Disappearing Waypoints Garmin 78

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 78. When I enter a set of coordinates that I want to find in the future, it takes me to an overview of the map and marks the location. I will hit enter, edit waypoint, and change the name and description (Maybe this is not the proper way to save a waypoint?).

At this point it will show up in my "Waypoint Manager". But then if I enter new coordinates ie; try to add another waypoint, the previous one I have entered will totally disappear. It will no longer be under "Waypoint Manager" not even "Recent Finds".

I am at a lost and a bit frustrated having spent quite some time trying to figure it out, any help is majorly appreciated!

I also have a 78 (S) but I sure don't understand some of your description....

Here's how...

Turn it on and let it get a lock on satellites. Then press and hold "Enter(mark)".....

That's marking your current location, now using the toggle button, toggle up to where the coordinates are highlighted....hit enter, now change/edit the coordinates to "whatever" then toggle down to the word Done below the keypad, hit enter ,...... toggle up to highlight the name ,or symbol( no done button on sym), chg elev.....hit enter every time to "enter" and edit the data in those windows, when leaving, click Done....

Get the idea?

Edited by Grasscatcher

I also have a 78 (S) but I sure don't understand some of your description....

Here's how...

Turn it on and let it get a lock on satellites. Then press and hold "Enter(mark)".....

That's marking your current location, now using the toggle button, toggle up to where the coordinates are highlighted....hit enter, now change/edit the coordinates to "whatever" then toggle down to the word Done below the keypad, hit enter ,...... toggle up to highlight the name ,or symbol( no done button on sym), chg elev.....hit enter every time to "enter" and edit the data in those windows, when leaving, click Done....

Get the idea?

Firstly, thanks so much for your time and response Grasscatcher!

I definitely get your idea. I can do that, and it works for when I find a point on the map I wish to go directly to or even save that point for later. The problem actually occurs when I hit "find", and enter in coordinates manually in the form of lat and long. It will then put a point marker on the map at that location as per usual. I can then even rename the waypoint and change the description. But if I go to add another additional waypoint by manually entering the coordinates the prior existing one will total disappear from my "waypoint manager", and also can not be found in the "recent find" tab.

So it is quite annoying that I can't seem to save waypoints if I enter them manually.

Edited by JPCanadian

By starting with "Find", you are creating a MOB (man overboard) TEMPORARY waypoint. It is meant to be just that, an emergency ,quick,one step operation. for temporary use.

To Manually create a permanent waypoint, you have to "Save" your current location, then Manually change the coordinates. Move your cursor on the map to where you want a waypoint , read the coordinates at the top of the screen, create a waypoint and edit the coordinates to those coordinated you wrote down.

Same procedure, just different start point.

Look under the "Enter" button....it also says "mark".... for "marking" or creating a (perm) waypoint.

By starting with "Find", you are creating a MOB (man overboard) TEMPORARY waypoint. It is meant to be just that, an emergency ,quick,one step operation. for temporary use.

To Manually create a permanent waypoint, you have to "Save" your current location, then Manually change the coordinates. Move your cursor on the map to where you want a waypoint , read the coordinates at the top of the screen, create a waypoint and edit the coordinates to those coordinated you wrote down.

Look under the "Enter" button....it also says "mark".... for "marking" or creating a (perm) waypoint.

Thanks so much again Grasscatcher. I will try this tomorrow and let you know how I fair out. I really appreciate all your help.

Thanks so much again Grasscatcher. I will try this tomorrow and let you know how I fair out. I really appreciate all your help.

Still cam,t get this to work. Basically if I was to give someone Multiple coordinates, how would I save each one as waypoints. I can't seem to find the coordinate unless I press "find" on the 78.

"Saving" a waypoint is different than "Finding" a waypoint.

For each pair of coordinates you would create a waypoint as described above. Don't worry about editing the name, just let the unit assign the next number in it's normal sequence. (you can always go back and edit if you want). Remember what those names are.

Now, after saving those different waypoints, look in your "waypoint manager" list. Find them? They should all be listed. Where in the list depends on their distance from your current location.( Closest first, furthest last)

Now, to get your unit to direct you to one of them, go up to "Find" and click on it. (Don't press and HOLD, just click on it) A list should come up,,,(Recent Finds,Waypoints,Tracks,All POIs...etc), toggle down and highlight "waypoints", hit enter....your list of waypoints should come up, toggle down to whichever you want to navigate to, hit enter, then GO(enter)

Now to stop navigation, go back up to Find, choose Stop Navigation or Find Another...etc