Quick Log-On Now Failing

Prime Suspect

We used to (until today) be able to automatically log on to geocaching.com by embedding our user profile and password into the log-on URL (I know this sends it in plaintext, but in this case, the convenience outweighs the minor security aspect, and it's our decision to do so). This has been a great time saver for years. Now, however, it's failing. Instead of accessing geocaching.com it's trying to direct us to the bogus address of

http://jeremy/geolegacy/my/

I hope the quick log-on ability will be re-implemented soon.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

Temporary issue. It has been resolved.

Rockin'!

I know you're being inundated with "suggestions" and "comments", due to the on-going changes. As one of those who is rarely without a comment to contribute, I just want to say a big, sincere THANKS! for putting up with it, and for understanding that people only voice their opinions when they care about something. You've managed to create a website that people care about.

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

You've managed to create a website that people care about.

Thanks. The most annoying thing about this all is doing a bunch of work to make the site look exactly the same but faster. There will be some bumps along the road but once we get this moved over it will make enhancements 100x easier.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by LilDevil:

Hey this sounds useful. Can someone save me the time of figuring it out myself and share what the url would be?

Thanks.

Lil Devil http://www.lildevil.org/images/smiley/lildevil.gif

Okay...

http://www.geocaching.com/login/default.aspx?redir=&S=0&ID=&U=&username=YOUR+NAME&password=YOUR+PASSWORD&Login=Login&forumlogin=on

Replace YOUR+NAME, with your geocaching profile name. If it has any embedded blank spaces, replace them with plus signs (+). Replace YOUR+PASSWORD with, duh, your password. Same deal goes for blank spaces. That's it.

There may be one or two unnecessary parameters in there, but I haven't taken the time to experiment with it too much. This link will take you to Your Cache Page. If you have your cookies set, you should be able to click on the Discussion link, and be automatically signed on to the boards.

3608_2800.gif

Help! I have a login question, pertaining to this relatively old thread. Hopefully someone will notice me down here icon_confused.gif

As described in this thread, its possible to set up a bookmark that automatically logs in. However, I can't get it to work, even by typing it into the browser. I have tried every combination of argument that I have found, and have tried it on a variey of platforms and browsers. Is this still possible?

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Give http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=5736073&r=3836073#3836073 idea a try.

That link seems to have help for how to log on the forums. I'm more excited about the idea of having a URL as described above that logs me into the geocaching site. When I go type this in my browser, it just stays on "Loading" forever until it gives up.

quote:
Originally posted by PointingTheWay:

Help! I have a login question, pertaining to this relatively old thread. Hopefully someone will notice me down here icon_confused.gif

As described in this thread, its possible to set up a bookmark that automatically logs in. However, I can't get it to work, even by typing it into the browser. I have tried every combination of argument that I have found, and have tried it on a variey of platforms and browsers. Is this still possible?

That (like a lot of things) hasn't worked since the site was "improved".

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by PointingTheWay:

That link seems to have help for how to log on the forums. I'm more excited about the idea of having a URL as described above that logs me into the geocaching site.

So, use that link to log onto the forums and then click on the geologo and you're there! Still beats typing.