desert where there was only satellite GPS coverage - no data, no cell. I don't remember if I put the phone in airplane mode - I believe I did, so it would conserve battery. Either way, wifi and data were not available. I pre-loaded any maps, caching them in the apps, before leaving cell coverage. The GPS still correctly located our position and move accurately. I do believe I used the compass as well, since the relatively uninteresting sat imagery in a desert doesn't really help with gauging direction :). Also, that was almost 3 years ago... technology, hardware, firmware, software, all have improved greatly since then.

(eta: don't know about 4G as I'm with Rogers. By disabling 3G I just mean effectively turning off mobile data, whether you're 3G or 4G or whatever)

Edited by thebruce0

Would you recommend any other apps? :unsure:

iGCT (i Geocaching Toolkit)

Wherigo app

Do you download the caches to the app first and save them, then turn off signal? Does the compass still work with no signal?

It's chucking it down here and the kids have gone back to school today, but I'm already looking locally to see where I might go for a cache related ramble on my way to the nearest town/grocers. Sad or what? :anicute:

Yes. What I normally do it review the map to decide where I'm going to cache today. I pick the center cache in the area I've decided on, run a PQ off of that, load the PQ in my iphone, and then turn off wifi/data.

The compass works just fine, the blue dot works just fine. It's all good.

Thank you ivhs, I'll track those Garmin models on ebay too! :ph34r:

What is a Wherigo? Sorry - new to all this, is it an app worth adding to the iphone4s?

Wherigos are awesome! I've only done 3 so far. Basically, you download the 'cartridge' into your phone via the Wherigo app. Then you complete it by walking into zones and performing virtual tasks.

That's a lame and brief explanation, so hopefully someone in here can explain it a bit better.