Pocket Queries

Yabut

I have two pocket queries, both of which clearly show all the caches on BaseCamp, and they used to show up on my Dakota 20 too. But as of last night, when I subscribed to Birds Eye maps, and downloaded my first one, which covers part of the area where the caches in my pocket queries are located, all of the caches from one of those queries have disappeared. They disappeared off the GPS, but are still visible on BaseCamp. I checked the files by way of the computer and the GPX files are still all there. I reinstalled the missing pocket query, just in case adding the map corruped something, but that didn't help. All the caches in that one query are still missing even though the GPX files exist. The files must be in the right place as the caches from the other query are in the same folder and are registering on the GPS just fine. Can anyone give me any insight into what might be happening?

How many caches are you asking for, how many caches in the PQ?

Some GPS's will not show caches over a certain distance, if you search by 'Nearest' caches.

There are only a hundred or so caches, and they were clearly visible on the GPS for more than the past week, as I used them last weekend without problem. The ones that are missing are mostly about 12 miles away, while the other query is about 30 miles away and still visible on the GPS. If I search for the nearest ones, it's the ones 30 miles away that I'm seeing now. The closer ones have all disappeared, even though the GPX file exists on the GPS.

I'm wondering if perhaps the map is taking up too much memory and bumped them somehow. I'm looking into that at the moment.

Edited by Yabut

Okay, here's a question that might perhaps be the root of this problem. Can you have TWO pocket queries installed on the GPS at the same time? I'm pretty sure I did, but since I was off looking for things in the more distant one yesterday, maybe I just didn't notice the closer one was missing since it was still showing me the caches on BaseCamp.

Okay, here's a question that might perhaps be the root of this problem. Can you have TWO pocket queries installed on the GPS at the same time? I'm pretty sure I did, but since I was off looking for things in the more distant one yesterday, maybe I just didn't notice the closer one was missing since it was still showing me the caches on BaseCamp.

Yes, you can have multiplePQ's on the GPS at the same time. What profile are you using on the Dakota?

Yes, you can have multiplePQ's on the GPS at the same time. What profile are you using on the Dakota?

I have it on the Geocaching Profile. I have basecamp set to driving, but I may have switched the BaseCamp from Driving to Walking once I got the map, to see if there was any difference. Honestly I don't know what profiles I should be choosing. We live pretty well in the boonies and the roadways don't show up on the basic map that comes with the Dakota, so, to try to keep from turning down the wrong back road, I decided to try for a better map. However, most of the time the caches are along some trail, so that's why I chose geocaching over driving.

I have gone back to square one. I deleted both pocket queries off the Dakota. I checked on BaseCamp and the caches did disappear. Then I reinstalled the latest Pocket Query and pulled the unit back into BaseCamp and sure enough, the caches are right back where they belong. However, they still do NOT appear on the Dakota. Now I have NO caches appearing on the Dakota at all. The files can be found when hook the unit up to the computer, and BaseCamp finds them just fine. The Dakota says No Geocaches Found. I'm at a total loss.

All I wanted to do was go out and have some fun today :(

There are no stupid questions. I don't presume to know anything so don't be afraid to talk down to me ;)

Yes, I unzipped the files, and I assume that I'm putting them in the right place since all precious pocket queries have worked just fine, and I put the new one into the same place as the a different one I already had in there. But for clarification, I have them in Garmin Dakota (F)/Garmin/GPX

I see under that there are two other folders called Current and Nav, but that's not where I've put things that have worked fine in the past. Should the unzipped files be other than where I've placed them?

Since my last message, I have hit the reset button on the Dakota20 to take it back to factory settings, just in case I hit something I don't know about (the darn thing doesn't come with a nice users manual like my eTrex did, which is too bad since it's not nearly as user friendly). I've now recalibrated the compass and I made another fresh start on the pocket query. I made sure all the files for this pocket query were not only deleted off the unit, but also off the computer. That made them disappear from BaseCamp. Then I reinstalled from the pocket query message. The caches are once again showing up on Base Camp but not the Dakota.

I'm about ready to go back to using the old eTrex even though I would have to install each cache individually. I was enjoying paperless caching while it lasted. Sigh.

Have you tried putting a single cache on to see if it'll show up? If that doesn't show up either, we can eliminate PQs as being the problem.

I just successfully captured two single caches. The computer did not immediately recognize that I was using a Garmin, and I had to choose that tab. I don't remember having to do that in the past, though admittedly it's been a couple of months.

Have you tried putting a single cache on to see if it'll show up? If that doesn't show up either, we can eliminate PQs as being the problem.

I just successfully captured two single caches. The computer did not immediately recognize that I was using a Garmin, and I had to choose that tab. I don't remember having to do that in the past, though admittedly it's been a couple of months.

Thanks to A-Team for the idea that it was the PQ that was the problem. I've never had trouble with one before, so I just assumed that the latest version of a previous one was fine. Since I was able to download the individual caches just fine when you suggested I test that, I dug out an old PQ and tried that too. Those caches showed up just fine on the Dakota, so it was, indeed the PQ that had the problem. I don't know why, since I've had the same one before, and just requested an update for this weekend. Oh well, it's been a learning experience for sure!

Thanks again to to those of you who tried to help. It's always good to talk these things out with others as something simple that you say may get me thinking a differently and helps get the problem solved.

Now, I wonder if I have time to go for a ride before the rain.... :)