Polymer Clay Signature items

Here is a picture of a set of GeoCoins I made to put into caches. They're on the crude side, but they do show what you can do with a little effort and no sculpting tools:

DSC00167.jpg

I used Procreate, an epoxy modeling compound from Kraftmark

(Disclosure: I developed the ProCreate formula fro the hobby industry)

Constructive comments welcomed.

Edited by Eartha

Here is a picture of a set of GeoCoins I made to put into caches. They're on the crude side, but they do show what you can do with a little effort and no sculpting tools:

DSC00167.jpg

I used Procreate, an epoxy modeling compound from Kraftmark

(Disclosure: I developed the ProCreate formula fro the hobby industry)

Constructive comments welcomed.

These could be trackable signature items if you go to sigitem.com

These are considered signature items. They are neither geocoins, nor trackable on geocaching.com, so I am moving this to the general topics forums. But first, I will have to remove your link, as commercial links are not allowed.

Didn't know about the commercial link ban, but will keep it in mind in the future.

These are considered signature items. They are neither geocoins, nor trackable on geocaching.com, so I am moving this to the general topics forums. But first, I will have to remove your link, as commercial links are not allowed.

I see. To be considered a geocoin it has to have a trackable number from geocaching.com.

Here's the latest batch of ahem signature items I've created:

DSC00171.jpg

The coins were stamped out of Unnameable, then painted by a gold effect paint. I wasn't sure about using this "metallic" paint as I doubt it has any metal in it all, but I was curious what the final result might be.

Edited by Rummah
I see. To be considered a geocoin it has to have a trackable number from geocaching.com.
I wouldn't say that. I have several geocoins that are not trackable.

Did Groundspeak ever trademark "geocoin"? I'm guessing no.

To be discussed in the geocoin forum, it needs to be a trackable geocoin. Though I've seen other non-trackable coins discussed there occasionally.

These coins look interesting, and I'll definitely trade for them if I ever come across them.

Thanks for the information about Kraftmark ProCreate. I bookmarked that for future reference.

I feel like you're using these coins, this thread, and geocaching, just to advertise your sculpting product that you sell.

He removed the link so no!. He said he didn't know it wasn't allowed.

But the OP should spend some time reading the guidelines.

It was the moderator who removed the link from the OP:

Since then, the OP has made sure to mention the product by name in each of his posts. Gets around the issue of not being able link to the product, I suppose.

B.

I feel like you're using these coins, this thread, and geocaching, just to advertise your sculpting product that you sell.

He removed the link so no!. He said he didn't know it wasn't allowed.

But the OP should spend some time reading the guidelines.

Just because something doesn't have a link, doesn't mean it isn't a commercial advertisement. The brand name is still in his post This was most definitely advertising the OP's commercial product.

(edit: needed to look at the photos again)

Edited by UMainah

You could change it to "a type of polymer clay"

Yes, there are several brands of those at the hobby stores in multiple colors. Actually a cute idea and not very expensive, I might have to make some myself! Just shape and bake...

Now that is a good idea. Plenty of other compounds out there to use besides Unnameable.

Here's a picture of how I made the signature items from Unnameable:

DSC00172.jpg

The two grey disks are both sides of the prototype. I poured a clear epoxy of each after putting them at the bottom of a plastic tube. The tube and image face were both coated with silicone gel to prevent sticking. After the clear epoxy had cured, it was easy to remove it from the original prototype (a positive image). You put a small disk of uncured unnameable between each negative pieces and apply pressure, using a plastic tube to keep them in line. Pull back to create your very own signature item which can be trimmed, sanded or painted.

Here's a picture of Unnameable rolled out flat between two sheets of polyethylene film:

DSC00156.jpg

You can use any polymer clay for this as long as it has the right viscosity.

And here's how I cut out the individual disks:

DSC00159.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing what others can do with polymer clay.

Here's a picture of how I made the signature items from Unnameable:

DSC00172.jpg

The two grey disks are both sides of the prototype. I poured a clear epoxy of each after putting them at the bottom of a plastic tube. The tube and image face were both coated with silicone gel to prevent sticking. After the clear epoxy had cured, it was easy to remove it from the original prototype (a positive image). You put a small disk of uncured unnameable between each negative pieces and apply pressure, using a plastic tube to keep them in line. Pull back to create your very own signature item which can be trimmed, sanded or painted.

Here's a picture of Unnameable rolled out flat between two sheets of polyethylene film:

DSC00156.jpg

You can use any polymer clay for this as long as it has the right viscosity.

And here's how I cut out the individual disks:

DSC00159.jpg

Check sigitem.com you will see some other items made from polymer.

These could be trackable signature items if you go to sigitem.com

Nope. They are not taking any new "customers" at this time.

You can serialize your signature items anyway. I did that for some of mine (not clay), and a couple of people wrote me to ask how to "track" them :anicute:. I had specifically numbered them to submit to "sigitems.com" only to find they don't list sig items. It would also be bad if an off-site listing service went belly-up once your numbered sig items were in circulation, at least due to no valid URL anymore. If you'd like to place "unofficial trackables", using an email address is one simple way to sort of track them.

Edited by kunarion
]

I made some pretty sweet looking turquoise-like beads out of polymer clay. I used cool techniques like freezing and shaving the clay, then adding paint and luminous powders. Layering techniques, etc.

Clay is actually pretty easy to work with, and has a soft learning curve. Can be found on the cheap at any Micheals store. I often paired my clay creations with beads from the yearly rock and gem show down in Tucson.

Basically....polymer clay is cheap, easy, and available at any craft store. People can easily make their own sig items using it :)

Eta:trying to fix atrocious spelling...

Edited by JesandTodd

Suggestion : why not try a metal number stamp to mark the numbers?

Letter punches. I got a couple sets off eBay for about $6 a set, plus shipping (someone sold me one and I really have no idea how they didn't end up losing money on the shipping.)

Letter punches are great for other things, like punch GEOCACHE into an ammo box lid (use a wood block under it)

I also used letter punches to mark a fake surveyors monument with (actual GC number)

For waterbased or polymer clay these should work great and possibly give you some artistic effects, double punching, off center or crooked impressions to give a more rustic look.

Edited by DragonsWest