How to download all caches at once

Mr&MrsMooMoo

We have an Etrex 20 and would like to download all the caches at once, and have only managed to download them individually so far.

We have installed the Garmin Maps for New Zealand (city Navigator) and will install the Topo maps when required, but basically we want to download all the caches in NZ at once.

Is there anyone who can explain step by step instructions on how to do this if possible?

Many thanks

Mr&MrsMooMoo

We have an Etrex 20 and would like to download all the caches at once, and have only managed to download them individually so far.

We have installed the Garmin Maps for New Zealand (city Navigator) and will install the Topo maps when required, but basically we want to download all the caches in NZ at once.

Is there anyone who can explain step by step instructions on how to do this if possible?

Many thanks

Mr&MrsMooMoo

You need to make a pocketquery with the required caches set as the filter.

I'm sure there is a limit on the number of caches that Etrex will hold, I doubt if it's "all the caches in NZ", which is around 14,750.

The Garmin website says of that unit that it holds, "Waypoints/favorites/locations: 2000 " I'd guess that applies to GPX files. I could be wrong.

You can grab caches in batches of 1000 at a time via Pocket Query.

Your Etrex came with some software that will let you load those GPX files. Somewhere in the owners manual is the info on how to do this.

I'm sure there is a limit on the number of caches that Etrex will hold, I doubt if it's "all the caches in NZ", which is around 14,750.

The Garmin website says of that unit that it holds, "Waypoints/favorites/locations: 2000 " I'd guess that applies to GPX files. I could be wrong.

You can grab caches in batches of 1000 at a time via Pocket Query.

Your Etrex came with some software that will let you load those GPX files. Somewhere in the owners manual is the info on how to do this.

Yep, you are wrong, and you are wrong on several points.

Waypoints and geocaches are two entirely diffent things. By actual testing, the eTrex 20 can hold a total of 5000 geocaches contained in one or more GPX files.

The eTrex does not come with any software for the PC. To send files directly to or from the GPS from your web browser will require the Garmin GPS plugin. It is available from Garmin but I seem to remember that GC.com will tell you that one is needed the first time you attempt such communication. Also there are major problems with the plugin on a Mac.

You do not need software to move Pocket Queries to the GPS. Most of the time they will be downloaded as a ZIP file and must be unzipped before moving the files to the GPS. (Think of the ZIP file as an envelope.) Both Mac and PC handle the ZIP file without additional software. Connect the GPS to the computer in Mass Storage Mode (a setup option on the eTrex) and simply move the files you removed from the ZIP file from the computer to the [GPS]:\garmin\gpx folder. The first time you turn on the eTrex after adding a large GPX file it will take a couple of minutes to boot as it processes the file.

The manual provided by Garmin is a lengthy overview at best, providing very little useful information. You should read about pocket queries on the GC.com site. http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118