An accuracy question?

Sinver

So the iPhone is seen as the geocachers enemy, apparently. What I want to know, what is the typical accuracy of your avergage gps device in comparison?

I wonder if the dislike of iPhones for geocaching (specifically placing them) is down to the early devices? I remember my "3gs" had terrible accuracy, to within 17m at best tho usually no better than within 47m! Now I have the "4S" I get to within 5m. Is this still unacceptable? What accuracy would say, a dakota 20 give?

Geocaching is a big community/hobby and whatever "finding device" you use is OK. Heck, the other day I used Google Earth + streetview and walked up to the key location! Personally I use a Nuvi 1350 and a new Orgeon 550 while my daughter-in-law uses and iPhone.

Sometimes accuracy is in the eye of the beholder. She is much better at finding than I am. I like the technology of geocaching and want to be as accurate as is possible. She likes the hunt.

I have to also add that my Delorme PN-60 is normally 5/6 ft under most conditions. I think that the issue with new caches is compounded with the fact that most may not have averaged it enough. I normally take a 200 count reading. Sometimes that is higher in areas that are not GPS friendly.

GPSr accuracy figures generally need to be taken with several grains of salt unless measurements have been repeatedly taken at recorded benchmarks. If a GPSr is saying it's got an accuracy of 6 ft., it's reasonable to assume it's more accurate than when it's giving a reading of 20 ft., but it's not necessarily more accurate than another GPSr giving an accuracy of 10 ft. I observed this when I took a 60csx and an OR300 on a walk together. The 60CSX constantly showed an accuracy of about 15 ft. The OR showed an accuracy of around 10 ft. Comparing tracks afterward there was no significant difference. The 60CSX tracked the OR, but didn't wander around it.