Apologies to the Horsham Geocaching man 12/4/2012

saraya

Apologies - Google informs me that I am a muggle.

As a nurse, I was bound to be concerned seeing a man standing in the river, in the rain, bleeding.

As a person who lives on a river bank of a river that floods periodically – I was going to be concerned about a non official guy with a screwdriver fiddling about with a drain entrance.

Plus as a human being, the fact that you were bleeding and acting strangely did cause me to wonder if you were stashing a murder weapon.

If you had explained to any of the concerned neighbours that spoke to you what you were doing – we would not have called the police.

I am genuinely sorry that your night was ruined. And sorry also to the others that this may affect. I had never heard of Geocaching until the police officer explained it to me and my subsequent Googling. It actually sounds really cool and hubby is intrigued.

So sorry for muggling you. But maybe next time, take a minute to explain to concerned people.

And the nurse in me has to say – for the love of God, don’t stick open wounds into rivers and muddy river banks!

I hope your next session is less stressful and muggle free.

Sam :)

This sounds like a very unfortunate incident. I obviously dont know what has happened here but how very decent of you to go to the trouble of coming on here to explain and apologise. I hope you go on to investigate the hobby further and that we see you here again as a cacher :) !

Well done you for taking the time to come along and explain :) .

Note not all geocaches require you to stand in the middle of a river unscrewing drain covers, so why not have a look for some with the Hubby? - there are apps available for most smartphones these days so you probably already have the wherewithal to start; and if you need advice or help you've already found the right place to come and ask!

Interesting that you said "....about a non official guy...", when I had to search for a cache in a similar situation I had on a hi-vis yellow jacket, and did it in the middle of the day with plenty of people around and no-one took any notice, I think the jacket and perhaps a hard hat (if you've got one) or a clipboard is often the best form of camoflage.

So I expect everyone's now thinking the same as me, which cache was it and who was muggled?

Anyone on here know which cache in/near Horsham sends you to the middle of a river?

Edited by MartyBartfast

What a great first post from Sam, and some very sensible advice to everyone there.

Hopefully you won't remain a muggle for long:D

Now could it be this cache Blackbridge ATM? looks like it's in a river but there's no DNF log from yesterday. Perhaps they don't have access to a computer at the moment :unsure:

[Edit] since the cache is premium members only (i.e. you have to pay) it's unlikely the OP could check the location It's close the bridge near the junction of Blackridge Lane and Middleton Road in Horsham.

Edited by MTH

Hi again. :)

One of the reasons for my apology was the fact that the police officer told the man it had to be moved. So I figured we’d totally c*cked up the hunt for a lot of people.

I haven’t seen anyone else in that area. The streets you mentioned are close – but I don’t want to give the exact name in case I ruin things further!

Thanks for not all yelling at the muggle! :)

Edited by saraya

The cache page gives the precise location so you're not giving anything away :)

Unless the cache in question has already been archived then this is probably the one. There aren't any others caches within 500m and none that might be in a river.

mark

Edited by MTH

Oh for goodness sake......CONCERNED!!!

For you maybe. Not for me. Please dont shout.

Shouting warranted, in my eyes anyway.

As a nurse, I was bound to be concerned seeing a man standing in the river, in the rain, bleeding.

I think that says enough, don't you? Sam should be welcomed here for the original post and explaining what happened. A lesson to us all I think.

Eyes or ears?

"Plus as a human being, the fact that you were bleeding and acting strangely did cause me to wonder if you were stashing a murder weapon."

Was the cache in the Bronx?

Over reaction in my eyes but each to their own.

]

I think that says enough, don't you? Sam should be welcomed here for the original post and explaining what happened. A lesson to us all I think.

I agree, shouting indeed warranted.

I can overlook a lot of things.

However, as a nurse, you bleeding is going to catch my eye so fast you wouldn't believe it.

We look out for other people,*always*, even when we a not clocked in.

Your kid, choking at the table across the restaurant, I noticed that. Your boyfriend, looking at you like he's gonna hit you, I notice that too.

You bleeding in a river....gonna notice that!!

For anyone to call that nosy is pretty unbelievable.

Good job OP. You did the right thing (of course) :)

"Plus as a human being, the fact that you were bleeding and acting strangely did cause me to wonder if you were stashing a murder weapon."

So violent crime only happens in cities?

The OP has stated that this cache very close to her home (although the precise distance has now been edited out so maybe you didn't see that), are you saying that if you saw someone standing in a river in the rain bleeding close to your house that you wouldn't be concerned, either suspicious of some crime or worried about their mental health? and you'd just turn round and carry on watching the telly?

Edited by MartyBartfast

Dear saraya, welcome to the wonderful world of this forum. To my mind you are just the sort of person we committed geocachers hope to encounter. You are concerned, interested and motivated enough to come here to check that your actions were not misconstrued. I for one salute you.

You willby now have noticed a regular trend in this (and possibly other) forum for someone to come along and be contrary. Please don't be put off, most catchers are decent people and mostly harmless. ;)

Why do people find it so hard to understand that we all have different opinions?

I'm entitled to mine as you are all entitled to yours. What's the fuss?

There is no 'fuss' and nobody finds it 'hard to understand' but if your opinion is controversial(as yours seems to be in this instance), you cannot expect others to not say anything. Its called a forum :rolleyes: .

Apologies - Google informs me that I am a muggle.

As a nurse, a cacher, an Army brat and someone who works for the Justice System here I completely understand your concerns :)

I always carry some pamphlets with me that explain Geocaching and hand them out readily :D

Thanks for the explanation, Saraya. I hope you will give geocaching a try, now that you've found out about it and you've started an account. It can be a lot of fun and take you to some interesting and beautiful places sometimes.

It isn't often that geocachers are quite this dramatic in arousing suspicion. Despite using the term 'muggle', we are not under the illusion that we are magical beings or that non-cachers should not be respected. The majority of us tend to avoid the few caches which would have us standing in a river (well, at least where anyone can see us, and unless the kids and family dog can join in safely!)

Opinions are split over what to say to muggles, and some cachers will steadfastly want to mind their own business and expect others to do the same, and will only give an explanation to the police. Sadly it seems the geocacher involved was taking this line, but in rather more extreme conditions than usual. I can see where you're coming from, but it is also easy to see how this could happen.

Some cachers also prefer to go caching at night, when there are fewer people about. This seems to have backfired too. I do feel sorry for the unfortunate cacher, and hope that they have recovered from the ordeal.

Hopefully they have been busy getting their injury seen to (I hope it wasn't too nasty) and haven't contracted any additional deseases from the river water. With any luck, they will live to tell the tale (soon) and come here to give their side of the story.

You might not have changed the mind of the cachers you encountered, saraya, but you've given the rest of us pause for thought, thanks. Weils desease is no fun.

Eyes or ears?

Over reaction? Perhaps, with the benefit of hindsight. But if I saw someone acting strangely and bleeding I'd probably have called the police as well, working on the basis it might well be nothing but could easily be related to a crime recently committed or soon to be committed. The person might have been injured in the course of committing a crime; they could just as easily have been a victim of crime who might need police and/or medical attention.

The first time I was stopped by police while geocaching was along a river bank. It was in the suburbs of London but not the kind of place bustling with activity. They asked some basic questions about what I was doing and why I was wearing a hi-vis jacket (which seemed a daft question given I was cycling) and then went on their way. It was clear they were looking for something specific and the way they were checking the undergrowth I can only assume they were looking for a drugs stash or a dumped weapon or some such.