Montana Users

cincol

1. Anybody out there with the Montana GPSr perhaps? Comments on use would be appreciated.

2. Anybody downloaded the latest software from Garmin site - * Beta Software: Montana, Ver. 3.97, Beta as of Mar 27, 2012. Should I download and install? What will it do to my unit?

I do not own a Montana but do use an Oregon 450. I generally steer away from Beta Software updates as I have read too many horror stories.

Same with any update from Garmin in fact.

I generally follow the forum comments first to see what Garmin has fixed and what they have broken with software / firmware updates - here is one for the Montana - http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/message/list/Home

I am using a Montana 600 over here in SA at the moment. I have been using this beta software for a couple of weeks now and have only found one problem. That was related to differences between automobile routing from the geocaching profile and the automobile profile. I fed back my problem to the Beta team in Garmin US.

From a geocaching perspective, it's been fine.

Hope this helps

John

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I am generally like Andy and don't like beta versions at all. I like to see them working properly at the expense of others as I have also heard horror stories.

As for the operation of the unit I am extremely happy with it so far. Have been using since August 2011. I have used it on 3 occasions overseas already [other hemispheres - South Africa and Bali - and large distances from home - Europe] and have never had any hassles of picking up satellite locations and or maps. I love the paperless caching facilities and no longer use my iTouch with c:geo for caching anymore. I do NOT use it as a substitute for a Nuvi as the Nuvi does what it was designed for excellently and the Montana does not.

If I have one gripe about the unit it is the compass function. I will switch from map view to compass [pointer view] once I get out of my car when approaching a cache. I find the compass to be very slow at locking on to the target - vs my eTrex Vista HCx which was very quick and accurate. The Montana likes time to to "settle" and moves at a leisurely pace! I like speed! :ph34r:

I don't have a Montana, but with respect to the compass function, my GPSMAP 62s also had a rather "iffy" compass. I've now turned off the magnetic compass and am just using the GPS routing "compass" (which is movement dependent), which works a whole lot better for geocaching in my experience. (Otherwise the 62s is an awesome caching device).

I don't have a Montana, but with respect to the compass function, my GPSMAP 62s also had a rather "iffy" compass. I've now turned off the magnetic compass and am just using the GPS routing "compass" (which is movement dependent), which works a whole lot better for geocaching in my experience. (Otherwise the 62s is an awesome caching device).

Thanks. I will give that a try next time I'm out and see if it makes a difference. I also read recently that all the "new" technology Garmins are designed to be accurate WHILST MOVING! They do not like being stationary so that means you need to walk in circles when you are near GZ in order to get an accurate reading. I will give your suggestion a bash though.

Thanks. I will give that a try next time I'm out and see if it makes a difference. I also read recently that all the "new" technology Garmins are designed to be accurate WHILST MOVING! They do not like being stationary so that means you need to walk in circles when you are near GZ in order to get an accurate reading. I will give your suggestion a bash though.

Cool. We can compare notes at GC3F6GN! <_<

Cool. We can compare notes at GC3F6GN! <_<

:P

Sure thing!! :grin:B)