I took one - I'm sorry!

GirlOnFire8

I'm so sorry but today I found a geocache and took it and left before opening it and realizing what it was. I will return it but can't so so until Monday. Is there anything I should do in the meantime? I feel bad...didn't mean to ruin anyone's game...

Thanks!

Post a note on the cache page and explain the situation:

Go to the cache page, and on the upper-right hand corner you will see "Log your visit". Click that and on the next page there will be a drop-down menu for "type of log". You can use the "write note" log option.

The cache owner will hopefully see it and temporarily disable the cache.

B.

Yes, there are 2 things you should do immediately:

1. Go to "Hide and Seek a cache", find the cache listing and log what you did. You can find the cache if you put in a general location in the appropriate box. I don't think there is a need for the CO to disable the cache if you put it back asap.

2. Join the game.

If you follow the above directions I guarantee the Geocaching Police will not hunt you down.

Yes, there are 2 things you should do immediately:

1. Go to "Hide and Seek a cache", find the cache listing and log what you did. You can find the cache if you put in a general location in the appropriate box. I don't think there is a need for the CO to disable the cache if you put it back asap.

2. Join the game.

If you follow the above directions I guarantee the Geocaching Police will not hunt you down.

Well, she's already joined the game! Just need to log the find.

To the original poster (OP): Lot's of geocaches get found by accident, but not many take the trouble to come to the website and ask what to do about it. We want you on the geocaching team! I hope this was the first of many finds!

I accidentally took a cache once. It was a little waterproof match container and when I opened it the threads were full of sand. I was afraid if I closed it I would mess up the container to wash it. In the 30 minutes it took me to get home and log my find the owner marked it missing. I felt so stupid! I messaged her and told her what happened and she wasn't mad. She thanked me for cleaning up the cache and putting it back.